Cell

Happy_gif.gif

I didn't realize they were making a movie of this book. I think this movie would be great, but they need to not pull punches on it, go all the way, especially don't change the ending.

This is a movie I'm interested in although I think the story behind it is just as much. Stephen King basically doesn't trust cell phones and sees them as a menace. Or so the story goes.

Stephen King's Cell Adds Isabelle Fuhrman

Isabelle Fuhrman has taken the female lead in Tod "Kip" Williams' upcoming Stephen King adaptation Cell. Deadline reports that the Orphan and The Hunger Games star will star opposite the previously-attached John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson.

Published in 2006, King's novel is officially described as follows:

Artist Clayton Riddell had been in Boston negotiating a successful deal to sell his comic book project. His joy at finally hitting it big is shattered by an event called The Pulse which causes all those who were using their cell phones at the time of The Pulse to become zombies attacking and killing anyone in their way. Fortunately for Clay, he does not own a cell phone. In the panic to get out of Boston and find his way home to his wife and son in Maine, he is joined by Tom McCourt, a man he meets in the mele� immediately following The Pulse and a young girl, Alice, who they rescue from being killed by one of the �crazies.� The story follows their terrifying journey, avoiding capture�and worse�by the �crazies� who are beginning to �flock� and are led by one they call Raggedy Man as they attempt to reach Maine and a place called Kashwak which they hope will be their salvation.

Former Dimension Films president of production and 1408 executive Richard Saperstein is producing Cell through his Genre Company alongside colleagues Brian Witten and Shara Kay.

King co-wrote the screenplay with The Last House on the Left screenwriter Adam Alleca.

Stacy Keach cast in Cell

Posted: February 7, 2014, 09:25:42
Section: Film » Cell

Stacy Keach joins the cast of Cell.

Isabelle Fuhrman (“The Hunger Games”) and Stacy Keach have come on board the movie version of Stephen King’s “Cell,” opposite John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson.

International Film Trust, the sales agency arm of Benaroya Pictures, is selling the apocalyptic thriller to buyers at the Berlin Film Market.

Tod “Kip” Williams is directing. Benaroya Pictures is financing the film, which recently began shooting in Atlanta.

Fuhrman plays a teenage neighbor of Cusack’s Clay Riddell character who joins him and Jackson’s Tom McCourt character on their journey to safety after a mysterious pulse spreads like a virus through the human population.

Keach (“Nebraska”) will play the headmaster of a prep school where the survivors stop along their way.

Producers are Richard Saperstein, Michael Benaroya, Brian Witten and Shara Kay. While president of Dimension Films, Saperstein oversaw the Stephen King adaptations “The Mist” and “1408,” which also starred Cusack and Jackson, and grossed over $130 million worldwide.

The screenplay for “Cell” was written by Stephen King, with revisions by Adam Alleca.

First photos from Cell

Posted: February 8, 2014, 00:56:59

Cell is now filming and here are the first photos.

Samuel L. Jackson and John Cusack are in Atlanta filming "Cell," a thriller based on a Stephen King novel. Cell phones transmit a mysterious virus that brings on the apocalypse. Neat!

The movie has been filming in downtown Atlanta this week, just a few blocks from where "Mockingjay" has been filming. It has since moved to a spot in east Cobb,

The movie, which also has filmed underneath a bridge at 85 and Mayson Drive and a Sandy Springs restaurant, needs some fleet-footed extras. Long-distance, marathon and trail runners are needed for scenes to be shot today and next Wednesday and Friday.

cell1.png

cell2.png

cell3.jpg

YES!!!!!

I honestly didn't think this movie was really happening. They've been talking about it since 2007. I can't believe there's a cast AND set photos. :wow::wow::wow:

I'm always worried when Stephen King IS directly involved with his film adaptations. He's a great writer but when he's dealing with Hollywood, he kinda sucks. Not just Maximum Overdrive, but his involvement with the nasty Shining mini-series. I don't care what he thinks of Kubrick's version of the book, that mini-series is just awful.

First Photo of Cusack, Jackson from Stephen King’s Cell
Ryan Turek February 25th 2014, 3:06 pm
The first photo from Stephen King's Cell has hit the web featuring stars John Cusack, Samuel L. Jackson and Isabelle Furhman. Shooting is underway in Georgia under the direction of Todd "Kip" Williams.
Published in 2006, King's novel is officially described as follows: Artist Clayton Riddell had been in Boston negotiating a successful deal to sell his comic book project. His joy at finally hitting it big is shattered by an event called The Pulse which causes all those who were using their cell phones at the time of The Pulse to become zombies attacking and killing anyone in their way. Fortunately for Clay, he does not own a cell phone. In the panic to get out of Boston and find his way home to his wife and son in Maine, he is joined by Tom McCourt, a man he meets in the meleé immediately following The Pulse and a young girl, Alice, who they rescue from being killed by one of the “crazies.”
The story follows their terrifying journey, avoiding capture - and worse - by the “crazies” who are beginning to “flock” and are led by one they call Raggedy Man as they attempt to reach Maine and a place called Kashwak which they hope will be their salvation.
Former Dimension Films president of production and 1408 executive Richard Saperstein is producing Cell through his Genre Company alongside colleagues Brian Witten and Shara Kay.King co-wrote the screenplay with The Last House on the Left screenwriter Adam Alleca.
[Source: BlairWitch.de]
16858.jpg

I'm always worried when Stephen King IS directly involved with his film adaptations. He's a great writer but when he's dealing with Hollywood, he kinda sucks. Not just Maximum Overdrive, but his involvement with the nasty Shining mini-series. I don't care what he thinks of Kubrick's version of the book, that mini-series is just awful.

