Batman: The Animated Series or Batman: The Brave and the Bold?

6 short stories encapsulated within a 75 minute run time... does not equate to a 26 episode season with a singular and distinctive vision.
That doesn't change the fact that several stories just weren't that great, and that there were plenty of unnecessary scenes.

That doesn't change the fact that several stories just weren't that great, and that there were plenty of unnecessary scenes.

That may be so... but you still can't compare it to Batman: The Brave and the Bold, in what is essentially a light vs. dark debate.

Here's a question that I've asked a few times since day one: Why can't there be both? BTAS wasn't dark and dreary all the time, and the much maligned Schumacker movies weren't always lighthearted and campy. Even the Nolan films have their lighter moments.

BatB has had non-lighthearted moments. Batman's flashback to him as a kid at Christmas and Aquaman's depression after seeing a whale illegally hunted and killed come to mind.

BatB has had non-lighthearted moments. Batman's flashback to him as a kid at Christmas and Aquaman's depression after seeing a whale illegally hunted and killed come to mind.

Not to mention Deadman and Plastic Man's origins, the flashback with Batman taining with the terrible trio and Bronze Tiger,Ted Kord's death, Bruce Wayne's parents souls calling out to Batman's soul and Batman contemplating going towards the light. This show isn't just funny jokes and action it has a balance.

I've seen all but 3 episodes and there's not much of a balance, IMO. It's 90% funny jokes and action. I'm not saying it doesn't work. It just doesn't have that mix of the dark knight and caped crusader aspects that BTAS did, to me. That show had the grim vigilante and the superhero adventurer aspects. This only has the latter.

I thought rainbow Batman was pretty serious business...

I've seen all but 3 episodes and there's not much of a balance, IMO. It's 90% funny jokes and action. I'm not saying it doesn't work. It just doesn't have that mix of the dark knight and caped crusader aspects that BTAS did, to me. That show had the grim vigilante and the superhero adventurer aspects. This only has the latter.
What balance? There's no such thing as balance, since there can be straight up comedy and totally depressingly serious. Not to mention there are far, far, far more aspects than simply the two you mention. I could counter as saying this show is a perfect balance of Silver Age mixed with modern superhero sensibility, but it and every show is more than the sum of two parts.

What did you guys think about 'gotham knight'? I thought it was pretty damn good.

I enjoyed it a lot, but there seems to be more than a few on this board don't like it. Quite frankly, I don't understand why.

I didnt like the animation in most of it. Not a fan of that style.

I didnt like the animation in most of it. Not a fan of that style.

I quite liked it, I'd give it a 3 1/2 out of 5. What I didn't like was the inferior version of the TNBA episode Legends of the Dark Knight (though it had awesome animation with the exception of talking faces), as well as parts like the hospital bit in the fifth story. There was no reason for the latter, it felt like the producers were putting bloody moments like that in the stories because they weren't censored anymore, or wanted to continually remind people that this was an "adult" film. I also didn't like that Wayne Manor was present in the last story.

That said, the stories In Darkness Dwells, Training and Deadshot all blew me away, with the latter two being some of the best Batman stories animated in my opinion.

Gotham Knight was amazing, from the strong themes to the feel of Nolan's Batman as a 'meta-series'. Very well made, plus it gave us Kevin Conroy as Batman after so long! In the Nolan World!

As for BTAS or BTBATB, I think it's a terrible debate and just want to add that they are each very different interpretations of the character. I personally love BTAS, it was a much better series. I think a better discussion would be between The Batman and Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

For me its not even a contest. Animated series at the time was and still is a very, very unique animated series. No other had the same feel and graphics and stories as this one. And the designs. Brave and the Bold is much more of a generic cartoon which isnt really special in any way, no offense to the fans of the series, for me its just another Batman cartoon and nothing that would stand out or revolutionize animated movies at all

Batman: The Animated Series wins, hands-down, with its combination of depth, adventure, and heart. But this is just talking about the first series; the spinoffs like The New Batman/Superman Adventures tended to gnaw away at Batman's spirit, making him more sour and less spry, and a bit of a spoilsport. Batman: The Brave and the Bold might not beat BTAS, but it's go-get-em attitude might be preferable to something like Justice League, whose Batman seemed neutered by his own negativity. I would also claim it's definitely preferable to The Batman, which always came across to me as tame and generic.

Batman: The Animated Series wins, hands-down, with its combination of depth, adventure, and heart. But this is just talking about the first series; the spinoffs like The New Batman/Superman Adventures tended to gnaw away at Batman's spirit, making him more sour and less spry, and a bit of a spoilsport. Batman: The Brave and the Bold might not beat BTAS, but it's go-get-em attitude might be preferable to something like Justice League, whose Batman seemed neutered by his own negativity. I would also claim it's definitely preferable to The Batman, which always came across to me as tame and generic.

This is mostly how I feel. :up:

with the two latest episodes, the superman-being-a-jerk, and scooby doo batmite thing, BatB is 100% equal to BTAS. They are both equally good and equally awesome! I love the shows with all my heart :D

I love all the series near as much

"The Batman" has something different in it though, it manages to pull me to the fan base back at times I find myself pushed away from Batman

Batman the animated series is just fun as the best Batman series in story telling and voice actors quality
Batman the Brave & the Bold is fun for being not too grim, funny show, but doesn't undermine Batman qualities before Jason Todd dies, and it's fun cause it's -as Batman centric as it is- less Batman centric than the other two, we see plenty of other great heroes who need treatment, it's fun

None of the two series in comparison did what "The Batman" does though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"