CBM Moments where you just can't suspend disbelief

Okay, another one came up. An oldie but a goodie, from Spider Man 2.

Now the cybernetic connection with the prosthetic arms isn't too much of a stretch (well not in a film about a guy who is super strong and can spin his own webbing)

But the resolution of the final crisis, they chuck a fusion reactor, which is essentially a small sun, into the river to put it out, that just goes too far ( I distinctly remember thinking WTF ? while sitting in the cinema)
It's not as terrible as the "flies around the world to turn back time" of Superman the Movie, but it's still pretty awful.

Actually, the whole fusion reactor thing in general was pretty terrible.
Let's pretend we know nothing about science, at all, but were awake during the movie.
A self-sustaining fusion reactor......so it's as hot, as the sun !!!! And they start it up in the middle of downtown Manhattan, and are standing in the same room.
Even a miniature sun, if you were that close to it would be throwing out so much heat (yes, I know in the film it's contained by magnetic fields), but also light and radiation, it would still probably cook or blind anyone near it.

But let's ignore all that. You've got this miniature sun, and to put it out, you chuck it in the river......what happens next, it just sinks and disappears right ?
Well, what would really happen, ? Super-heated steam cloud devastates New York at the very least, or if insufficient to extinguish the mini-sun, it melts most of Manhattan.
Come on, there had to be a better way of resolving the problem.

Of course, not having the fusion reactor in the first place would have been even better.

XMO: wolverine is too easy, almost everything in that movie broke my disbelief.

I'm so glad iron man 3 was brought up, tony and Rhodes suits are just as powerful as they need to be. when IP is chained up by killian you telling me that a giant robot is not stronger than some chains? This movie kills all of the character power continuity too, killian tears through Tony's suits like they are nothing but tony can take Thor's best shots with little to no damage? I guess the heat attack from killian makes sense but I don't like it. What I mean by power continuity is, tony and thor fight to a draw both taking each others best shots, killian makes short work of tony suits, kurse kicks Thor's ass, so killian would easily take out kurse? It makes no sense. I liked iron man 3 too!

I loved Batman 89 I have seen it too many times to count but Batman lets to two muggers in the beginning get away with the crime then he shows up? He doesn't even get the stuff that was stolen back! Wtf is that?

To be fair, Thor crushed Tony's armour like a tin can when he grabbed his arm. He was clearly holding back.

But yea, the continuity between the power levels in Marvels films are a bit iffy. It's true of the comics too though. I remember one time Black Panther put the Silver frickin Surfer in an arm bar.

I loved Batman 89 I have seen it too many times to count but Batman lets to two muggers in the beginning get away with the crime then he shows up? He doesn't even get the stuff that was stolen back! Wtf is that?

When the assault took place, Batman was not there and unaware of what was happening. It was the woman's screaming that gave Batman the warning.

And after he left, the police took care of the situation.

But yea, the continuity between the power levels in Marvels films are a bit iffy. It's true of the comics too though. I remember one time Black Panther put the Silver frickin Surfer in an arm bar.

Dude ! I remember that, it was like " Despite your great strength, from this position you don't have enough leverage to free yourself" or something like that.

Man, that was terrible. The Silver Surfer has traded punches with the Hulk and Thor, putting him in an arm bar would be like trying to stop a truck from driving away by hanging on to the bumper.

When the assault took place, Batman was not there and unaware of what was happening. It was the woman's screaming that gave Batman the warning.

And after he left, the police took care of the situation.

Maybe the really hard bits to believe there are

1. That the police in a crime-ridden major city have the time/resources or even care enough to investigate two homeless muggers getting beaten up
on a rooftop.

2. That the police responded to the mugging within such a short time (this was before cell-phones or the internet), given that no one was killed or seriously injured. Who called them in the first place ?
Given that someone is murdered in NYC every 18 hours, and the cops probably aren't on top of all of those. The fact that Gotham PD gets involved at all is amazing.

lucky Gotham city has Batman ! Although I still think that if he really wanted to reduce street crime he could sink a billion or so into creating more jobs, drug rehabilitation programs, and funding other social assistance mechanisms to reduce poverty................but kicking the **** out of criminals is still pretty cool.

Sorry that's me going crazy with extreme nit-picking.

