• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Buying 2 TPB's on thursday

Nathan Petrelli

Civilian
Reaction score
I'm buying two graphic novels on Thursday, I already have Arkham Asylum and The Killing Joke. I'm thinking about buying The Long Halloween and Dark Victory. The Man Who Laughs is pretty impossible to get around here.

What two novels do you suggest that I should buy?

get Long Halloween and Dark Victory, two of my favourites, very well written and drawn, Leob and Sale are excellent.

I suggest you take a look at the comics recommendation thread. I would recommend that you get Year One and The Long Halloween

Agreed with Tricky Dicky ^ :up:

get Long Halloween and Dark Victory, two of my favourites, very well written and drawn, Leob and Sale are excellent.

I don't think The Long Halloween is well written at all.

I suggest you take a look at the comics recommendation thread. I would recommend that you get Year One and The Long Halloween

I would go to the comics thread but I was hoping for a quicker answer and more replies. :oldrazz:

Long Halloween and Year One

Two of my favorites. Worth every penny.

Long Halloween is a must, one of the greatest Batman comics of all time, and its used as reference for TDK.
If you can find the Man who Laughs, I would get it, its a freaking awesome comic and probably my favorite Joker story to date :up:.

Not a TPB but I suggest getting The Complete History Of Batman, excellent read :up:

I agree with drillmaster.
The Man Who Laughs is amazing, but its kinda short.
You should look at "Batman: Hush" sometime. It's two books but really good stuff.

Ok, The Long Halloween it is. Now, what for the other?

You should read Year One before you read The Long Halloween. It's the starting point for Batman's continuity and introduces a lot of the mob characters that are featured in TLH and Dark Victory.

Plus--I'll say it, even though it's the minority view at SHH--it's better than TLH in every way conceivable. Year One is damn near perfect.

Ok. Year One and The Long Halloween it is then. I'm also bidding on The Jokers Last Laugh and Death In the Family, hopefully will win them both below $10. I'm going to be spending $40 each on Year One and TLH!!!

Ok. Year One and The Long Halloween it is then. I'm also bidding on The Jokers Last Laugh and Death In the Family, hopefully will win them both below $10. I'm going to be spending $40 each on Year One and TLH!!!
Is that not a bit much?

Plus--I'll say it, even though it's the minority view at SHH--it's better than TLH in every way conceivable. Year One is damn near perfect.

It should never be the minority opinion, but alas. :csad:

TLH is such a hollow piece of work, can't understand how this could get so popular. (And no, I had this opinion since it came out, probably when a lot of you guys weren't reading comics)

Jeph Loeb's work always seems to be "fan fiction". It's fan fiction quality.

And not good fan fiction.

Eh.

TLH hollow???? No way in hell.

Also, besides Year One showing Batman's "origin" there is really nothing great about it IMO. Terrible art, mediocre story at best. No real supervillains. Granted its "Year One" and hes just starting out, but its just boring. IMO its one of the most overrated "bests" of the Batman universe. My favorite part about it is the ending reference, :hoboj:

TLH hollow???? No way in hell.

Also, besides Year One showing Batman's "origin" there is really nothing great about it IMO. Terrible art, mediocre story at best. No real supervillains. Granted its "Year One" and hes just starting out, but its just boring. IMO its one of the most overrated "bests" of the Batman universe. My favorite part about it is the ending reference, :hoboj:

Well, I disagree with everything you've said right here, except for the lack of supervillains (Catwoman doesn't really count). I love the story, and one of the things I like about it is that that it operates on a much smaller more character-driven scale than some of the other "must-read" Bat-books.

As for the art. I don't even know what to say. Everybody's opinon of artwork is subjective, and I wouldn't aim to persuade anybody to feel something that they don't feel on their own. Personally, though, I think the Year One artwork is amazing--the pencils, the inks, the colors (especially in the trade), the lettering--it all fits perfectly with the feel of the story.

Well, I disagree with everything you've said right here, except for the lack of supervillains (Catwoman doesn't really count). I love the story, and one of the things I like about it is that that it operates on a much smaller more character-driven scale than some of the other "must-read" Bat-books.

As for the art. I don't even know what to say. Everybody's opinon of artwork is subjective, and I wouldn't aim to persuade anybody to feel something that they don't feel on their own. Personally, though, I think the Year One artwork is amazing--the pencils, the inks, the colors (especially in the trade), the lettering--it all fits perfectly with the feel of the story.
I agree with that, to each his own I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"