Iron Man 3 Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

do i miss him? not one bit. and theres only been one iron man movie so far that he wasnt in. i could asnwer this better after im3.
do i think howards portrayal was racist or overly stereotypical? not at all. didnt pick up on any of that whatsoever. this is the first ive heard of that complaint honestly

You guys are ridiculous lol. Sam, I don't necessarily 100% agree with what you are saying, but you're the freakin best lol ..

I am just going to put this stupid thing to rest. First of all, this is my opinion on the cheadle/howard thing ...right here

I'd like to think this is a pretty unbiased opinion. Now before I say what I am about to say, Castle, and whoever else, don't jump on me for saying this, as my opinion is above. but I, in a way, agree with Sam.

Everyone is blowing the race thing out of proportion. But for Howards role, everything I just said in the post I quoted, that's what I see in him. However, there is no doubt some black stereotypes by Howard in that movie. That doesn't mean it was intentional, as those are probably Howards' mannerisms. His mannerisms, the way he speaks, the natural swagger, how he literally formed his words, to me, he fit some black stereo types. Unintentionally. Stereotypes are stereotypes, but like always, some people legitimately fit stereotypes. bad place, I'll be honest, I fit every single Italian stereotype. I worked with a kid who fit the "jock" stereotype (pisses me off, I was a jock in high school, but wasn't a duech) anyway, these stereotypes... They is what probably led sam to explain why it is a racist performance by howard. That does not mean he is racist, or being racist, it's just a deduction he made about a character, who he thought, was portayed in a racist way.

I am not Sam, but I guarentee this was his point of view. I have yet to read one post by him here that seemed racist. Observing something racist doesn't make you racist.

Let this thing die down, or a mod will get involved.

I'll tattle on all of you like a little girl
I think you missed the part where we repeatedly stated we were not saying he's racist but the terms he was using given the actual context of Howard's performance were racist. Are you really going to tell me that using the terms gangsta pimp/jivin and shivin 60's black funny man/Chris Tucker and Eddie Murphy impersonations/hip hop attitude with the evidence he presented does not sound racist? Half of what he used as justification for his claims were not terms or scenes instigated by Rhodes and he obviously has a very rough memory of the film and that probably influenced his opinion. You don't just throw out those kinds of terms for what Rhodey actually did in the movie and they don't sound racist because they just do not apply. This is not subjective, it is objective.

I'm sorry, but Sam is wrong and he needs to own up to it and just learn a lesson. He can't make statements like those and expect them to just be ignored or brushed under the rug.

Not only that, but he continues to accuse me of calling him racist and threatens sicking a mod on me when it is obvious he is simply not understanding what he said and not understanding what others are trying to tell him.

Last edited:
I think you missed the part where we repeatedly stated we were not saying he's racist but the terms he was using given the actual context of Howard's performance were racist. Are you really going to tell me that using the terms gangsta pimp/jivin and shivin 60's black funny man/Chris Tucker and Eddie Murphy impersonations/hip hop attitude with the evidence he presented does not sound racist? Half of what he used as justification for his claims were not terms or scenes instigated by Rhodes and he obviously has a very rough memory of the film and that probably influenced his opinion. You don't just throw out those kinds of terms for what Rhodey actually did in the movie and they don't sound racist because they just do not apply. This is not objective, it is subjective.

I'm sorry, but Sam is wrong and he needs to own up to it and just learn a lesson. He can't make statements like those and expect them to just be ignored or brushed under the rug.

Not only that, but he continues to accuse me of calling him racist and threatens sicking a mod on me when it is obvious he is simply not understanding what he said and not understanding what others are trying to tell him.
I didn't see anything racist in what he was saying. He was more discussing stereotypes/mannerisms than actually using racial terms to put one race above another. I'd say, if anything, you're being a tad bit too sensitive to his opinion.

