First Avenger Captain America needs to be the ANTI-GI JOE

TheVileOne

Eternal
Reaction score
It makes me sick to my stomach what's happened with GI JOE. Suddenly GI JOE can't be American anymore. GI JOE has to be multinationals and the Americans have to be the villains. GI freaking JOE.

Don Frye said, its time we had someone stop apologizing for being who we are.

If Captain America takes the GI JOE route it will be a disgrace. Captain America needs to embrace what it is and not be apologetic about it. I'm not saying Captain America needs to justify America torturing suspects or POW's or listening to cell phone records or spying, but it needs to be treated as the important, sacred that it is.

Gary Hartle who did the recent MOTU series, Next Avengers, and is currently working on Tales of Asgard once talked to me about how much he loved Cap and how he was looking for reference on Cap, and then Hartle's father told Hartle about how he was *reading* Captain America in the trenches of WWII.

Don't you guys get it? Captain America is rooted in a time where so many were actually reading comics. Millions were actually reading comics in America, that never happens today. And our soldiers were reading Captain America while under fire during the war.

A movie can't take this **** lightly and just deny it because of Obama-fever and because everyone hates Bush. If this movie goes the route of GI JOE: Rise of Cobra, it won't just be a disaster, it will be a failure.

I doubt marvel will turn cap into the crap that is gi joe and i havent even seen the film.

I doubt they would either. But now after seeing what's happened to GI JOE, its equally important to reinforce this.

It makes me sick to my stomach what's happened with GI JOE. Suddenly GI JOE can't be American anymore. GI JOE has to be multinationals and the Americans have to be the villains. GI freaking JOE.

If Captain America takes the GI JOE route it will be a disgrace. Captain America needs to embrace what it is and not be apologetic about it. I'm not saying Captain America needs to justify America torturing suspects or POW's or listening to cell phone records or spying, but it needs to be treated as the important, sacred that it is.

Gary Hartle who did the recent MOTU series, Next Avengers, and is currently working on Tales of Asgard once talked to me about how much he loved Cap and how he was looking for reference on Cap, and then Hartle's father told Hartle about how he was *reading* Captain America in the trenches of WWII.

Don't you guys get it? Captain America is rooted in a time where so many were actually reading comics. Millions were actually reading comics in America, that never happens today. And our soldiers were reading Captain America while under fire during the war.

A movie can't take this **** lightly and just deny it because of Obama-fever and because everyone hates Bush. If this movie goes the route of GI JOE: Rise of Cobra, it won't just be a disaster, it will be a failure.

You are living in la la land Vile. Welcome to the 21st century. No way will the film have that All-American, flag waving, God Bless America theme. As much as I am all for it, it will also be about teamwork. Not just one guy. I don't have a problem with a special multinational allied force to be honest. WWII was a triumph for all of Europe and the world. It's not going to embrace that "America is the best every other country sucks" pompousness we have seen from films past. Don't be suprised if Roosevelt is played by an African American or Hispanic.

Last edited:
You are living in la la land Vile. Welcome to the 21st century. No way will the film have that All-American, flag waving, God Bless America theme. As much as I am all for it, it will also be about teamwork. Not just one guy. I doubt have a problem with a special multinational allied force to be honest. WWII was a triumph for all of Europe and the world. It's not going to embrace that "America is the best every other country sucks" pompousness we have seen from films past. Don't be suprised if Roosevelt is played by an African American or Hispanic.

If this was true I would do everything in my power to make sure this film does absolutely terrible. If they are willing to change history for political correctness Hollywood will have truly gone down the crapper.

I agree with most of what Vile says. This movie needs to be about the good, old-fashioned America, and her good, old-fashioned allies. We have no need to be ashamed of who we are as a country.

I'm going to go ahead and say that you don't know what you're talking about.The Americans have to be the villains.........Last time i checked,Cobra Commander was always american as was most of Cobra. Let's see,and going by the movie,the American Joes were......Duke,Ripcord,Cover-girl,Scarlett,Gen.Hawk,and most likely Snake-Eyes.......the 2,count them......2 multinational Joes were Heavy Duty,who nobody remembers and Breaker,who nobody cared about anyway,and he was quite cool in the movie.
The Joe movie was quite cool and VERY faithful to the Cartoon and old comic,if not 100% accurate to the source,it was 100% accurate to the spirit of the old cartoon.
I don't want the Cap movie to be like GIJoe,the tone is different for the two comics and what works really well for Joe won't work for Cap.
I don't think anyone is going to cover up any American references in the Cap movie,you're really reaching for something to be worried about. He wasn't the right-wing,xenophobic,America or nothing nut that you want him to be either. He was all about the spirit of what makes America great,not that our country is better or worse than any other. It's not Obama or Bush or party lines or flag pins,it's about getting his character right. You should read a Cap comic for once and you'd know what he's about.

I'm going to go ahead and say that you don't know what you're talking about.The Americans have to be the villains.........Last time i checked,Cobra Commander was always american as was most of Cobra.

What the hell are you talking about????

You must have missed the G.I. Joe team's tagline, "A real American hero."

What the hell are you talking about????

You must have missed the G.I. Joe team's tagline, "A real American hero."
What the hell are you talking about? The OP was whining that he thought some evil movie studio was making Americans the villains in the new movie.....as opposed to what other enemy Joe always fought? Cobra was always mostly American. Joes were American. It's the same in the movie,i don't know what the problem is. So the tag-line is gone,big deal,it's as close to the source as possible,it's like a live-action version of the cartoon.

