Can Thor rival Superman movie wise in terms of being on the sci-fi/fantasy/action...

To address the title of this thread"...No it won't rival Superman if that clip they showed on Entertainment Tonight is any indicator. It looked like a scene from a Fall Guy episode. I'm guessing Thor wearing a jacket and street clothes is one of those great contributions the Ultimates have made to the character. Don't get me wrong...I'm hoping amongst everybody that'll it be good. Branaugh + Thor = sure winner. I thought. And I still hope.

....No, it's not Ultimate influence. Thor having a human alter ego was straight from 616. It's not an added addition from the filmmakers or any other source. That's how it was in the comics.

It's not a contribution from any comics. Thor falls to Earth and loses his powers. While on Earth, he wears normal clothes for a bit. It's basic common sense. I fail to see how this is such a big deal that people have felt the need to comment on it.

yea for all we know when he falls to earth he could be stark naked and what else is he going to be wearing. Or if he does fall to earth in costume, jane and the other humans probably tell thor it would be best if he isnt wearing a "flashy" outfit to put attention to himself to he finds his hammer.

It's not a contribution from any comics. Thor falls to Earth and loses his powers. While on Earth, he wears normal clothes for a bit. It's basic common sense. I fail to see how this is such a big deal that people have felt the need to comment on it.

I'm confused. I was disagreeing with him. Thor wore human clothes while on earth in the comics. That's what I was saying, which is what I was pointing out to Agent 194 because he was using that as a point of criticism for the film. I wasn't saying it was a bad idea that he was wearing human clothes.

he wore human clothes when he pretended to be Sigurd Jarlson( or something like that). He was a construction worker

well wasnt Donald Blake another person...when he was the construction worker he was Thor in a hardhat and toolbelt(and other clothes sick minds)

well wasnt Donald Blake another person...when he was the construction worker he was Thor in a hardhat and toolbelt(and other clothes sick minds)

To be honest I was always confused about how the whole Donald Blake thing worked. I have a few of the Essential Avengers collections (the first few volumes) that I always read as a kid, and I always assumed Donald Blake was Thor and he just transformed, but I never knew for sure. Corp can probably clarify. He's the Thor expert round these parts.

i always thought they were like Captain Marvel and Rick Jones...two beings sharing the same space

You're probably right. I never read a whole lot of Thor comics. Most of my exposure to him was through the Avengers.

back in the 80's Marvel put out this awesome series called Marvel Age. What it did was reprint the old stories and place them in chronological order with the other stories. So you'd have a book that might show Thor fighting the Lavamen, while the FF fought the Moleman, while Ironman fought Paste pot pete...i used to love that book and which Marvel would go back to doing that....its how I read old Thor stories

Now that would be a nice collection to have. I wonder if there are any of those floating around? I wouldn't mind buying a couple of those.

I'm confused. I was disagreeing with him. Thor wore human clothes while on earth in the comics. That's what I was saying, which is what I was pointing out to Agent 194 because he was using that as a point of criticism for the film. I wasn't saying it was a bad idea that he was wearing human clothes.
I wasn't taking issue with you specifically, just citing your post as part of this seemingly infinite merry-go-round of people bringing up the issue and having it shot down with basic logic over and over when it's really not even a big deal.

As for the question of the Blake/Thor relationship, it's definitely kept pretty mysterious. From what I've read, it seems more like Blake is exactly what Thor would've been if he were born human. Same soul, same drive to help others, same passion, etc. but with different environmental factors (the limp, growing up in a peaceful society, the fact that killing anything that threatens you is looked down on in human society, etc.) that create a different outlook on a very different life. Thor and Blake are kind of like a living "nature vs. nurture" debate. But it's always been said that they share the same soul, so basically Blake is Thor as a human and Thor is Blake as a god.

THor is a very different story compared to Superman...sure they both have god like powers and increadible streangth, but face it the movie THor should be compared to is a cross between Lord of the RIngs and Star Wars. Where instead of being centered on multiple heroes it centers more on one and one alone.

hear hear

The Superman films barely have any sci-fi in them...at least compared to the comics.

