• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Iron Man Bridges is The Mandarin & Favreau is Happy Hogan.

^ We'll see what happens. The problems is if they finished casting the main roles and have not announced the hiring of an Asian actor for a main role there's nothing left to assume unless they're hiding something. Honestly if the Mandarin is Asian and this is filming in LA. How long do you think it'll be before the actor is spotted on set. Someone would spill the beans.

Why the secrecy with Bridges role and no other role???

Why say the cast is complete without announcing Mandarin???

1 + 1 = 2

^ We'll see what happens. The problems is if they finished casting the main roles and have not announced the hiring of an Asian actor for a main role there's nothing left to assume unless they're hiding something. Honestly if the Mandarin is Asian and this is filming in LA. How long do you think it'll be before the actor is spotted on set. Someone would spill the beans.

Why say the cast is complete without announcing Mandarin???

1 + 1 = 2
well, i dont think Fav is above screwing around with the fans (who are the only people really looking at the Mandarin casting so closely) It could really mean any thing at this point, we should wait for more info

Once again, what secrecy? So we don't know his name, big flippin' deal. We know the essence of who his character is, and he's not a Chinese evil warlord. He's just a made up character, simple as that.

I hope to god detective Dark is way off because Bridges as Mandarin would suck

442pxmandarinbg6.jpg

It is way off if he tries to play the Mandarin we know from the comics...though Favreau said we won't be seeing the Mandarin we know from the comics. He'll be different. He didn't say how. Again I'm making these assumptions off what we know...not off what we dont' know.

Once again, what secrecy? So we don't know his name, big flippin' deal. We know the essence of who his character is, and he's not a Chinese evil warlord. He's just a made up character, simple as that.

What secrecy? What's the name of the character he's playing??? All the other actors have characters names attached.

It is way off if he tries to play the Mandarin we know from the comics...though Favreau said we won't be seeing the Mandarin we know from the comics. He'll be different. He didn't say how. Again I'm making these assumptions off what we know...not off what we dont' know.

If the Mandarin isn't an asian man then he might as well just be a made up villain

I think had a certain vision of Stark and Iron Man for this film that was very close to the source material but the villains available probably didn't jive to him for a big budget film, and Marvel's first studio film which is a HUGE deal. It must succeed. Not only do most people NOT know about Iron Man as far as details, probably less know the Mandarin. I'm talking the general public. Things don't translate the same from comic to film as most hope. I'm guessing the character's traits and "name" will be a nod to the original character but he won't be some magic clown w/rings.

I never suggested he should be magical but if he wanted a tech villain Crimson Dynamo and Stane are there,if he uses Mandarin he could make him a techno terrorist and still make him asian not a middle aged white guy

I hate to get into this nonsense of Bridges as Mandarin. He'll most likely play Happy Hogan, Morgan Stark, or Obidah Stane.

However...you want a sensical explanation for Bridges being Mandarin? Here goes...

Mandarin is a mythical criminal leader of the East. He's responsible for supporting terrorism as well. In fact, if you believe all the stories, he's got his hands into everything evil in that part of the world.

Stark Enterprises makes weapons. Almost exclusively for States. They don't deal with shady governments. Morgan Stark/Obidah Stane works for Stark Enterprises, but he doesn't run it. He knows he'll never take control, since Tony's dad will pass the company on to Tony. Morgan/Obidah starts dealing Stark equipment to terrorists and insurgents across the world. He basically has to create a fictional personna (the Mandarin) to hide his trail.

Therefore, some of the stories of the Mandarin's existence are indeed true. He does illegal arms dealing, technically supporting "evil" in the Far East. However, he doesn't have magic rings. He could easily create his own Iron Monger armor though to combat Iron Man, when IM starts taking down his organization.

Well, that didn't take long.

I still prefer Bridges as a mentor, like the guy in the Ellis IM Extremis arc, or Happy Hogan. I don't immediately see Bridges as a seedy type, but it could work and be a nice surpise.

^ He's not Happy Hogan that's confirmed... but very well could be Howard Stark...again who could also have a dual identity kept secret from his son. Who the hell knows.

Right lets break this down into simple terms people.

