Comic Books...How they've affected your life.

donaldthe3rd

Civilian
Reaction score
This thread is open for anyone to share how comic books have affected their lives. Wherther it be a certain character or particular story, please share how your life has changed because of this great industry.
I guess its only fitting that I should go first to start things up:
I can't really remember the first comic book or superhero cartoon that inspired me to take up collecting and reading comics. Though I can remember spending alot of my time drawing up my favorite characters and watching the shows or movies they played in. Comic books have been with me my whole life and have created te person I'am today.
My friends sometimes ask me that if there were no comic books in the world what would I be like today and when I think about it, its a little scary. I've always found comics to be a way of getting away from reality and be in my own place that I didn't have to try and fit in to. Though mind you I'd much rather be weird than normal anyday, normal just seems too boring.
I can't really land on one specific character(s) or story that had a superior hand in molding who I'am today, theres just too darn many! But I can honestly say that this one character, my favorite character, is an inspiration to me. Now I know some of you know who I'am talking about and before I say who it is know this: When I see a picture or read about a certain superhero, before I even see them as superheroes, I see them for who they really are. When I see Captain America, I see a true American patriot, a living symbol for peace, liberty and justice, something that what we all strive so hard for. When I see Ironman, I see a man whose been broken inside and only wishes to do what is right so that he may be fixed someday.
Who is my inspiration? It is an adventurer, a man who I share many beliefs with, a broken and truly lonely man who fights on for the right cause no matter what torment he is pressed upon. This is man is James Howlett, Wolverine, Weapon X, Patch, Lucky Jim, or Ol' Canucklehead. I have always wanted to be like him, heck who hasn't? There are times that I have wished to just get on my bike and ride away, living only with and by myself on the road. I admire how even when beaten to the brink of death he continues to fight for what he believes is a rightful cause, no matter what the consequense. I even share some religous views as he does lol. Hes inspired me to become a better person and to fight for what I believe in no matter what others may think or say. There are other reasons that explain how he inspires me, but maybe for another time. So come on and start sharing your stories!!

hey this is a nice thread... sorry i didn't reply sooner...

comics have affected me as well, in terms of just seeing how drawings and paintings have an impact on me, on a way a book has an impact on me. Certain ones I definitely just enjoy for the escapist adventure of it all. Others make me think and have a great deal of depth and complexity which are neat issues to think about.

I can't be certain as to how they've affected my life but I know they have, all I can say is that I'm so glad to be a comic book fan cuz they provide such huge joy in reading esp when dealing with the all the crap that life offers in general.

buddy with the kind of jobs i have to do as such... i hardly get much time to get on here... I come on here often to mainly read stuff but dont' get much time to post as much as I'd like cuz I generally sometimes make huge long posts

all in all though i'm pretty much the oldest member on the forum i think (not like in terms of actual age, but in terms of the april 2000 starting date)...

I've got to say, after really analyzing and coming to appreciate the cultural, psychological, and sometimes spiritual archetypes that various comic book characters touch upon has, in turn, helped me better understand myself and the world around me.

This thread is open for anyone to share how comic books have affected their lives. Wherther it be a certain character or particular story, please share how your life has changed because of this great industry.
I guess its only fitting that I should go first to start things up:
I can't really remember the first comic book or superhero cartoon that inspired me to take up collecting and reading comics. Though I can remember spending alot of my time drawing up my favorite characters and watching the shows or movies they played in. Comic books have been with me my whole life and have created te person I'am today.
My friends sometimes ask me that if there were no comic books in the world what would I be like today and when I think about it, its a little scary. I've always found comics to be a way of getting away from reality and be in my own place that I didn't have to try and fit in to. Though mind you I'd much rather be weird than normal anyday, normal just seems too boring.
I can't really land on one specific character(s) or story that had a superior hand in molding who I'am today, theres just too darn many! But I can honestly say that this one character, my favorite character, is an inspiration to me. Now I know some of you know who I'am talking about and before I say who it is know this: When I see a picture or read about a certain superhero, before I even see them as superheroes, I see them for who they really are. When I see Captain America, I see a true American patriot, a living symbol for peace, liberty and justice, something that what we all strive so hard for. When I see Ironman, I see a man whose been broken inside and only wishes to do what is right so that he may be fixed someday.
Who is my inspiration? It is an adventurer, a man who I share many beliefs with, a broken and truly lonely man who fights on for the right cause no matter what torment he is pressed upon. This is man is James Howlett, Wolverine, Weapon X, Patch, Lucky Jim, or Ol' Canucklehead. I have always wanted to be like him, heck who hasn't? There are times that I have wished to just get on my bike and ride away, living only with and by myself on the road. I admire how even when beaten to the brink of death he continues to fight for what he believes is a rightful cause, no matter what the consequense. I even share some religous views as he does lol. Hes inspired me to become a better person and to fight for what I believe in no matter what others may think or say. There are other reasons that explain how he inspires me, but maybe for another time. So come on and start sharing your stories!!
ive never really like wolverine, but this kinda put him in a new light for me. :up:

i think as a culture, comics have really changed my life.... the art, the escapism, the worlds.... it's all so much

i mean it's almost as if when you stay w/ a character, that character and their world becomes a part of you....

i think w/o comics, i wouldn't wanna be around

I used to have more money, now I don't.

I was going to say I'd have a bigger bank balance.

But I'd probably be spending it on drugs and women instead.

So comics saved me from being a drugged-up pimp.

I started reading Spider-man comics and learned to read is probably the main one. Grant Morrison's prose piece is my ideal reading style because of it. I'm not sure if it's a good thing but during any lapse of boredom in school I pretend I'm Green Arrow.:o

I've never really liked books at all in my life and since I was a kid, I was always on the couch watching TV or playing a video games and the first day I read a comic I could sit and read all day(thank god my teachers have let me do book reports on trades:woot:) which has helped me out a lot. And has also made me a lot faster since I have to run from football practice after school to the comic shop on wednesdays to get new stuff before it closes.

I've read comics since I was a kid, but my first foray into American Comic book collecting was when I found a small comic book shop on a night out in my local city of Leeds (we were going to the theatre, can't remember what to see) and I ended up buying three issues of Captain Planet (it was a long time ago) and an issue of Spider-Man. Ever since then I've been a huge Spider-Man fan and Batman, which was a series I'd read as a child became my second favourite. I've been hooked more or less continually since then, I'm now 27, two decades on and can't ever see myself getting out of being a comic book fan. I've bought videos, DVD's, figures, mini busts, video games and all kinds of comic related merchandise as well over the years. There have been brief periods where I've drifted away from comics, but I've always come back. It's hard to say why I love comics so much. I guess it's the characters, the villains, the weird and wonderful storylines and the fact I'm quite a big reader anyway. But the characters and the mythology are a big part of my life and my second love (after my wife).

it sounds fanboyish to say but my life would be completely different without comics, I have a whole room in my house dedicated to them. I started hanging out with a lot of my best friends because of that common interest. Since I was a kid I've said how I want to own a comic shop one day, something I'm really working on right now. The only tattoos I have, or plan, on getting are comic related. Needless to say comics will always be a part of my life.

I like the stories and the characters.

Basically.

It's embedded into my self through reading and loving them as a child, and continuing that trend now.

Sorry everyone, never knew anyone replied to this thread lol I forgot I started it. But its really great to see how all of you are sharing your stories on how comics really become a big part of your life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"