Clive Barker's Book of Blood

Galactus

Devourer of Worlds
Reaction score
EXCL: Doug Bradley Cast in Book of Blood
Source: ShockTillYouDrop.comDecember 3, 2007

Doug Bradley is returning to the Barker-verse.

The actor, best known to genre fans as Pinhead in the "Hellraiser" franchise, secured a role in Book of Blood, the next in a line of forthcoming adaptations culled from Clive Barker's "Books of Blood." Lionsgate releases Midnight Meat Train next May and principal photography begins on Anthony DiBlasi's Pig Blood Blues sometime after the first of the new year. Both appeared in "Book I" of Barker's carnal collection.

Bradley, we have learned, will play the role of "Tollington" in Book of Blood, a name that should strike a familiar chord for those who have read the wraparound short story the film is based on. This is the first of many casting announcements that are bound to pop up as cameras begin rolling on the film next week in Scotland.

In "Blood," a medium is called to investigate Number 65, Tollington Place, a haunted house. So it says in Barker's tale, "no one could possess it long without insanity setting in." John Harrison (of Sci-Fi's "Dune" mini-series) is directing; he collaborated on the screenplay with Darin Silverman.

Good news, very good news! :woot:
Now I need to read it again. :o

Nifty. Barker's a fantastic writer, and his first few films from over a decade ago are still entertaining- if not a bit cheesy- today. Parts of Lord of Illusions still creep me out. The Dune miniseries had it's high points and it's lows, and the acting surely wasn't one of the highs, so I'll remain cautiously looking forward to it. Great to have a bunch of Barker films in the pipeline again.

So they're doing movies on the individual short stories from the series?

I think it would have worked better as an anthology series, either on HBO or Showtime, with each short story as an episode.

Nifty. Barker's a fantastic writer, and his first few films from over a decade ago are still entertaining- if not a bit cheesy- today. Parts of Lord of Illusions still creep me out. The Dune miniseries had it's high points and it's lows, and the acting surely wasn't one of the highs, so I'll remain cautiously looking forward to it. Great to have a bunch of Barker films in the pipeline again.

Clive Barker didn't write Dune

Two More Join Barker's Book of Blood
Source: FangoriaJanuary 10, 2008

Here's a blast from the past: UK actress Sophie Ward has been cast in a leading role in the upcoming Clive Barker adaptation Book of Blood. Ward, if you recall, previously starred in Young Sherlock Holmes; she also appeared in Waxwork II: Lost in Time, but let's remember her better days, shall we?

The casting announcement came by way of Fangoria today who spoke to "Blood" director John Harrison. He added TV "Robin Hood" Jonas Armstrong is starring opposite Ward in an unspecified lead part. We presume he's playing Simon McNeal, a medium hired to investigate a haunted house.

Last month, we exclusively reported "Hellraiser" vet Doug Bradley has a part in the film, for more details on that, click here. Book of Blood is currently shooting in Scotland; the production will move to London in the coming weeks

So they're doing movies on the individual short stories from the series?

I think it would have worked better as an anthology series, either on HBO or Showtime, with each short story as an episode.

That's a brilliant idea. I haven't read these books in years. I can hardly remember what age I was when I first read them, but I distinctly remember several visuals from the stories. I remember "The Chattering and Jack" and some short story about a gay couple traveling the British countryside who come across a village where the townspeople have a huge battle in wicker robots. Holy crap! Just reading that description makes me wonder it that's an accurate recollection or if I was on some serious medication at that time!!!

Also, wasn't Rawhead Rex one of the Books of Blood stories?

No ****, you think?! Read the original article in the first post and get back to me.

John Harrison (of Sci-Fi's "Dune" mini-series) is directing

It only says that John Harrison directed Dune, no mention of Clive Barker writing it. :)

Kind of like there was no mention of me ever saying Clive Barker wrote Dune.

That's a brilliant idea. I haven't read these books in years. I can hardly remember what age I was when I first read them, but I distinctly remember several visuals from the stories. I remember "The Chattering and Jack" and some short story about a gay couple traveling the British countryside who come across a village where the townspeople have a huge battle in wicker robots. Holy crap! Just reading that description makes me wonder it that's an accurate recollection or if I was on some serious medication at that time!!!

Also, wasn't Rawhead Rex one of the Books of Blood stories?

The story about the gay couple traveling around Europe and coming across the two cites fighting is called "In the Hills, the Cities" I believe. That story was so crazy, how the people of each of those cities formed together to make a giant.

If you look for the book/graphic novel called "Tapping the Vein" it has a number of his stories including that one as well as "Pig Blood Blues" and "Midnight Meat Train" done in comic format.

"The Chattering and Jack" was done live action before as an old and cheesy episode of "Tales From the Darkside".

sounds like a winner, i'll definitly be checking this out

http://www.shocktilyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=4259

Two More Join Barker's Book of Blood
Source: Fangoria
January 10, 2008

Here's a blast from the past: UK actress Sophie Ward has been cast in a leading role in the upcoming Clive Barker adaptation Book of Blood. Ward, if you recall, previously starred in Young Sherlock Holmes; she also appeared in Waxwork II: Lost in Time, but let's remember her better days, shall we?

The casting announcement came by way of Fangoria today who spoke to "Blood" director John Harrison. He added TV "Robin Hood" Jonas Armstrong is starring opposite Ward in an unspecified lead part. We presume he's playing Simon McNeal, a medium hired to investigate a haunted house.