• Most of the roles have been cast. Not all as some have said but most.
  • Mandarin being a white guy for no reason is racist. Deal with it.
  • Marvel are not gonna let favreau make such a stupid casting choice on their first movie.
  • The two roles we have heard nothing about are....
  • The Mandarin
  • And
  • Edwin Jarvis
  • Now who does bridges most resemble. (Keeping in mind the report also said The character would be a close friend and confidant of stark ie not starks mortal foe.)
  • Does jeff bridges look like a power mad, chinese villain?
  • Or Does Jef Bridges look like a middle-aged white guy who could possible be a butler of some kind?
  • I think its door number two folks.
  • People have raised the point that jeff bridges character has been kept secret....
  • ...but surely that could simply be because jarvis is an important character in both iron man and avengers....
  • ....and thereby jeff bridges will prob be in the inevitable avengers movie as well and they want to guage the fan reaction before blurting it out.
  • If anyone wants me i`ll be in the teachers lounge. homework in on next tuesday. class dismissed. lol.
  • Oh yeah additionally. Favreau said he was changing the character but people are putting too much into that. He meant he was grounding the character. The rings in fact are still in. They are apparantly gonna be science based instead of magic though. If the rings are still in nearly their original form then his ethnicity is prob gonna remain the same as well.

Nobody here said he'd be a good actor to play Mandarin. I suggested this due to process of elimination. After the first insult I stopped reading your post so when you learn how to communicate to others in a civil fashion I'll consider it.

Nobody here said he'd be a good actor to play Mandarin. I suggested this due to process of elimination. After the first insult I stopped reading your post so when you learn how to communicate to others in a civil fashion I'll consider it.

Sorry but a lot of the people here seem to have Common Sense Deflectors they just don`t listen to reason you have to go on and on and on.

They`re idiots. When they read the truth about this issue they shut down and ignore it."Can`t handle...reality want to see.. iron man movie with.... jeff bridges as...mandarin....stone cold steve austin as pepper potts....ughhh....and the-guy-who does-the-sound-effects-in-the-police-academy-movies as spymaster....ughh."

lol i`m just joking dude.

^ Ok now Batman in the Jeff Bridges Cast thread says that Favreau posted that HE will not be playing Happy. I'm confused on whether he means Favreau or Bridges won't be playing happy. I'm assuming he means he won't be playing Happy himself which kind of throws things for a loop. If that's the case then Favreau & company are F'ng with the fans. I like it. We're missing Happy and Mandarin and Feige's comments really put the screws on things here. WTF is he talking about. I'm gonna do some more digging here. Watch out...Favreau is The Mandarin. LOL Or Downey Jr will also be playing Starks evil brother Mandarin L. Starks. ;)

Alright, I will admit you can be right about Mandarin. But still, I don't think Bridges is good enough choice for Mandarin :down

^ He's not Happy Hogan that's confirmed... but very well could be Howard Stark...again who could also have a dual identity kept secret from his son. Who the hell knows.

I kind of wonder if maybe Favreau decided to retain the father issues that appeared in the Gough-Miller-Hayter Iron Man scripts. I think that Bridges is playing Howard Stark and will only appear in flashbacks. It would make sense given the description Marvel gave. That's just my theory.

What secrecy? What's the name of the character he's playing??? All the other actors have characters names attached.

Dude, once again what does that mean? Look, your theory is that they're doing something like Begins, right? Where the character is someone else at first, then turns out to be Mandarin later. That would mean that whoever he is pretending to be first needs a name also... so why haven't they released that name? They told us Liam was Ducard, didn't they? So whether Bridges is John Smith, or the Mandarin pretending to be John Smith, they would still tell us the name John Smith.

Since they DIDNT tell us that name, it means there must be some other reason. Maybe they just didn't care, since he's a made up character and it's not important right now. Maybe they havne't finalized a name, since names of characters are often switched around in script drafts (Rachel Dawes used to be Rachel Dodson). Or maybe he's someone like Howard Stark or Jarvis.

The point is, this secret identity theory because they dont tell us his name doesn't make sense, because releasing the characters fake name wouldn't mean ****.

