Brave and the Bold Casting Thread

My instinct is that trying really hard to avoid any overlap with Reeves vision would be a positive more than a negative. You could have the status quo be really, really different for a Batman movie - maybe a lot of the classic supporting characters have moved on and are replaced by successors, maybe Gordon is retired, maybe Alfred isn't around. Things that could really mix up the dynamic. Maybe at least initially they could completely avoid the classic rogues gallery in favor of more weird, obscure and fantastical ones.

Why build a DCU Batman with classic characters like Alfred and Gordon off the table? That seems like "we killed Dick Grayson off screen in BvS" all over again.

Why build a DCU Batman with classic characters like Alfred and Gordon off the table? That seems like "we killed Dick Grayson off screen in BvS" all over again.
Because there have been eight gazillion Batman movies and the more unique you are at this point the better? Especially if you already have the entire Bat Family to begin with.

I don't even like that Bruce is Batman in this. The only reason I was even okay with The Batman is because its so good and appeals so much to my personal taste. I'd be way more enthused if Dick was Batman or they were doing Batman Beyond.

My instinct is that trying really hard to avoid any overlap with Reeves vision would be a positive more than a negative. You could have the status quo be really, really different for a Batman movie - maybe a lot of the classic supporting characters have moved on and are replaced by successors, maybe Gordon is retired, maybe Alfred isn't around. Things that could really mix up the dynamic. Maybe at least initially they could completely avoid the classic rogues gallery in favor of more weird, obscure and fantastical ones.
I would be 100% against that. It would be Beware the Batman all over again.

I want all the classic fixtures to remain in place. Alfred and Gordon are musts. I want a solid Batfamily. I can take or leave Lucius though.

Batman
Alfred
Gordon
Dick
Jason
Barbara
Damian

that would be what I’d start with. I want Tim but they may skip over him

Last edited:
There's an argument to be made that Alfred or Gordon could be borderline useless in this shared universe Bat-Family context, and there's nothing to explore with them that Reeves isn't already exploring.

There's an argument to be made that Alfred or Gordon could be borderline useless in this shared universe Bat-Family context, and there's nothing to explore with them that Reeves isn't already exploring.
This. Ultimately, I think these should be Bat family movies first and solo Batman movies a distant, distant second. Ensemble pieces. A lot of the conventional tropes of Batman stories would be redundant in that context.

I would be 100% against that. It would be Beware the Batman all over again.

I want all the classic fixtures to remain in place. Alfred and Gordon are musts. I want a solid Batfamily. I can take or leave Lucius though.

Batman
Alfred
Gordon
Dick
Jason
Barbara
Damian

that would be what I’d start with. I want Tim but they may skip over him
I just don’t see the point when there’s already a standard Batman franchise which heavily features all those characters running.

I just don’t see the point when there’s already a standard Batman franchise which heavily features all those characters running.
If you’re leaning into a Bat family, why not include Robin’s surrogate uncle (Gordon) and surrogate Grandfather (Alfred)? I want to see those characters interact with the Batfamily.

If you’re leaning into a Bat family, why not include Robin’s surrogate uncle (Gordon) and surrogate Grandfather (Alfred)? I want to see those characters interact with the Batfamily.
Because they don't really bring anything too interesting to the Bat-Family dynamic. And I know it's kinda sacrilegious to say that because Alfred is a beloved character for good reason, but at the same time, there's an argument to be made there may be more dramatic impact to all of the interpersonal relationships if Bruce doesn't even have Alfred to rely on anymore, and if the Bat-Family doesn't have any other father figure to fall back on.

This. Ultimately, I think these should be Bat family movies first and solo Batman movies a distant, distant second. Ensemble pieces. A lot of the conventional tropes of Batman stories would be redundant in that context.
I'm not quite sure that's the approach they're gonna take seeing how Gunn described this as a Batman and Robin movie first, that just so happens to introduce the Bat-Family, but even in that context yeah I can see an argument to be made Alfred's just redundant. Even putting Reeves stuff aside, he just feels like a character that'd clog up screentime better used for other characters.

How would y'all feel if they killed Alfred in the film? Assuming it uses the death in a way to propel the story and characters at hand.

Alfred is part of the Bat Family. Gordon is also the father of Barbra Gordon so if she is part of that universe it would not make any sense to remove her actual father (and I don't see Reeves ever introducing Batgirl or Barbra in his movies, just like I don't see him introducing any other Bat-Family members).

