Christian Bale vs. Leonardo DiCaprio

kang604

Civilian
Reaction score
Two questions: Who is the more talented actor, and who has the better career.

** FYI, I have mainly listed movies in which they were the leading man, or a notable supporting character.

CHRISTIAN BALE

BORN: Wales
NOTABLE FILMOGRAPHY: Empire of the Sun (1986), American Psycho (2000), Equilibrium (2002), The Machinist (2004), The New World (2005), Batman Begins (2005), The Prestige (2006), Harsh Times (2006), Rescue Dawn (2007), I'm Not There (2007), 3:10 to Yuma (2007), The Dark Knight (2008), Terminator:Salvation (2009), Public Enemies (2009)
GOLDEN GLOBES: 0 Wins, 0 Nominations
OSCARS: 0 Wins, 0 Nominations

Leonardo DiCaprio

BORN: USA
NOTABLE FILMOGRAPHY: What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993), The Quick and the Dead (1995), The Basketball Diaries (1995), Romeo & Juliet (1996), Marvin's Room (1996), Titanic (1997), The Man In The Iron Mask (1998), The Beach (2000), Catch Me If You Can (2002), Gangs of New York (2002), The Aviator (2004), Blood Diamond (2006), The Departed (2006), Body Of Lies (2008), Revolutionary Road (2008), Shutter Island (2010)
GOLDEN GLOBES: 1 win (Best Actor - The Aviator), 6 nominations
OSCARS: 0 wins, 3 nominations

... personally I think Leo kills it and is the best A-list actor out there but I think he takes himself a little too seriously. Bale does popcorn blockbusters but always seems to bring it back with a serious dramatic turn (ie. Harsh Times)

but its Leo for me. Thoughts?

I'll go with Bale, despite the awful Terminator movie and Batman voice. American Psycho, The Machinist, Rescue Dawn, and The Prestige seal it for me.

Both overated BIG TIME!, imo. Leo likes to think he's some big serious actor like Denzel washupington (yes I spelled it that way on purpose). He always acts in serious, gritty movies with Scorcese, thinking it'll get him more awards. Clearly an actor who does what he does for fame not for fun or because he loves it. Bale, although I appreciate how he mixes up his roles unlike dicraprio (also spelled that incorrect on purpose), he still comes across like a guy who tries to hard even in movies that are supposed to be summer fun. I think actors these days get the "Greatest actor ever" rep far to easilly given to them by people.

That's my two cents.

Steve

it's hard to say because both careers are still actively on-going..

Both actors always seem to take me out of the movie with their style of acting. Bale with his neutral demeanor and DiCaprio with his modern accent... they are not effective at keeping me in tune with the movie. Just my opinion.

Personally, I like Bale but as of right now, Bale does NOT work well as the 'straight man'. As a character actor, he works better in that element when he's playing dark, eccentric characters.

For example, Gary Oldman too is a character actor but he has done wonders with his Gordon from Nolan's Batman films. He has the right amount of warmth and humanity that Bale needs to convey more in order to play the 'everyday man'. There's a bit of a disconnection with Bale's persona, which gives him both a disadvantage at playing the loving husband but an advantage as the cooky dude.

But he's young enough and talented enough that perhaps he can explore new options.

That's why I think while comedy may not suit Bale, he should perhaps try it out. Experiment a little more.

I agree with the "disconnection" comment. Bale is a wonderful actor but does not make me care at all for his well being in any movie. He should take a cue from Will Smith... who somehow, someway, oozes that "no matter what I do... you will like me" vibe.

oh dang...tough but im gonna play favoritism and go with bale...hes the bomb
but its tough to say...best acting performances i think goes to bale
best amount and variety of movies...dicaprio

Bale, no doubt. I like Leo a lot, too, but Bale's always impressed me one way or another....not including Terminator Salvation, of course.

Personally, I like Bale but as of right now, Bale does NOT work well as the 'straight man'. As a character actor, he works better in that element when he's playing dark, eccentric characters.

For example, Gary Oldman too is a character actor but he has done wonders with his Gordon from Nolan's Batman films. He has the right amount of warmth and humanity that Bale needs to convey more in order to play the 'everyday man'. There's a bit of a disconnection with Bale's persona, which gives him both a disadvantage at playing the loving husband but an advantage as the cooky dude.