Dude ! I remember that, it was like " Despite your great strength, from this position you don't have enough leverage to free yourself" or something like that.

Man, that was terrible. The Silver Surfer has traded punches with the Hulk and Thor, putting him in an arm bar would be like trying to stop a truck from driving away by hanging on to the bumper.

Silver Surfer can blow up planets lol. He's way above even Hulk and Thor. Or he could have just gone intangible.

I
Iron Man 3

The Extremis gives people a grab-bag of firery superpowers, we go along with it, but A.I.M must have a helluva tailoring department since they can make 100% fireproof clothing.

Hell forget Extremis, they'd make a ton of money selling that. :funny:

I think this video can give you some extra gems that could be added to your list.

[YT]YNcJPxjoxF0[/YT]

My most favorite was how Tony's armor can take hits from tanks and Thor's lightning but gets smashed up too easily by weaker forces like trucks because Marvel Studios which influenced the story demanded more "Slapstick humor". As well as how does Pepper get a powered up Iron Man hand and defeat the bad guy when Tony was perfectly capable of doing that.

The armour that got smashed up by the truck on the bridge was a weaker prototype armour to be fair.

I never had the same issue with the whole "Bruce gets back to Gotham despite being broke" thing from Rises that many seem to. In Begins, he was able to successfully travel around the world despite having no money for YEARS, and that was BEFORE he got the ninja training. It wasn't that hard to buy. One of my biggest one's has always been the "magic kiss" from Superman II. Decades later, it's still stupid and nonsensical. How Parallax was defeated in GL was another one. Parallax is the physical manifestation of all fear in the universe, it feeds off of fear. Destroying it by burning it up in the sun is a big no no to me, plus it was way too easy.

I can't believe people have issues with that scene in TDKR. Like you said, if you can remember Batman Begins, you know not only is Bruce capable of getting back into Gotham, it probably wasn't even all that difficult for him!

Oh and this might not necessarily be a "suspension of disbelief" moment, but it is a "oh come on" one. In X-Men: Origins Wolverine, Cyclops optic blasts burn things and set things on fire. Barakapool using the optic blasts superheats Wolverine's claws to the point that he can cut through adamantium. Here's the thing, CYCLOPS DOESN'T HAVE HEAT VISION!!!! His optic blasts are concussive, it's like getting hit with a blunt object, but much much harder. Seriously, X1, X2, and even X3 got this right, so how did Origins manage to screw it up?

I never had the same issue with the whole "Bruce gets back to Gotham despite being broke" thing from Rises that many seem to. In Begins, he was able to successfully travel around the world despite having no money for YEARS, and that was BEFORE he got the ninja training. It wasn't that hard to buy.

Agreed especially when they said in begins that there was an underground rail road his ancestors ran which included the bat caves under Wayne manor.

It wouldn't be out of reason to think he could slip back into the city though some secret route.

Maybe the really hard bits to believe there are

1. That the police in a crime-ridden major city have the time/resources or even care enough to investigate two homeless muggers getting beaten up
on a rooftop.

Yes.... I don't get your point.

2. That the police responded to the mugging within such a short time (this was before cell-phones or the internet), given that no one was killed or seriously injured. Who called them in the first place ?
Given that someone is murdered in NYC every 18 hours, and the cops probably aren't on top of all of those. The fact that Gotham PD gets involved at all is amazing.

Who said anything about short time?

lucky Gotham city has Batman ! Although I still think that if he really wanted to reduce street crime he could sink a billion or so into creating more jobs, drug rehabilitation programs, and funding other social assistance mechanisms to reduce poverty................but kicking the **** out of criminals is still pretty cool.

Sorry that's me going crazy with extreme nit-picking.

Sure it's extreme. You're basically questioning the whole character, not just this take/movie.

I never had the same issue with the whole "Bruce gets back to Gotham despite being broke" thing from Rises that many seem to. In Begins, he was able to successfully travel around the world despite having no money for YEARS, and that was BEFORE he got the ninja training. It wasn't that hard to buy.

Yes, if he could do it in Being, why not in TDKR. I didn't have a aproblem with that either. The problem seems not to be the trip but getting IN the city. Gotham was blocked; no one could get in or out, the bridges were either blown or blocked by the army, I think.

But for a man who was trying to save Gotham against the clock, he certainly took his time to draw a giant bat with gasoline.

