The Walking Dead Cast The Walking Dead if it were a Movie

Hyde

Ooga-Chaka
Reaction score
The Walking Dead is a pretty hot property, being the biggest cable drama on TV and with a legion of fans. A movie adaptation was (I think) discussed before Frank Darabont took it to TV, and there's also been talk about some movie down the line to conclude the show, or whatever. However if the TV show hadn't have happened and a movie series had instead, what would you have wanted to see cast-wise? Include plot details if you wish. My cast would go as follows (keeping some of the show's stars):

Rick - Matthew McConaughey
Lori - Sandra Bullock
Carl - Joel Courtney
Shane - Tom Hardy
Andrea - Charlize Theron
Daryl - Guy Pearce/Jeremy Renner
Merle - Michael Rooker
Michonne - Naomie Harris
Tyreese - Idris Elba
Glenn - Steven Yeun/Joseph Gordon-Levitt (it's Hollywood so I wouldn't be surprised)
Maggie - Emma Stone
Beth - Shailene Woodley/Mia Wasiowski
The Governor - Liam Neeson/Christian Bale
Hershel - Michael Caine

As for the director? Alfonso Cuaron. I think he would nail the survival and desolate aspect of the mythos, which was presented in Children of Men. So a pretty massive cast but not all of them would be introduced in the first movie. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Rick - Matthew McConaughey
Lori - Sandra Bullock
Carl - Joel Courtney
Shane - Tom Hardy
Andrea - Charlize Theron
Daryl - Guy Pearce/Jeremy Renner
Merle - Michael Rooker
Michonne - Naomie Harris
Tyreese - Idris Elba
Glenn - Steven Yeun/Joseph Gordon-Levitt (it's Hollywood so I wouldn't be surprised)
Maggie - Emma Stone
Beth - Shailene Woodley/Mia Wasiowski
The Governor - Liam Neeson/Christian Bale
Hershel - Michael Caine

I like a lot of these.

I like Christian Bale for Rick though.

I can dig Sandra Bullock for Lori. She's annoying enough.

I like Tom Hardy as Shane and Charlize Theron as Andrea.

Not sure who I'd pick for Daryl. Guy Pearce seems wrong for it to me, and I don't care for Jeremy Renner. Maybe Jason Clarke or call me crazy but maybe Karl Urban.

Call me crazy but I could see Woody Harrelson as Merle.

I'm okay with Naomie Harris as Michonne. She's almost Michonne in 28 Days Later.

Idris Elba would be good as Tyreese.

John Cho for Glenn.

Don't really dig Emma Stone for Maggie. Maybe Rooney Mara. I dunno.

Saoirse Ronan or Mia Wasikowska for Beth.

It's easy to say Liam Neeson for The Governor, since David Morrissey is basically Discount Liam Neeson, but I could see maybe Ralph Fiennes. Or, and I know this might seem an odd choice, but Aaron Eckhart. TDK showed Eckhart could do the charming politician and the crazy guy.

Morgan Freeman would be an awesome Hershel if we were being color-blind, but that'd mean we'd have to cast completely different actresses for Maggie and Beth. Michael Caine is fine. Or Christopher Plummer.

David Hyde Pierce would be perfect for Milton.

First things first, this never would've worked as a movie. I think one of the great aspects of the source material that sets it apart from much of the zombie genre is that it's a continuing story. It's not a 2 hours and you're done movie. You get to see the characters grow and change as a result of this world. But anyway, I'll play...

Rick - Joaquin Phoenix
Lori - Maggie Gyllenhaal
Shane - Tom Hardy
Dale - Alan Arkin
Michonne - Viola Davis
Merle - Gary Busey (think about it)
The Governor - Mel Gibson (those phone recordings? Perfect comic Governor. And flip the coin, he has that very personable energy that the Gov should have early on)

I'll think of more later.

Rick - Adam Sandler
Shane - Kevin James
Daryl - David Spade
Dale - Blake Clark
Glenn - Andy Samberg
Hershel - Jon Lovitz
Tyrese - Chris Rock
Zombie - Nick Swardson

I'd keep the same cast. These actors ARE the characters. Anyone else is a joke.

That being said, Eddie Dean's cast looks like it'd be an awesome movie, haha.

If there were a Walking Dead movie, then the cast from the show should be in it. It would be rather dumb to recast for the movie, not that a Walking Dead movie would ever happen, as what set this apart is that it is a continuing story. The only way I could see a Walking Dead movie working is when Robert Kirkman is finally ready to end the series.

The OP was talking about hypothetically if there'd never been a show.

Rick - Adam Sandler
Shane - Kevin James
Daryl - David Spade
Dale - Blake Clark
Glenn - Andy Samberg
Hershel - Jon Lovitz
Tyrese - Chris Rock
Zombie - Nick Swardson

*reports post*

:o

First things first, this never would've worked as a movie. I think one of the great aspects of the source material that sets it apart from much of the zombie genre is that it's a continuing story. It's not a 2 hours and you're done movie. You get to see the characters grow and change as a result of this world. But anyway, I'll play...

Rick - Joaquin Phoenix
Lori - Maggie Gyllenhaal
Shane - Tom Hardy
Dale - Alan Arkin
Michonne - Viola Davis
Merle - Gary Busey (think about it)
The Governor - Mel Gibson (those phone recordings? Perfect comic Governor. And flip the coin, he has that very personable energy that the Gov should have early on)

I'll think of more later.

Of course it could work as a movie. Why do you think we have comic book movies? The story certainly wouldn't work as just one, but if you had a self-contained trilogy focusing from Rick awaking from his coma to however Kirkman decides to end the comic ala TDKT then it would work.

Loving the Gibson suggestion.

The OP was talking about hypothetically if there'd never been a show.

:up:

A 5-6 movie series would work just like the TV series and video games have adapted from the source material. The movies can be there own thing, separate from the comics and show, adapting both and doing their own thing. A two and a half hour movie would be three episodes long. They could easily take three-four episodes or 6 issues to base a movie off of.

The Walking Dead
The Walking Dead: Safety Behind Bars
The Walking Dead: Made To Suffer
The Walking Dead: Life Among Them
The Walking Dead: Something To Fear
The Walking Dead: All Out War

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member