Briton Matthew Hedges jailed for life on UAE spy charge

jolldan

Sidekick
Reaction score
_104016870_durham.jpg

A British PhD student has been sentenced to life in prison after being found guilty of spying in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

Matthew Hedges, 31, of Durham University, denies the charge and said he had been conducting research.

A court in Abu Dhabi has declared him guilty of "spying for or on behalf of" the UK government. His family claim the verdict is based on a false confession.

The PM said the UK was urgently seeking talks with the Emirati government.

Theresa May said Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt was "urgently seeking a call with Foreign Minister Abdullah bin Zayed."

Mr Hunt said he was " deeply shocked and disappointed" by the verdict.

A statement from the family said during the first six weeks of his detention, Hedges was interrogated without a lawyer or consular access available.

During this time, they said, he was made to sign a document in Arabic which it transpired was a confession.

"Matthew does not speak or read Arabic," the family statement said.

Hedges' wife, Daniela Tejada, who was present during the five minute hearing earlier, said she was in "complete shock".
_104016867_durham2.jpg

She said: "Matthew is innocent. The Foreign Office know this and have made it clear to the UAE authorities that Matthew is not a spy for them.

"This whole case has been handled appallingly from the very beginning with no one taking Matthew's case seriously."

She said the British government "must take a stand now" and the UAE authorities "should feel ashamed for such an obvious injustice".

Ms Tejada said her husband shook his head as the verdict was delivered, adding: "I am very scared for Matt.

"I don't know where they are taking him or what will happen now. Our nightmare has gotten even worse."

At Prime Minister's Questions, Tory MP Crispin Blunt told Mrs May she should make clear to the UAE that "if he is not released, I don't see why we should be committed to their defence".

According to the state-run newspaper The National, a life sentence means a maximum of 25 years in jail after which Hedges would be deported.

Crispin has the right idea, don't deal with any country that practices these backward kangaroo court systems where you can be hauled up on charge like this because someone said you confessed.

Sometimes I wonder why countries like the UK and especially the US put up with this sort of nonsense. What exactly does the UAE provide the UK that the UK can't survive without?

25 years in jail after which Hedges would be deported.

So why not just deport him now? Because they want to make an example?

I agree with Marvolo, it's ridiculous to stand for this crap just because these countries are happy living in the Dark Ages.

25 years in jail after which Hedges would be deported.

So why not just deport him now? Because they want to make an example?

I agree with Marvolo, it's ridiculous to stand for this crap just because these countries are happy living in the Dark Ages.
Oh that is simple. If you deport someone you are not guaranteed that the person will serve its time. Thats why you jail them and deport them after.
Now i think we can all agree that there is nothing worth spying on in the UAE so this is a lot of bull. Westerners should just ignore these countries. You hear so many bad stories baout them. Like a woman getting jailed because she got raped.

Oh that is simple. If you deport someone you are not guaranteed that the person will serve its time. Thats why you jail them and deport them after.
Now i think we can all agree that there is nothing worth spying on in the UAE so this is a lot of bull. Westerners should just ignore these countries. You hear so many bad stories baout them. Like a woman getting jailed because she got raped.

This is what shocked me the most I have been to Dubai many times its about as westernized as a Muslim country can get. Obviously there are still aspects of the culture that are not going to change in a hurry but I would have thought if you were doing actual spy work Saudi Arabia or Iran would have been more of target.

Does the UK have a destroyer somewhere near the coast? Heavy artillery strikes tend to change stubborn minds.:hehe:

This is what shocked me the most I have been to Dubai many times its about as westernized as a Muslim country can get. Obviously there are still aspects of the culture that are not going to change in a hurry but I would have thought if you were doing actual spy work Saudi Arabia or Iran would have been more of target.

I dont think this has anything to do with spying. If I had to guess the UAE wants something from the UK. So theyve taken a hostage and will use him as leverage to get something.

UAE Pardon Matthew Hedges!!!

He is expected to be released today. Great news all round.

Maybe don't go spy in a foreign country, one with well-known harsh penalties?

Let's be honest, he probably did it on some level. Maybe the confession was exaggerated, up-and-above what he actually did, but he probably was doing something. Knew what he was getting into.

No different to the western drug-smugglers into Bali or Singapore or wherever. Sure, we're not going to kill drug dealers here in the west, but if you're going to do that there you can't claim ignorance on the potential consequences. You get caught, you're in their hands, I don't really have a problem with that. Harsh as it seems to me as a westerner, it's not the west. Do as you will.

Regarding the "nothing worth spying on in the UAE" stuff... *Laughs* Yeah, if you don't think the CIA or British agencies have people in countries like the UAE, you're kidding yourself. It probably wasn't anything military related, but the guy was a college professor right? Probably mingling with some fairly important people over there, he's the type these agencies would go after as an informant.

Maybe don't go spy in a foreign country, one with well-known harsh penalties?

Let's be honest, he probably did it on some level. Maybe the confession was exaggerated, up-and-above what he actually did, but he probably was doing something. Knew what he was getting into.

No different to the western drug-smugglers into Bali or Singapore or wherever. Sure, we're not going to kill drug dealers here in the west, but if you're going to do that there you can't claim ignorance on the potential consequences. You get caught, you're in their hands, I don't really have a problem with that. Harsh as it seems to me as a westerner, it's not the west. Do as you will.

Regarding the "nothing worth spying on in the UAE" stuff... *Laughs* Yeah, if you don't think the CIA or British agencies have people in countries like the UAE, you're kidding yourself. It probably wasn't anything military related, but the guy was a college professor right? Probably mingling with some fairly important people over there, he's the type these agencies would go after as an informant.

There is literally no evidence to support that claim.

I dunno guys, I don't think the UAE would sentence someone to rot in prison without good reason (sarcasm).

And none that he didn't. Burden of proof isn't exactly a thing in the UAE.

I'm willing to believe he's innocent. I've also seen nothing to indicate he is, it's a little hard to just jump on the poor-put-upon-westerner train. Like, ****, of course his wife & family are going to say he wasn't involved in espionage. They'd say that if he was, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"