One of my biggest one's has always been the "magic kiss" from Superman II. Decades later, it's still stupid and nonsensical.

Yes. That very day, Lois was going to hear about the chaos the whole world - and Metropolis, specifically - were under... and she doesn't remember one bit of it.

Sure it's extreme. You're basically questioning the whole character, not just this take/movie.

Chill Dude, I'm not really being serious, well not very. If I really believed that stuff was a serious reason to not enjoy Batman, I wouldn't be posting on forums like this.

So that post was me mostly being sarcastic. I loved Batman 1989, I think I was just airing views on the unrealistic rates of police response times, portrayed in movies in general.
That's one of the great bits in "last action hero" where the bad guy, visiting the real world, shoots someone and waits for the cops to show up....and they don't.

As for questioning Batman, as a legitimate response to crime (as opposed to job creation and investment in social services and infrastructure).....well again I love Batman, I'm a huge fan. But seriously if Gotham city had better domestic handgun control laws, social services, reduced overall poverty and had much lower rates of unemployment probably it would be at least as effective as reducing violent crime as a lone vigilante, no matter how fearsome, obsessive or well equipped.

However, if there's an underlying message of the Dark Knight (Nolan) films, it was that Batman's approach was only a short-term fix that worked in extreme situations, but otherwise wasn't really all that effective. In fact, viewed a certain way, the Dark Knight trilogy is kind of an anti-superhero movie franchise.

It was like they needed Batman to get them out of the
deep hole the city was in, re corruption and organized crime, in Batman Begins, but the solution they came up with, at the end of Dark Knight, and in place at the beginning of Dark Knight rises, only worked on the surface, while the city still rotted from underneath (it kept the rich and powerful happy, but the poor people still were pissed enough to join Bane's army).
Well that's what I think Nolan was trying to say, IMO, and of course when another extreme crisis came along (Bane's occupation) they needed
Bats to bail them out, but only for a short term fix.

But again, this is the great joy of comic books and super-heroes, we love them, well I do, because they're an escape from reality. Here, if I really want to make a difference to law enforcement or crime prevention, my best bet is to make a submission to a select committee, at Parliament.

Whereas, in the comic book world, if you get sick of all the scum running free in your city, suit up in your black Kevlar, stow your batarangs and KICK ASS !

To get back to the purpose of the thread I suppose the biggest
suspension of disbelief moment in The Dark Knight, is the fall from the skyscraper. I know that part of Batman's cape slowed the fall, but even so, I seriously doubt it would be enough to prevent them being at least
seriously injured on impact.

As for the Dark Knight Rises, there's lots to argue about, and I know I've done plenty of it. That's ground well covered by other people.

But, maybe one I could pick on, is that a director who's generally as good as Christopher Nolan could write and direct a death scene as lame as Talia's. When Marion Cotillard dies in Inception, it's about 10x better.
How did he film Talia's death, then watch the dailies and go "Yup, that's good. That's a wrap." it's just weird.

But also, and this is nit-picking, why do they actually stand there and watch her die, when the bomb's still ticking away ?

Great Dredd ones :up:

Or how about Batman sticking with the new armour which is weaker to knives and guns when facing a new enemy who favours... Knives and guns.

When he dscovered Jokers penchant for knives he should've gone back to the OG suit as that defends better than his new segmented plates armour

This is what I hate about the DK trilogy. They fall apart from way too many plot holes and stupidity it's just plain ridiculous. Plus Bale looks nothing like a seasoned Bat's should look in TDK and he is way to skinny in TDKR.

Moreso a movie cliche, but mainly one where the main character (can either be a Male or Female) is actually really attractive and has a particularly good body image, but once you throw overly-baggy clothes and glasses on them, they're completely "unattractive." One of the biggest ones that still irks me is Kick-Ass and TASM. I'm sorry, as good of actors they are, but Aaron Johnson & Andrew Garfield are good lookin' dudes, and I just can't believe nobody bats an eyelash at them.

This is what I hate about the DK trilogy. They fall apart from way too many plot holes and stupidity it's just plain ridiculous. Plus Bale looks nothing like a seasoned Bat's should look in TDK and he is way to skinny in TDKR.

But he wasn't seasoned in TDK...he was around for like, 6 months to a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"