I agree 100% with Mr. Dent however I'm going to drop it because I think we're beating a dead horse. I don't think he's going to own up to it and I'd rather not get into another heated debate lol

I didn't see anything racist in what he was saying. He was more discussing stereotypes/mannerisms than actually using racial terms to put one race above another. I'd say, if anything, you're being a tad bit too sensitive to his opinion.
I'm not being sensitive. I know what racist terms look like and those are them. I'm simply trying to tell him they are what they are and he needs to understand this and watch it going forward.

I think what you and jaqua are doing is giving him the benefit of the doubt because you know he is not inherently racist himself and are seeing what he is doing as a criticism of the film, but looking at those terms and the evidence he presented objectively, they come off as racist. He just can't throw those terms around in the context of a black actor simply because the way he portrayed the character was somewhat laid back in certain scenes. He sounds ignorant. He needs to own up to it and understand it. I'm not trying to put him on front street, but he just can't do that and not expect someone to hold him to a standard.

As Castle said, RDJ was wayyy more outlandish than Howard and is the one who actually instigated all those scenes he was talking about, yet no one has used those terms to describe RDJ's portrayal of Tony. It is what it is.

I agree 100% with Mr. Dent however I'm going to drop it because I think we're beating a dead horse. I don't think he's going to own up to it and I'd rather not get into another heated debate lol
I really don't want to drop it...but yes I guess they are just not going to see them as racist the way an actual black person would.

Last edited:
I'm not black and I can see how bad what they're saying sounds. most people are pretty stubborn when it comes to opinions though and won't admit to any wrong doing unless its absolutely necessary

Yes, I'm pretty pig headed myself so I'm not going to hold that against him, but when it comes to things like this he's going to have to learn to use his words more carefully. On top of that it's incredulous that he threatens me with a mod report when I was lenient in not just out right reporting what he said because I could see he was just ignorant to it.

Yeah. All you said at that point was "it seems borderline racist to me". called it race baiting and threatened to go the mods? He got way too defensive, I have a feeling he's been accused before

I'm not being sensitive. I know what racist terms look like and those are them. I'm simply trying to tell him they are what they are and he needs to understand this and watch it going forward.

I think what you and jaqua are doing is giving him the benefit of the doubt because you know he is not inherently racist himself and are seeing what he is doing as a criticism of the film, but looking at those terms and the evidence he presented objectively, they come off as racist. He just can't throw those terms around in the context of a black actor simply because the way he portrayed the character was somewhat laid back in certain scenes. He sounds ignorant. He needs to own up to it and understand it. I'm not trying to put him on front street, but he just can't do that and not expect someone to hold him to a standard.

As Castle said, RDJ was wayyy more outlandish than Howard and is the one who actually instigated all those scenes he was talking about, yet no one has used those terms to describe RDJ's portrayal of Tony. It is what it is.

I really don't want to drop it...but yes I guess they are just not going to see them as racist the way an actual black person would.
. They? Why are you dragging me into it? sam tends to exaggerate with words, so i tried to mediate and explain what i thought his intentions were, based on how he posts. so Why are you putting words in my mouth? that it literally my biggest pet peeve, so i am really gunna try to just keep down, but I don't think it's a racist performance. I do NOT think that. Never said I did. What I did say, is that Howard showed some black stereotypes, that's it. And i like cheadle cause he was more believable as an airforce colonel. Stereotyping and racism are NOT the same thing.

all I was doing was trying to end the debate, and try to explain why I think Sam perceived, I think he took stereotyping as racism, and he is a strongly opinionated person. Sorry for double post... Can't edit on my ipod

Okay, if you "really don't want to drop it," then consider yourself reported.

I gave you every chance to "just drop it," to just let your opinion be your opinion and my opinion be my opinion, and we all go on our merry ways, but you insist on insulting me and my family; threatening me with bodily harm (yay, internet tough guy); and accusing me of being a racist because I believe that Terrence Howard was playing an outdated racial stereotype of black buddy-cop sidekick.

You want to go irrational and get personal over it, fine. But I'm not going to sit here and listen to your insults and threats anymore.

I'm leaving this for the mods.

Howards Rhodey like Eddie Murphy in 48 Hours ? Thats rich.