But he's young enough and talented enough that perhaps he can explore new options.

That's why I think while comedy may not suit Bale, he should perhaps try it out. Experiment a little more.
This is exactly how I feel about Bale. I never root for him in a movie. He's good at playing disturbed, morally questionable characters, but I find him creepy when he tries to be likable. The only time I actually felt for his character was in Equilibrium, where he plays an emotionless character that eventually learns to feel.

In The Prestige, he was an interesting character but I didn't support his actions.
As Batman, he doesn't come across as heroic, just disturbed. His Bruce Wayne is very fake to me. (I concede that this is probably exactly what Nolan and Bale were going for with the character)
In Terminator Salvation, I felt the same way as Batman. He wasn't a hero, just a man that was obsessed.

I love his performance in American Psycho, though. Where he plays a murderous psychopath.

i also get sometimes a feeling like Leo is after awards with some of hes movies.

I like Bale, but DiCaprio is the better actor.

I personally see Bale as the better actor, but DiCaprio as the better movie-star. For me, Bale's more of a character actor whereas Leo's is a traditional leading man type.

Leo is a movie star and leading man?

Better actor? DiCaprio for me without question.

Of course on a superhero board everyone is going to say Bale, but its far and away DiCaprio. Bale's quality of work in his best picture, hasn't been able to touch DiCaprio's worst.

I think Bale is better. He's been way more versatile.

I've been much more captivated by DiCaprio's performances, but I've also seen more of his highly acclaimed performances, so it's hard to compare.

I would definitely say that DiCaprio is a better leading man and Bale is a better character actor.

Leo is a movie star and leading man?
Are you seriously asking this question? :huh:...he gets paid 20 million dollars per film. If that doesn't equate to big movie star and leading man I don't know what does.

Anyway...they both annoy me but I'll go with Bale since he annoys me the less. Also Bale looks old for his age. I thought he was for sure in his mid 40s.

Both are talented guys.

I really don't see the versatility in Bale. Or at least in the roles that he's attracted too. He can play likable, but his choices are generally of the "look at me, I'm a serious actor" type. It wouldn't hurt him to do a comedy. Or to take a more romantic role. Or at least to do a film about a relationship. Bale, like Orson Welles, always seems to have a barrier between him and the people around him. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it works for him as Batman, in American Psycho, and in 3:10 to Yuma, but it certainly worked against him in Terminator Salvation as a leader of men.

Titanic was the most important thing that happened to Leonardo DiCaprio. It cemented him as a star and romantic lead, but also made him determined to shake that image. He's been determined to play the tough guy quite a bit to toughen up his image. I don't think it worked in Gangs of New York, but it did in The Departed. And Blood Diamond. He'll never be a natural at it, while I can easily imagine Christian Bale in place of DiCaprio in Gangs of New York, but it's now part of his range. Stuff like What's Eating Gilbert Grape and Catch Me If You Can are where he's been able to use his boyish nature to good use. He's in an interesting place in his career. Obviously, Scorsese is a mentor, but he has a lot of options. More crime thrillers, romance, straight drama, action, and perhaps a comedy or two.

Are you seriously asking this question? :huh:...he gets paid 20 million dollars per film. If that doesn't equate to big movie star and leading man I don't know what does.

Anyway...they both annoy me but I'll go with Bale since he annoys me the less. Also Bale looks old for his age. I thought he was for sure in his mid 40s.
a lot of actors get big paychecks. this is hollywood

^ Actually no. Not a lot. There are only a hand full of actors and actresses that demand that kind of money up front for just about every movie they make

Of course on a superhero board everyone is going to say Bale, but its far and away DiCaprio. Bale's quality of work in his best picture, hasn't been able to touch DiCaprio's worst.

Why am I not surprised by this post by Matt? This is just an honest opinion of mine, but I'm sure you'll accuse me of superhero "bias" even though I've felt this way before Bale was ever in the Batman movies (and despite the fact that I will quickly call Nolan's Batman movies two of the most overrated ever): Bale's work in American Psycho is better than anything DiCaprio has done during their adult careers. DiCaprio's best work is actually in Gilbert Grape.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"