My God people. I did say there are a couple of reasons why I might be wrong. This is NOT something I'm wishing for or against. Just trying to figure it out. If the cast the Mandarin and didn't reveal it then of course my theory is wrong. I just don't see a reason why to keep Bridges character's name a mystery and the other's not.

I think that Favreau is really enjoying the debate...:woot:

Maybe it's not like the Usual Suspects, but like Fight Club, and the Mandarin is another personality of Tony Stark.

Or like the Hulk. Tony Stark gets a little liquor in him and is transformed into his inner demon................a chinese warlord, the Manderin!

Or like the Hulk. Tony Stark gets a little liquor in him and is transformed into his inner demon................a chinese warlord, the Manderin!

I would honestly fly to the studio and stab Favs in the neck with a pencil if he did that.

Why is this so hard to figure out....???

Jeff Bridges is NOT the Mandarin. (Why do you guys assume he's in this film, anyway? From what I understand, Favreau is NOT making Mandarin the villain in this movie.)
NOT Happy Hogan. (Favreau said so specifically.)
NOT Obadiah Stane. (Definitely not a friend or Stark employee.)
NOT Howard Stark. (Not old enough to be RDJ's pappy.)

Sooooo.....read again:

Bridges will play, according to The Hollywood Reporter, "a confidant and close business associate of Stark, a longtime employee at defense contractor Stark Industries who plays a major role in shaping Stark's life."

"We've been talking to Jeff for a long time," says Marvel's president of production Kevin Feige. "He's excited about doing a movie like this, and we're excited to have him in this particular role. There are many facets to this character which I can't discuss, but looking at the spectrum of all of Jeff's roles, this fits in nicely with the man who played Starman, Tucker, Big Lebowski with a little bit of Tron thrown in."

Who does that describe best....???

"Kevin O'Brien was an engineer working for the newly-opened Lakani island plant of Stark Industries who came to the attention of Anthony Stark, when he invented a stun-ray that managed to harmlessly disperse a crowd of violent protestors. Stark invited O'Brien to transfer to Stark's main plant on Long Island, New York, and he accepted. Despite a careless streak that once caused the laboratory he was working in to explode, he became a close friend of Stark, and was soon appointed head of Stark's research department. On several occasions, O'Brien assisted Stark and his supposed bodyguard Iron Man, who was really Stark himself, notably against the Spymaster and the Espionage Elite, saving Tony' Stark's life on more than one occasion. Stark then decided to reveal to O'Brien that he was secretly Iron Man, and to build for him s second suit of armor for use in the event of an emergency. That emergency came a short time later, when Iron Man and his girlfriend Marianne Rogers were taken captive by the superhuman madman Mikas the Soulfather. Putting on the armor before it was fully tested, O'Brien fell prey to a malfunction in the cybernetic curcuitry controlling the armor which apparently stimulated the regions of the brain where rage and jealousy originate.

O'Brien found himself seized with sudden attraction for Stark's girlfriend Marianne Rogers, and became extremely jealous of Stark's power, looks and fortune. At the same time Simon Gilbert, then chairman of the board of Stark Industries' stockholders, grew alarmed that Stark was moving out of munitions production and mapped strategies with the board to seize controlling interest in the firm from its principal stockholder, Stark himself. O'Brien, clad in armor and calling himself the Guardsman, offered to aid the board in their plot against Stark. As a show of support, he agreed to quell a protest rally outside the plant. The Guardsman aimed his repulser rays at the crowd, injuring four protesters. Sickened by what he did, O'Brien turned on the renegade board members, roughing them up. But seeing Tony Stark's with Marianne Rogers caused him to once again become unbalanced and he went outside to vent his rage on the growing crowd of protestors. Stark donned his Iron Man armor and engaged the Guardsman in battle to prevent him from doing more damage. Losing, the Guardsman sought refuge in an experimental tank. In an attempt to stop him without hurting him, Iron Man trained his repulsor rays on the vehicle and accidentally hit its fuel supply. The tank exploded, killing Kevin O'Brien."

Jeff Bridges will play Kevin O'Brien, the original Guardsman. He will be Tony Stark's closest friend -- and greatest enemy.

There's your story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"