I wouldn't worry too much about Captain America. This is Marvel Studios' flagship character. Yes, Iron Man is more popular publicly because of his movie right now, but Marvel wants Cap to replace that. He's the Superman of Marvel, the character everybody knows (not his story, but what he looks like). They're going to take extra careful steps to not screw this one up.

The movie has a hero called Captain America and Nazis as villains. I don't think it's humanly possible to make this movie lose its inherent patriotic qualities.

A movie can't take this **** lightly and just deny it because of Obama-fever and because everyone hates Bush.
Wait... I though that, thanks to Obama, it's once again cool for us decadent, Euro-trash treehuggers to admit liking America?

Wait... I though that, thanks to Obama, it's once again cool for us decadent, Euro-trash treehuggers to admit liking America?

I believe that was the deal.

Though the villain was Scottish (och Aye and all that. Yay). The film didn't have Cobra Commander until the end.

Mind you, I gotta admit that it didn't feel necessary to have them multinational, but it still worked and it was a good film.

Though from what I hear about Captain America, it's aiming to be more like Saving Private Ryan. That should be American enough for everyone.

This thread is full of so much fail it isn't even funny.

Which in itself is also ********.

What the hell are you talking about? The OP was whining that he thought some evil movie studio was making Americans the villains in the new movie.....as opposed to what other enemy Joe always fought? Cobra was always mostly American. Joes were American. It's the same in the movie,i don't know what the problem is. So the tag-line is gone,big deal,it's as close to the source as possible,it's like a live-action version of the cartoon.

Nope. They had to make the group full of multinationals to make it more politically correct. And Baroness is also American now. ********.

Like that goofy-looking homemade Superman costume in your pic?:oldrazz:

Least he's got an avvy.

:oldrazz: Kidding

Anyways, as much as I liked GI Joe, I do understand that Amercan cinema is losing it's touch on being patriotic. All this **** about America being behind every evil scheme and constantly spying on everyone, especially in movies get annoying real fast. Captain America is set to bring that back, though I'm extremely fearful the director's one of those guys that favor bringing in all audiences and demographics, so the whole "America" thing might be turned down a few notches.

Which in itself is also ********.

Nope. They had to make the group full of multinationals to make it more politically correct. And Baroness is also American now. ********.
2 of the featured Joes weren't American,Big deal. Larry Hama always intended Baroness to American. Try again.

2 of the featured Joes weren't American,Big deal. Larry Hama always intended Baroness to American. Try again.

Baroness has never been American, and if he intended that, why didn't do it in the 150 issues plus the numerous other stories he's written?

Cover Girl, Breaker, Scarlett, and Heavy Duty were all multinationals. Snake Eyes was probably French or something.

I'm glad you agree this thread is full of fail.

Why? Because there are people that actually don't want a movie to apologize for being about Captain America?

Why? Because there are people that actually don't want a movie to apologize for being about Captain America?

Oh, is that what I'm supposed to decipher out of the inane arguing? Lol..

Baroness has never been American, and if he intended that, why didn't do it in the 150 issues plus the numerous other stories he's written?

Cover Girl, Breaker, Scarlett, and Heavy Duty were all multinationals. Snake Eyes was probably French or something.

What makes you think that? The one line Snake Eyes has, as a kid, is him screaming "NO!" after his master got killed, and it sounded pretty American. Plus, whether he said that or not, you're just over-reaching with that. And Scarlett was American. Where you got the idea she wasn't is beyond me.

I think setting the film in WWII makes it less likely that they'll shy away from the U.S. being portrayed as a great nation. The U.S. did not enter the war until after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Although there have been some wars since envolving the U.S. that I feel could have/should have been avoided, (some being particularly unpopular in the eyes of much of the rest of world) - WWII was a war that had to be fought. As an American it is a part of our history that I'm particularly proud of. I definately hope that I feel that when I'm watching this film.

At the same time, the studio will almost certainly tread these waters with some diplomacy. I'd say it's pretty much a given that they'll make an effort to highlight the contributions of the other Allies, as an attempt to make it more accessible. While I agree this film must not shy away from being patriotic, they're going to be mindful of over-doing it to the point that it stiffles the films foriegn box-office potential.

Last edited:
Why?

Did you see Bayformers? Michael Bay even bashes Obama in that turd.

Why?

Did you see Bayformers? Michael Bay even bashes Obama in that turd.

Were you asking me that? Bashing a current U.S. president in an American film doesn't hurt the foreign box office at all. Most of the time it will sit just fine with roughly half of the American audience as well.

My point was that although some is definately needed, too much American patriotism in the film could easily translate into poor box office numbers over seas. At the same time this is a story about an American hero, fighting in a specific period of time where things were more black and white, and America was fighting an aggressive enemy with the fate of the free world hanging in the balance. For that reason I don't think you should be too worried that the film will be filled with anti-american sentiment. Once Cap wakes up in the 21st century and recieves a history lesson regarding all that's happened since then in Avengers - it might be a different story.

BTW I did see TF:ROTF, but I don't even remember Bay bashing Obama. I guess I either repressed most of that theater experience, or it just wasn't a very memorable film.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"