Last month, we exclusively reported "Hellraiser" vet Doug Bradley has a part in the film, for more details on that, click here. Book of Blood is currently shooting in Scotland; the production will move to London in the coming weeks.

http://www.clivebarker.info/newsbobjournal.html

16 January 2008
Dear Revelations!

Hope you are all well. Here is our first entry from our crew - and many more to follow. I think it's very appropriate that we start this off with Phil - our most hardcore Clive Barker fan on set. We are sad to lose him to school - but that is much more important!!! Phil did some amazing detective work to track us down in town - and not to be a downer - but all our jobs are filled. The production would have my head if they get bombarded by emails and phone calls asking for a job on the film! LOL!!! Please take this in the fun I mean it - but...you know what I'm saying with love. There will be many more BOOKS OF BLOOD FILMS TO COME!!! YEAH!

A DAY (WELL, TEN DAYS REALLY) IN THE LIFE OF A RUNNER

by: Phil Robinson

Okay, so where do I begin? Who am I may be a good start. I'm Phil Robinson, I'm at university here in Scotland doing film and media, I have big dreams of becoming a writer/director and I am quite obsessed with the work of Mr. Clive Barker.

It started with the viewing of a film you may have heard of, the film was Hellraiser, and what I saw that night changed my life. I loved the rawness of Skinless Frank, the mystery of the puzzle box and, of coure, the man with the pins ( I think you know who I mean...)

Since then, I've been reading and watching in wonder at the work of Clive; the man who has inspired me to expand my creativity more than anyone else. I have even created my own tribute, so to speak, to HELLRAISER by adapting the comic story of Wordsworth (written by Neil Gaiman - a must read!) into a short film I made with my friends. If you want to check it out, it can be found here:

You Tube link

I can remember reading THE BOOKS OF BLOOD for the first time; I got a beautiful hardback copy of the first three volumes, and spent the next few days of my life religiously reading them cover to cover. The stand out stories for me had to be "Rawhead Rex" (just a pity about the film...) and "The Yattering and Jack."

But how did I get to work on the new Clive Barker movie? Well, I have this very website to thank. After they let the cat out of the bag (don't worry, no cats have been hurt in the making of this film...yet) that the film would be made in Edinburgh, I simply had to get on set. So using my detective skills, I tracked down the production company and asked very nicely for a job.....and here I am!

It has been a fabulous few days, and between the coffee runs and photocopying, I've seen some wonderful things and learnt so much. The cast and crew have been wonderful to me, and I'm going out and saying that (from what I've seen at least) THE BOOK OF BLOOD is going to be a must see for horror fans, and will be talked about as one of the classics like HELLRAISER and CANDYMAN.

And so, as my ten days on set draw to an end, so does this blog entry. I hope that all you guys and girls out there enjoy the film as much as I've enjoyed working on it, and let's hope that some day soon you can be checking out one of my films on the big screen!

Phil Robinson

14 January 2008

Dear Revelations!

Happy New Year! I hope everyone is great. I have some great entries coming from the BOOK OF BLOOD crew soon.

We would like to make an exclusive announcement on Revelations that Simon Bamford (Butterball Cenobite/HELLRAISER and Ohnaka/NIGHTBREED) is part of the cast of BOOK OF BLOOD. Simon has already finished filming and we were thrilled to have him on board.

There are many familiar faces on this production from Clive's past films. Having Doug Bradley and Simon Bamford part of BOOK OF BLOOD has been wonderful and felt just right.

Speak soon, Joe

Bringing Simon on board the Book of Blood project is especially apt as, over twenty years ago, Clive based the character Simon McNeal on his good friend Simon Bamford..!

So the story he is making into a film is the first 'intro' story right? Where they have the boy in the room that
gets all the stories your about to read cut into him from the ghosts/demons?

So the story he is making into a film is the first 'intro' story right? Where they have the boy in the room that
gets all the stories your about to read cut into him from the ghosts/demons?

I have no idea.

this one is rated PG right?

I don't think there's a rating just yet.
The Midnight Meat Train will be Rated R.

I've never read a Clive Barker book in my life.
Is "Books of Blood" a good place to start? I love short stories!

블라스;13847662 said:
I've never read a Clive Barker book in my life.
Is "Books of Blood" a good place to start? I love short stories!

I found it to be a good starting point, especially if you've read and enjoyed H.P. Lovecraft. Not that Barker is exactly like him, but if you like the ****ed up surreal stuff, Books of Blood have it.

The only thing is, there are 6 volumes of Books of Blood. Stateside, 1-3 are in a collection entitled "Books of Blood". Volumes 4-6 are published individually under the titles "The Inhuman Condition", "In The Flesh" and "Cabal".

http://www.matadorpictures.com/inproduction_bookofblood.html

Paranormal researcher Mary Florescu's investigations lead her to Simon McNeal, a college student who appears to be channelling messages from the dead. As their erotic relationship develops the line between the worlds of the living and the dead become blurred and finally collapse in a stunning and astonishing climax.

bookofblood_large.jpg

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=4694

EXCL: Large Look at Book of Blood Teaser Art
Source:ShockTillYouDrop.com
February 10, 2008

Below you'll find a somewhat larger look at the teaser poster art for Clive Barker's Book of Blood that was created for the Berlin Int'l Film Festival. Matador Pictures has also released the first two stills from director John Harrison's adaptation - you can find them here in all of their gory glory.

bobhi-res2.jpg

looking forward to this. now if only i could get a real, bad ass live action version of Rawhead Rex

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"