Christmas catalogs from the "good old days"

1962 was way before my time, but just to show that they had some cool toys back then as well, check out these pages from the '62 Sears Christmas catalog...

2mdq636.jpg

2yl8z1t.jpg

Certain toys seen here^ are VERY valuable today, including Mr Atomic, Great Garloo and King Zor.

Last edited:
Laugh at the outdated 16-bit technology, but remember in 15 years or so kids on holodecks will mock your PS3 in the same way.

r85tae.jpg

^The best era for games. Period. I still remember seeing the first Gamepro that featured the first shots of Super Mario World and Sonic. I still got that thing somewhere in my old room.

Yeah, I don't think anything can top the guy in Robocop getting dunked in toxic waste and then getting splattered all over the hood of a car.

Don't forget Robocop shooting the guy in the crotch either.

Don't forget Robocop shooting the guy in the crotch either.

Yep, it's hard to believe Kenner made toys based on one of the most violent R-rated sci-fi movies of the 1980s...
xpaebp.jpg

But of course there was also this toy as well...

2r70ioj.jpg

-- made by Diamond, a lesser-known toy company, this was the very first action figure version of Arnold Schwarzenegger, sold in 1986.

Dont forget toylines for Rambo, Terminator 2, Aliens, Predator, and Over the top.

Okay so Over the Top may or may not have been rated R but still.....a toy line for Over the Top!

It's now time for a TV commercial break, brought to you by Hungry Hungry Hippos, circa 1983....

Warning: the song will stick in your head.

Yep, it's hard to believe Kenner made toys based on one of the most violent R-rated sci-fi movies of the 1980s...
xpaebp.jpg
Toy companies tried to do this a lot. Trying to push other figures based on the popularity of one figure but even back then I realized, who the eff wants to play with Wheels, Birdman or Ace? :huh: I want to be Robocop. :o

From the 1979 Wards Christmas catalog, two great large-size action figures...

2dslanc.jpg

Back in the days before "articulation" was a big selling point.

The Kenner Alien and ROM were two of the coolest toys from 1979, but on the other end of the spectrum was "My Puppy Puddles"....

209kp74.jpg

After the toy dog sucked up the water through its rubber tongue, you put it on its paper tray area, where a small plastic peg goes up its butt and releases the water, making a puddle of "pee". Now that's play-value!

Somebody please find the... I suppose...1993 J.C.Penny. It had the best Jurassic Park toys. I still remember looking at the electric fence set in awe.

ROM had a toy?? Wow, I really did not know that. I used to have every single issue of ROM.

just wow!

ROM had a toy?? Wow, I really did not know that. I used to have every single issue of ROM.

just wow!

Yep, ROM was actually a toy before the Marvel comic came along. Made by Parker Brothers, the board game company, weirdly enough.

Here's the promotional video for ROM from the 1979 Toy Fair...

ROM the Spaceknight! Wow, the memories you bring back are priceless. :up:

Merry Christmas 2009! (one day late - so sue me)

11uunwg.jpg

209kp74.jpg

After the toy dog sucked up the water through its rubber tongue, you put it on its paper tray area, where a small plastic peg goes up its butt and releases the water, making a puddle of "pee". Now that's play-value!

But dosent this teach kids to stick something up a dogs a$$ when it needs to go to the bathroom?:csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"