But Chris Tucker as Rhodey would have been fun to watch the In Helmet View.

I prefer Cheadle

But of course what they really should have done was this

4993147_700b.jpg

As I recall, fun-vee was Stark not Rhodey in the first movie.

I miss Howard's performance as Rhodey, but that ship has sailed. What can you do?

Maybe its the baggage people have toward Howard's previous roles or personal life, but he came off pretty straight-laced to me.

Most of the lines mentioned as being "stereotypical" for Howard IMHO were not over the top, goofy Chris Tucker type lines.

to be honest, I don't think the lines themselve were bad it was just Howards delivery. If he had chosen a different approach, we wouldn't have this discussion right now

Everyone....and I mean everyone.....drop the racism talk. All you are doing is arguing and name calling that will lead to trouble for everyone. Move on.

As an attempt to bring this thread back to the original topic I hope in the second trailer we get more of a look at Rhodey to see his progression from IM2 to IM3. Something no one is talking about is how Rhodey was affected by the events of the avengers. Sure he wasnt there, but he does live in that world. He has no doubt been changed permanently from it.

I echo was Lee has said, discuss the character. Discuss the actor. The stereotyping has nothing to do with either, and has no place here.

That said, on topic, Terrence is an ok actor, but I liked Cheadle in the role better. Seemed older and wiser.

As an attempt to bring this thread back to the original topic I hope in the second trailer we get more of a look at Rhodey to see his progression from IM2 to IM3. Something no one is talking about is how Rhodey was affected by the events of the avengers. Sure he wasnt there, but he does live in that world. He has no doubt been changed permanently from it.

That's something that's been my concern. The attack was in New York. Obviously the intention of Loki was to have it spread to the entire world, but it didn't. I am hoping it was something that will have impacted the entire world, and not just New York, or even, the people of america

Well the Empire article gives a few details of how Rhodey is in IM3.

I think he's a little more hands on in this one, using his military expertise rather than just put on the WM armor and let rip.

Terrance never seemed like the Rhodey I remember from the comics. I think he did a fair job in the roll, but Cheadle much more reminds me of how Rhodey was in the comics.

What I think people mistake with Terrance is the friendship of Tony and Rhodey was better developed, but that was a story writing issue, not an acting issue.

Bottom line I can't picture Terrance Howard actually wearing the suit.

Terrance never seemed like the Rhodey I remember from the comics. I think he did a fair job in the roll, but Cheadle much more reminds me of how Rhodey was in the comics.

What I think people mistake with Terrance is the friendship of Tony and Rhodey was better developed, but that was a story writing issue, not an acting issue.

Bottom line I can't picture Terrance Howard actually wearing the suit.
Especially the helmet. Imagine how big that helmet would have had to have been. Cheadle and RDJ have fairly skinny heads that are comparable in size so both seem to fit the standard-sized IM helmet. Howard's head looks to be blockier and wider, namely in the jaw and cheek area.

See, that doesn't work for me. I just couldn't picture Howard in the suit either. I think Cheadle is a great actor, and with a decent script, I think his chemestry with RDJ will be fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
See, that doesn't work for me. I just couldn't picture Howard in the suit either. I think Cheadle is a great actor, and with a decent script, I think his chemestry with RDJ will be fantastic.
I can't see Howard as Rhodes/WM either. Can't put my finger on it but he just doesn't look right in the suit. Maybe it's because I've gotten used to Cheadle in it and prefer him.

Well that was an awkward couple of pages to read.

Yes, I miss Howard just because he had a better friendship with RDJ than cheadle. But that's mainly due to the writing, so maybe after IM3 my opinion will change.

Well that was an awkward couple of pages to read.

Yes, I miss Howard just because he had a better friendship with RDJ than cheadle. But that's mainly due to the writing, so maybe after IM3 my opinion will change.

exactly. There wasn't really any good moments for RDJ and Cheadle. Literally, their only moments were in the senate, and at the end with the battle. Everything else was essentially fighting.

But you could tell that he cared about Stark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"