For added context: I don't think the characters should be dead and out of the picture necessarily, though I think there's some real tragedy and pathos to be mined from doing a story about Alfred's passing. Gordon I'd imagine being around retired mostly as Barbara's Dad. It's just about creating radically different dynamics to what we've seen in Batman movies before.

How would y'all feel if they killed Alfred in the film? Assuming it uses the death in a way to propel the story and characters at hand.
Killing Alfred was a mistake in the comics and one that I think is on borrowed time. To hear Tom King tell it, the story had Damien seeing Alfred murdered by Bane in a cliffhanger, but the story was supposed to jump back in the next month with the reveal that Damien had been infected with Scarecrow fear gas and was seeing his worst nightmare. Alfred was never supposed to be dead. Dan Didio, who is a complete toolbox, saw the buzz that the ending generated with Alfred’s apparent death and called Tom King to lay down the order that the death had to be real. That decision ticked off Tom King as well as virtually every Batman fan alive. Everyone expected a fake out, but it turned out to be for real.

Tom King summed up quite well why it was a mistake. He said that Batman needs two people in his life: Alfred and Gordon. They act as a conscience for Bruce in a way that no one else, not even Dick, can serve. Without either of them, Batman is unmoored.

I 100% want Gordon and Alfred to be staples in the new Batman’s supporting cast

Ryan Gosling (42) as Batman
news-cover-2-2000x1100.jpg

Jaren Lewison (22) as Robin (Tim Drake)
jaren-lewison.jpg

Mark Rylance as Alfred
090_4187_d010_00135__h0zkkmp2yy.jpg

Bryan Cranston as Gordon (for a Drive reunion)
8ymED_d.webp

Maya Hawke (24) as Babs (if Grace is out)
jmwgaoys0jra1.jpg

Timothee Chalamet (27) as Nightwing
Timothee-Chalamet-Apple-Promo.jpg

Joel Edgerton as Slade (if Manganiello is out)
the-stranger-hero-1653161793826.jpg

Sofia Boutela as Talia (& some kid as Damian)
2995661-2022848892.jpg

And for a sequel,

Ashton Sanders (27) as Red Hood
Native-Son-HBO-Ashton-Sanders-e1560366335652.jpg

Adam Driver (39) as Joker
23d6487cbb5c2822573e435bedab2bad.jpg

Last edited:
Actors who could replace Ben Affleck as Batman in the DCU

- Alan Ritchson
- Rege Jean Page
- Henry Golding
- Jensen Ackles (2nd favorite)
- Jake Gyllenhaal (odds on pick)

Honestly... I'm sick of hearing about Jensen Ackles for Batman. He's a mediocre actor who got lucky with Supernatural. He might have the right amount of charisma for a CW show, but he simply doesn't have the chops or presence for the big screen.

Yes, he's doing a half decent job as the voice of Bats in the DTV's, but Gunn has so many more interesting options than a CW actor that's pushing 50.

Yeah, I definitely would not be into Ackles as Batman on paper. That just reminds me of people saying they’d rather have Scott Adkins over Pattinson after the latter got the role.

Neither can carry a film like this.

Actors who could replace Ben Affleck as Batman in the DCU

- Alan Ritchson
- Rege Jean Page
- Henry Golding
- Jensen Ackles (2nd favorite)
- Jake Gyllenhaal (odds on pick)
Ritchson has improved dramatically (no pun intended) in his acting but he is nowhere near the caliber of actor who should be considered for Batman. Neither is Ackles. I like Golding but I have a hard time picturing him leading a bat family or having the tortured psyche of Bruce. Page is my pick for Bond, so I’d rather him concentrate on that. And Gyllenhaal may have aged out. I’m not sure.

Ryan Gosling has been my favorite for the role since I saw drive in 2011, so if they can get him, he is my pick, Gyllenhaal and Cooper are exciting ideas as well, but I do want a big name for this.

Theroux was just cast in WB's Beetlejuice 2, he'd be great if it wasn't for his age. Agree on the Gosling thing though, but Cooper makes a lot more sense for Lex than bruce imo

I like the idea of Gosling as Bruce.

And the suggestion of Maya Hawke as Barbara is inspired.
While we are at it, let’s have a Steve and Robin reunion and have Maya Hawke as Barbara and Joe Keery as Dick Grayson/Nightwing

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"