Comics, the Economy, and You

WompuM

Esquire
Reaction score
So apparently comic book prices are about to jump. The standard price will be $3.99 an issue rather than $2.99. Now, compare this to 2000 when the standard price was $1.99. Crazy.

Anyhoo, will this cause a change in your buying habits and what titles will you drop?

I always support books I want to see continue. The amount I buy will certianly go down. I hate it more when theres a slow week of releases and then a bunch of titles the next week.

I hear that. The first week of the month is killer for me, then it's the last week of the month. Besides these final crisis tie-ins are ridiculous(and better than FC itself).

I definitely have to cut back I spend about $60 a month on average and I only read DC published stuff. Still not sure what to cut but my essentials (Fables, Jonah Hex, Batman, Action Comics and Booster Gold) aren't going anywhere. I need to split that number in half. **** is that rough out here in NYC. I'm about to be out of a job in 4 months so I need to think ahead. But yay thank god for unemployment insurance :csad:.

I've already been cutting back on comics. This'll just be another excuse to brutally cut anything from my pull list that even slightly disappoints me. Yeah, I'm looking at you, Final Crisis, with your boring-ass first two issues. I don't care that you're supposedly really awesome now. I'm not taking you back! :cmad:

There's always the trade. Come to think of it I'm seriously contemplating for the first time in my life to drop monthly's forever and just stick to TPB's. The five year old in me keeps pulling me back though. It has become awesome though issue 3 & 4 had two of the best ending pages in recent years. I have not read the tie-in's at all though except Superman Beyond because those ****ers are too expensive for me right now. Those I will buy the TPB's the main story is enough for me at this point.

Nah, no trade. I find myself really not caring at all about Final Crisis, which leaves me with no desire to read it, even if it is great. I've missed great comic stories before and I'll survive missing this one. Everything'll be reset in a few years anyway.

Yeah, but it's only seven issues. And you already bought the first 2. 15$ isn't worth it?

Not when I could spend that $15 on any number of other things.

This of course depends on the quality of scotch.

And by the time $15 scotch ages enough to be good... you could have read Final Crisis.

I just dont get it Corp. How many issues of COuntdown did you read?

Over the past year, I've been buying around 14-20 titles per month. This month, I'll pull 13, and then I'll be down to 10 in December. After that, I might consider closing out my monthly pull altogether.

I pretty much quit singles. I've slowly been cutting back, all I need now is JSA 20 and I get to drop my whole pull list and never return to my lcs again. 7 years I've gone to them and now I have to tell them im leaving. :csad:

I'll be buying trades though but only from amazon, since there super cheap used.

Hmmmm......with such a price bump, I'm going to need to think about dropping some titles. I won't bother including "Final Crisis" in my pull-list, as that's a mini-series with a clear end in sight. But let me see...

SECRET SIX
I appreciate it's well-written and characterised, but it just doesn't grab me and engage me like it probably should. I'm giving it another of issues before making a final decision, but it looks like I'll be dropping this first in the event of any price bump.

BATMAN CONFIDENTIAL
Was only getting this for the Joker arc. But the first part was lacklustre, to the point where even though I consider myself a dedicated Joker fan who'll pick up anything featuring the character, I'm thinking of not even sticking around to see how the story finishes.

SUPERMAN
Will only be picking it up to complete the "New Krypton" arc. The content could win me over, but as it stands, I don't expect to keep buying it after the arc eds.

SUPERGIRL
See Superman.

NIGHTWING
This one's a bit tougher, as I've found myself really enjoying the title. I only picked it up initially for the "Batman RIP" tie-in. Said tie-in ended up being practically non-existant, but the strong story kept me reading. I'm really enjoying Tomasi's work on the book, and will stick with the title past the RIP tie-in phase and on a couple of issues further, see how he wraps up the Two-Face story. But beyond that? I like the title, but there are others I'd rather keep going should spending become an issue.

THE STAND
This would be a hard one to drop, as I'm loving this series so far. However, I do own the original novel, and am very familiar with the story. So while ideally I'd like to keep buying this, if things became really tight, I guess I could bring myself to cut it.

So, in terms of ongoing monthlies, that would leave me with:

Batman
Detective Comics
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Action Comics
Jonah Hex

And probably whatever new "Flash" title(s) emerge out of "Rebirth".

i will continue buying
Robin
Batman
The Flash
Final Crisis
Titans
Teen Titans

Probably gonna just stick with Action and Green Lantern.

Not sure if I'll continue to get FC.

This of course depends on the quality of scotch.

And by the time $15 scotch ages enough to be good... you could have read Final Crisis.

I just dont get it Corp. How many issues of COuntdown did you read?

You do know that Scotch doesn't age once it's in a bottle right? It does its aging in sherry casks. A 12 year old bottle Single malt, will still be a 12 year old single malt even if its been sat in your drinks cabinet for 10 years. Plus there is no way a $15 dollar of Scotch will ever taste good at all - don't bother.

As far as comics go, I'm probably going to have to cut back, not so much for the economy, but because my wife is expecting our first child. I've realised my comic room will have to become baby's room. Where do I move my 4,500 comics too? The additional costs of new baby and diminishing storage space is turning me to TPBs.

Teen Titans has the potential to be good in the coming months, what with Static and Kid Eternity and the mystery member.

Well, you're just Mr. Negative this morning aren't you?

Teen Titans will not be returning to it's glory days anytime soon.

Well geez, I didn't say it would be THAT good. Back when the line-up made sense....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"