Composers for the Captain Marvel movie

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by Silvermoth, May 4, 2018.

?

What should the score be?

1. Orchestral music like John Williams

2. 90s pop music/punk

3. A mix of the two

4. Something else

5. I don’t know

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Marvel united

Marvel united Omega level Mutant

Uhh no thanks.

2. Aximili86

Aximili86 Registered

Yes indeedilydoodily Flanderinos.

3. Elayis

Elayis Registered

Well, it'll probably have more in common with Zimmer and the RCP sound, given that Toprak was a protege of his. I imagine it'll sound similar to her work on The Wind Gods, The Challenger or The Tides of Fate, as mclay mention earlier.

I just hope she's given room to stretch and explore, as her action stuff so far has sounded a tad generic and trailer music-y.

4. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

I reckon you might be the closest actually! I reckon the filmmakers will be very heavily inspired by Independence Day and Armageddon.

It would be fun to have something pulse pounding but not exactly militistic like the Duke Nukem theme. Quintessional 90s action score

5. Aximili86

Aximili86 Registered

Pretty much. :( Goddamn Zimmer & his cronies.

Oh well, benefit of the doubt of course until we actually hear something. Better be way more damn Silvestri/Doyle/Bates/Beck than Jackman though. *Shakes fist at the sky in futility*

6. Elayis

Elayis Registered

Marvel seemed to like what Jackman did on his two Cap films and they already had Djawadi for IM1, so they're definitely okay with the RCP sound.

At this point, though, I think it's too early to say what it'll sound like. Toprak doesn't seem to have adopted a signature voice yet when it comes to her music, something that jumps out at you that couldn't have been composed by anyone else. This is her big moment to shine, so it all depends on the directors and what they (and the studio) want.

John Powell and Harry Gregson-Williams both worked at RCP and yet they still create scores that are 100% their unique voice and predominantly orchestral. Wonder Woman could've sounded like anything, but it was Patty Jenkins who specifically requested a Zimmer-esque score (and why she got the real thing for WW84). Toprak has shown she has talent and range, it's just up to the filmmaker and what their vision is.

Personally I'm hoping for something in the vein of David Arnold's ID4, something unabashedly grandiose and melodic. We got something similar with Ant-Man and TFA, so it's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

7. Aximili86

Aximili86 Registered

Yeah. Powell's kind of an exception though, obviously did his time with the group there, but he's always seemed to have an affinity for the oldschool in his own stuff. Like he was born a peer-group too late or whatever.

And yeah, Arnold's awesome, I'd love something Independence Day-ish here. That's obviously opposite end of the spectrum from the Zimmer/RCP wheelhouse though, so we'll have to see.

Just...yeah, enough with the Jackman style crap. The Hydra-Winter Soldier NIN type theme was sweet, and his end-credits track for TWS was nice enough, but honestly the rest of that flick's so beyond bland in a score sense. The best stuff in that movie's the museum work where he's apeing that Silvestri sound for some continuity and 40s references, and in that case it's just like...go get Silvestri. Not like he's never done electronic-y scores before, guy's more than capable of it.

Honestly I haven't heard a whole lot from Toprak though, more than willing to not pre-judge here. After all, even RCP of all places have produced outliers like you said, Powell's rad, and on a good day Djawadi can cook up some greatness (IM1's decent enough, but his Person Of Interest stuff is amazing). Hope she's one of those, rather than your usual Zimmer Clone #394.

8. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

Marvel has used multiple people with RCP ties. In addition to Jackman, Djawadi, and Toprak, Tyler Bates (GOTG), Danny Elfman (AoU), and Mark Mothersbaugh (Thor: Ragnarok) have all worked at RCP at one time or another. Their scores are all different enough to let us know that Marvel and their directors are not looking for one particular sound.

9. Aximili86

Aximili86 Registered

Elfman & Mothersbaugh were already way established in their own right before they started hangin' with Hans & Pals, though. They didn't come up in the ranks learning from Zimmer and his approach to scoring, they're hardly proteges of the Zimmer sound.

Bates did, from what I understand, but he does feel like he's probably in that Powell mold of not being "that guy" in his personal audio interests. Like, his Guardians score's pretty clearly leaning more in that Silvestri/Doyle direction among the MCU than IM1/2/Cap sequels.

More than open to Toprak, just hoping she takes an approach more than side of things too. Something Guardians-esque would be fine. Just don't go all electronic "click-click-click-WRAAOORH-BZZT-BZZT-RAAAOOWRR" Zimmer-y, 90s movie scores weren't like that. Hell, Zimmer's 90s scores weren't like that, at least not comparable to what he's doing nowadays.

10. Elayis

Elayis Registered

Elfman, Motherbaugh and Bates may have used composers from RCP (like Toprak, who did some cues for Justice League), but they themselves never worked there or reported to Zimmer. It's just common practice now to use additional arrangers/composers on big films like these to get the necessary work done on time in a short period. So for those composers you mentioned, the job of the people from RCP is to mimic the specific sound of whoever they're working with, instead of aping Zimmer which is probably their usual modus operandi.

11. Aximili86

Aximili86 Registered

Yeah. RCP's kind of industrialized the whole thing, pretty clearly have a monopoly among the go-to types studios tend to hire. Which is why everything's sounding so same-y these days.

Elfman & Mothersbaugh have links to the company, but they're clearly not Zimmer students/acolytes.

12. abcfsk

abcfsk Registered

So is the song in the trailer a piece of the OST?

13. Aximili86

Aximili86 Registered

Doubt it. Most trailer music isn't. Toprak's probably nowhere near far enough along with the soundtrack yet for that, it'd just be one of those trailer-music-exclusive company's stuff probably.

14. abcfsk

abcfsk Registered

You may be right. I thought the piece ended up in a pretty impressive climax though, so wouldn't mind

15. Elayis

Elayis Registered

When Toprak's hiring was announced it was mentioned that recording had already started in May, but the music from the trailer is not part of the score. It's a piece called Luminous And Unstoppable by Aleksandar Dimitrijevic.

16. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

They’re probably just saving it for later

17. Webfoot Hero

The first trailer almost never uses any of the real score. They're likely still doing some revisions and mixing of whatever they recorded.

18. Elayis

Elayis Registered

It's very rare for any movie to use part of its original score in the trailer, much less comic book movies. And if it does happen, it's usually when a sequel uses a catchy theme from a previous film.

19. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Starship Captain

If you want some 90s overload something linke Armageddon would be fun.

20. liesse00

liesse00 The Winter Soldier

Any word on the soundtrack being released? I haven’t seen anything on Amazon, iTunes or Spotify.

21. Holy Slapper

Holy Slapper Registered

I believe it was playing on the background in this:

The Captain Marvel theme plays right at the beginning.

22. Webfoot Hero

Her theme reminds me a bit of Captain America's theme from CW.

23. MahvelBaby!

MahvelBaby! Registered

I was a big fan of Jackmans WS score, but his CW work was a step down for me.

I'm kind of digging what I hear though for CM

24. Aximili86

Aximili86 Registered

Pretty disappointing, how Jackman it's all sounding, or Tyler on a bad day, but whatever. Not gonna pre-judge it, and sure it'll be serviceable enough, get the job done.

The licensed songs are gonna lend a nice flavor to this even if the score's kinda shrug-worthy.

25. Webfoot Hero