Superman and Thor? Apples and oranges?

Thor is more mythical fantasy. Superman is genuine sci fi/alien stuff.

Now i know there is a splash of sci fi to Thor, but not on the level of Superman.

I wasn't taking issue with you specifically, just citing your post as part of this seemingly infinite merry-go-round of people bringing up the issue and having it shot down with basic logic over and over when it's really not even a big deal.

As for the question of the Blake/Thor relationship, it's definitely kept pretty mysterious. From what I've read, it seems more like Blake is exactly what Thor would've been if he were born human. Same soul, same drive to help others, same passion, etc. but with different environmental factors (the limp, growing up in a peaceful society, the fact that killing anything that threatens you is looked down on in human society, etc.) that create a different outlook on a very different life. Thor and Blake are kind of like a living "nature vs. nurture" debate. But it's always been said that they share the same soul, so basically Blake is Thor as a human and Thor is Blake as a god.

Ah. I get ya.

And I figured you would know more about the Blake thing. I really need to start reading some more Thor stuff.

Eh, JMS paints a pretty good picture of their relationship in his run. It's changed and evolved over the years: for example, back in his first couple appearances, there was a strong implication that Thor was actually just a separate body that Blake's transformed into, not that Thor was the actual god, trapped in Blake's form for years. But JMS portrays them as two sides of the same coin, which is how they've been portrayed for the majority of their existence--two distinct personalities sharing a soul and a body and intimately understanding of each other, even if they don't always share the same views.

I'm sort of glad they're changing that in the movie. I'm not a big fan of the Donald Blake thing, though I'm sure he's been in good stories.

I like the Thor/Blake relationship. I don't think it's absolutely essential to the character, but I prefer to see Thor with Blake than without. Granted, it would probably just overcomplicate the movie, given that they'd basically have to establish two main characters with their own full lives instead of one.

hear hear

Thanks for the heads up. I mean in reality this movie won't really feel anything like Superman. Superman is an alien from a highly technologicaly advanced race....who are on thier own planet basicly human. Even in his world Thor is one of the most powerful beings. I think the Lord of the RIngs comparison only makes sense when paired with a Star Wars comparison.

THis world they are creating as Asgaurd is not going to be like anything we have ever seen, the battle sequences will probably draw some similiarities to LotR, but really, the gear and overall feel of the characters is going to be rather futuristic, and yet different from say futuristic in an earthly sense (like say Aliens Battle Star G. Star Trek)...hence the Star Wars refrence...afterall the best part of Star Wars was always the setting.... of

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away....

Asguard can pull the same kind of otherworldlyness fairy tale aspect

Last edited:
I hate to make the comparison but I'm guessing the Thor movie is gonna be more or less like the 1987 Masters of the Universe movie (started off in Eternia then He-Man and the gang made their way to Earth,etc.....). That kind of similar concept.

I hate to make the comparison but I'm guessing the Thor movie is gonna be more or less like the 1987 Masters of the Universe movie (started off in Eternia then He-Man and the gang made their way to Earth,etc.....). That kind of similar concept.

wow..... that is a hideous comparison....didn't that movie have some Troll like thing that played a flute like instrument to open up protals or something...you know something that was NEVER in the cartoon.

The Characters were BARELY recognizable Dolph was Terrible in that roll with a capital T. Nothing made sense, and worst of all Earth NEVER played a part in any episode of He- Man ever so it made...well lets face it no sense.

At least Thor spends time in both worlds.... Tends to make sense that the movie would follow that.

By your comparison I could Say...

Iron Man kinda turned out like Steel... with Shaqalicious.

The point I was trying to make is Thor (as far as his homeland) will probably be old fashioned and basic but with a futuristic twist to it (like Eternia in 87 MOTU movie or like someone else said, Star Wars [a long time ago in a galaxy far far away]).

How exactly did Eternia have futursitic twsits? I really don't remember, I have tried to forget that movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"