Iron Man 2 Cheadle talks Iron Man 2

Chewy

REDACTED
Reaction score
December 16, 2008 - There was at least one good thing to come out of the high profile dismissal of actor Terrence Howard from the sequel to last year's blockbuster hit Iron Man -- the news that Don Cheadle would be taking over the part of Col. James 'Rhodey' Rhodes. The Oscar winning actor's resume boast an impressive variety of roles, from serious dramas like Crash, Hotel Rwanda and Traffic to more lighthearted fare like Ocean's Eleven and its two sequels. And while we were disappointed to hear that Howard would not return for Iron Man 2, we think Cheadle could do a lot with the role of Tony Stark's confidant and the man destined to wear the War Machine armor.

Cheadle recently spoke with IGN about taking over the role, how he felt about replacing his friend and what we might expect from the character in the next film.

IGN: How did you get involved with Iron Man 2?

Cheadle: I got a phone call from my agent saying they were offering me the part. That was kind of it. It happened very fast, and I had a very short time to answer. Literally, overnight. I was unaware of what was happening with Terrence. And when they called me I asked what was going on with Terrence. I've worked with Terrence, I've known Terrence for a long time. And they said they were moving away from him. So it's not like I was taking Terrence's job, because the job was already gone. Someone else was going to do the part. I don't know who the next person in line was, but that's who they were going to. And I literally had a few hours to accept the job or not.

IGN: How much can you reveal about the story?

Cheadle: I can't reveal anything because I've seen nothing. I have no idea. There's no script yet. All I know is as much as you know, that Rhodey looked at that suit and said, 'Next time.' So I imagine I'm going to be in a suit.

IGN: Did they explain whether they're expanding the role in the next film?

Cheadle: Not in any sort of detail. I mean, I think the part will be bigger, obviously. I mean, in the comic book, if you just read the comic books, you know that character becomes pretty instrumental in Iron Man's life, so it's not a sidebar character. It's kind of integral to the story.

IGN: Are you excited?

Cheadle: My kids are excited. I mean, it's great. It's a great opportunity. I'm glad to be a part of something like that. I tend to try and keep my excitement and all of that stuff at a level which has helped me survive 25 years in the business. I've been in movies and haven't made the cut and I've been on the set of movies and somebody's come up and gone, "Ah, we're not making the movie anymore." So I wait until it's done and it's shot and then it comes out and people see it and I can go, "Yeah, I'm in that movie."
SOURCE

It's a shame about Howard, but what's done is done. I'm anxious to see what Cheadle will do with the role.

IMHO, Howard wasn't the perfect choice for Rhodey, but neither is Cheadle. Good actors both, but they just don't exude the toughness James Rhodes should have. We'll just have to wait and see how it all shakes out.

at first i was'nt feeling terence howard as rhodney.now i want the dude back.nothing against don cheadle.who knows? things could change back. once again the guy from "everybody hates chris" couldve been perfect.terry crews is his name.

I wonder what other actors they were considering...The way Cheadle puts it, if he didn't accept they already had a few other options ready to go.

I wonder what other actors they were considering...The way Cheadle puts it, if he didn't accept they already had a few other options ready to go.

Agreed. That part definitely piqued my curiosity.

michael jai white is the perfect rhodey. i love cheadle and i thought terrance howard is too schrill, effete', and light skinned for rhodey so my casting goes to mj white.

michaeljaiwhite2.jpg

michael_jai_white_3.jpg

michael_jai_white.jpg

I would've cast Morris Chestnut as Rhodey.

MorrisChestnut.jpg

Last edited:
michael jai white is the perfect rhodey. i love cheadle and i thought terrance howard is too schrill, effete', and light skinned for rhodey so my casting goes to mj white.

michaeljaiwhite2.jpg

michael_jai_white_3.jpg

michael_jai_white.jpg
Totally agree on this one. Plus he's so much hotter!:woot:

Kmack, I used to have the exact same location a couple of months ago. And agreed about MJW. He should be Rhodes!

MJW cannot act?! I loved him in Spawn, mainly because I was like 8 when it came out. But damn, he's just ******. I personally thought Terrence's performance was one of the best things about the film, in a very subtle way. I wish he would be coming back. Don Cheadle is hardly a slouch as a backup though.

^Maybe that's because Spawn was just suckage from the start. He didn't do so bad in TDK.

^Maybe that's because Spawn was just suckage from the start. He didn't do so bad in TDK.

I think MJW acting is just fine in the things I've seen him in and certainly enough to play Rhodey. Also with the guidance of Favreau and RDJr to bounce off how could he fail??

One question though, I forgot about MJW role in DK....are Marvel actors allowed to act in DC/WB films that run in the same year or is their some contract clause that prohibits it?

So why eexactly did Terrance Howard get the boot????

I mean at least they replaced him with a good actor but still that was so random when i heard the news

Because he was a self-centered idjut. Go back and watch the interviews he did before IM1. You'll find one where he actually says the fans want WarMachine more than IM! He saw dollar signs in getting his own franchise and got full of himself.

MJW would have fit Rhodes look better, but I'll take Cheadle because he's a fine actor.

MJW isn't a good actor so I say, thank the lord they didn't get somebody like him.

Happy New Year ^^

Cheadle is a good actor, but he is no Rhodey, sorry! He doesn't even look like he is in good shape to play Rhodey. Too bad they lost Howard. Oh well..

I recently saw, Traitor, and it actually looked like he got in pretty good shape for it, he also had some decent action, and fight scenes, which he pulled off just fine(imo)

Michael Jai White is a good actor, and he would have been an excellent choice for the role of Rhodes, but casting him for the role in Iron Man 2 would mean a step down in "star power" since he would be replacing a currently very popular actor.
Casting Cheadle, on the other hand, is not a step down but rather an equal to step up, considering that he's a very well known and respected talent.

I would much rather see MJ White in the role than Cheadle, but I understand their reasoning for this. Plus, who the hell really knows why Howard was let go.
They really give you the impression he was difficult to work with and they just didn't like him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"