The mini series is pretty bad, but I find a lot of his comments about the Kubrick film to be valid still.

Reading the book and being allowed and invited to actually give a damn about the characters really ruined the film for me. Watching it now just feels kind of empty.

I'd say it's those situations where you have to separate the book from the film. Like Blade Runner, or James Bond.

That being said, his direct involvement with The Shining mini-series doesn't help his argument. Nothing against the man, of course.

Kubricks characters are just paper thin in comparison. Its a fair criticism. There's not much more empathy shown for the family in the Shining than for the many teenagers in slasher films. As I've gotten older, I simply find much of the film to have almost no weight and a lot of it feels quite silly. In the book, since it builds to it, even Jack just picking up a bear that first time elicits dread.

I do far prefer the hedge maze to the topiaries though, and the bit with with the "All Work and No Play" is brilliant.

What it comes down to is that King isn't necessarily a great screenwriter (and less face it, TV as medium in the 90s did not allow for the kind of things it does now) but the man does know how to write characters and truly chilling situations.

Even taking the film entirely on its own basis, the performances Kubrick chose to include in the film are pretty well ridiculous. Nicholson is just Nicholson from frame one and Shelly DuVall is presented as a blubbering child.

Last edited:
King on Cell

Posted: June 19, 2014, 11:03:42

“The movie is not totally close to the original screenplay that I wrote but I’ll tell you what, the end of it is so goddamn dark and scary. It’s really kind of a benchmark there.”

King Pleased With Cell

Posted: June 23, 2014, 00:38:42
King has seen a rough cut of the movie version of Cell and was pleased with how it's turned out.

Clarius Entertainment has acquired U.S. rights to Benaroya Pictures and The Genre Company’s thriller Cell;, starring John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson. The film, an adaptation of Stephen King’s bestseller, is directed by Tod “Kip” Williams (Paranormal Activity 2).

International Film Trust (IFT) is handling foreign rights to the film. When a powerful signal is broadcast across mobile networks worldwide, cell phone users’ minds are instantly and dangerously re-programmed. Heading north through New England in search of his wife and son, Clay Riddell (Cusack) is joined by a group of survivors hoping to fend off the bloodthirsty and hyper-connected “phoners.”
Also on-board are Isabelle Fuhrman (The Hunger Games) and Stacey Keach (Nebraska).
Cell is produced by Michael Benaroya (Lawless), Richard Saperstein (Se7en), Brian Witten (Friday The 13th) and Shara Kay (Silent Night).

King Pleased With Cell

Posted: June 23, 2014, 00:38:42
King has seen a rough cut of the movie version of Cell and was pleased with how it's turned out.

I'm sure he was pleased his TV version of The Stand and Maximum Overdrive. I love King but he has a bad history with Hollywood, even when he's involved.

For 1994, I don't think The Stand miniseries could've been any better. It had a TV budget, was a six-hour series, was adapted by King himself, had an all-star cast, and dare I say it, it adapts as much of the novel as it can within six hours, more than ANY Hollywood film adaptation could ever hope to achieve. Mick Garris directed the **** out of that thing. :word:

I'm sure he was pleased his TV version of The Stand and Maximum Overdrive. I love King but he has a bad history with Hollywood, even when he's involved.

I'm not sure about The Stand, but Maximum Overdrive he always considered horrid. I think he was still in his 'On so many drugs he doesn't remember anything' phase of his career.

Cell Without Distributor

Posted: November 1, 2015, 03:38:43
Clarius Entertainment confirmed in an email earlier today that they are no longer releasing the movie version of Cell and don't know of any new distributor...

BS. It'll get a distributor. They're just being dramatic.
On DVD alone, if they can make $1 million without putting it in theaters, a company will do it.

I don't think I've ever heard of a movie that was fully completed and just never saw the light of day. Even The Interview got released.

Cell Out in February in the UK?

Posted: November 30, 2015, 09:10:52

Looks like Signature Entertainment has acquired the distribution rights to Cell in the UK. According to info from the British Board of Film Classification it will be 97 min and 40 sec long, released uncut and out (in the UK) on February 26 2016.

cellinfo.jpg

Here are some comments from BBFC about the movie. THIS CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THE MOVIE!

Note: The following text may contain spoilers

CELL is a science fiction horror film, based on a Stephen King novel, about a mysterious outbreak of violent madness that affects anyone with a mobile phone.

VIOLENCE
The film contains strong bloody violence. In one early sequence a large group of people are infected simultaneously and there is sight of them attacking and killing numerous people, with victims being stabbed and shot. During the sequence, there is also sight of a woman being repeatedly punched in the face by an infected man, with blood streaming from her mouth. In another scene, a large horde of infected people are set on fire and shown screaming and running to escape the blaze. The film also contains several scenes in which infected people are shot.

INJURY DETAIL
There are some gory images when the infected people are killed. For example, there is sight of blood oozing from a head wound after an attack, and a scene in which an infected woman repeatedly bashes her head against a wall in a frenzy before turning round and drooling blood and a tooth out of her mouth. Throughout the film there is also sight of bloody scars and injuries on the bodies and faces of the infected.

LANGUAGE
The film contains strong language ('f**k'), some of which is used aggressively.

In one sequence, a man sees a woman kneeling in front of a man in a toilet cubicle, implying sexual activity. No clear detail is shown, however, and the implied activity is revealed to have been just a dream. There are also passing references to drug use.

I'm not sure about The Stand, but Maximum Overdrive he always considered horrid. I think he was still in his 'On so many drugs he doesn't remember anything' phase of his career.

King directed Maximum Overdrive.

hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"