Condition Judging

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics' started by WOLVERINE25TH, Dec 8, 2005.

1. WOLVERINE25TH

WOLVERINE25TH The Best There Is

Now, I know there's classifactions for the conditions of comics out there, but they're so vague it's hard to be totally sure if you're doing it right. Obviously poor and near mint are no brainers, it's just the rest that are questionable. Anybody know an easier or clearer source or way to judge the condition of a book?

2. Phaedrus45

Phaedrus45 Registered

I've always wanted to buy a single issue comic from Mile High that's pretty cheap, but get every grade that they come in to help me understand quality.

3. WOLVERINE25TH

See, but that creates another conflict...'cause I buy from Mile High an' Lonestar, an' th' conditions don't always match their mutual grading.

4. Elijya

Elijya Registered

comic grading is not an exact science, despite how much CGC likes to pretend it is. There's a loose set of criteria, and based on them, many different graders can come up with many different results, although gravitating around the same area, usually (hell, the same thing happens when you trade in a car).

the most detailed rundown you can find of the guidelines is in the introductory sections of the Official Overstreet Price Guide

5. WOLVERINE25TH

Anyplace where I DON'T have to spend $25 on a book for one piece of info?

6. Themanofbat

Themanofbat Never Mind the Buttocks...

You can buy a used copy of the "Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide" for over 11 bucks at amazon, but I know you're kinda cheap when it comes to shelling out the bucks...

:(

Fortunately for me, having worked at varying comic shops for almost 12 years, I've developped my own "grading" system which is fairly reflective of the current market grading system. Pretty much as Elijya stated.

Anyhoo, I think that might be you're cheapest route if you want to have a printed description on how to grade comics based on "professsionals".

Good luck, bub.

:)

7. The Joker™

The Joker™ Registered

8. DBM

DBM Mad Scientist

I use either the Overstreet rules or the ones off of Mile High, which are essentially the same.

Here's the Mile High Grading Standards

9. WOLVERINE25TH

Gracias, senior.

10. Themanofbat

Themanofbat Never Mind the Buttocks...

You should send 12 bucks to DBM... :D :D :D ;)

:)

11. WOLVERINE25TH

I should; that's a much clearer definition than I've found before. Shows ya how much I explore Mile High; just go in, get my comics, an' leave.

12. Elijya

Elijya Registered

not really worth it if, say, he wants to sell a run of New Warriors, now is it? especially if they're in less than NM+ condition

he'd get 75 comics graded, assuming even a ridiculously low rate of $10 a book, so he'd spend $750 to confirm the condition of the books he'd likely get $20 for

13. The Joker™

The Joker™ Registered

Yeah after I posted that I was going to edit it saying something like that, but I had to leave and forgot to do it.

The graded ones do for alot of money though on Ebay.

I saw a VG Hulk 181 go for 1,500:eek:, but it was a Wolvie first full.

My local comic shop sells them for 300 to 500.

You'll get more for a CGC one then a PGX just so you know.

For example I got a Daredevil 181 CGC 9.4 for $50 and I got a Uncanny X 226:confused:(whatever Gambit's first full was) PGX 9.2 for $20.

If I buy for Ebay I always get graded ones.

Heres another example, over the summer I was looking for a Daredevil 131 and I saw a CGC 9.4 going for 1,200 and it was the bidders that brought it up to that.

There going for 50 bucks on there not graded now.

14. WOLVERINE25TH

I'm not doin' th' whole CGC thing. I'm sellin' off a buncha duplicates of mine an' comics fer someone else on both individually on a website I'm launchin' soon (basically just a catalogue) as well as on Ebay in cheaper lots. I just need to make sure I'm judgin' th' conditions right so people get what they pay fer an' I don't inadvertantly rip them off.

15. Elijya

Elijya Registered

I really hope you're not talking to me, because I know all that......

16. The Joker™

The Joker™ Registered

No Wolverine or whoever wants to know...

17. WOLVERINE25TH

Alright, so now I'm usin' this condition info to put my comics on my insurance. Now, I have a new question; autographs. I don't mean th' DF ones, I mean legitimate ones I personally got. Where do I go to get an estimate on their value?

18. DBM

DBM Mad Scientist

There's really no good way to do it. The only way to get an estimate on those would be to either find someplace selling the same thing and seeing how much they were charging or to find an appraiser someplace who deals with comics.

19. WOLVERINE25TH

Unfortunately, most places're only selling the DF autographs so that ain't gonna help none. Why the hell do people go out fer autographs? Just a big hassle.

20. DBM

DBM Mad Scientist

I only get autographs of people whose work I like. I've never really considered resale value before.

21. WOLVERINE25TH

I don't either, but unfortunately gotta act like I care to get th' coverage I need. Of course, if those ones end up missin' on me all I can replace is th' issue itself.

22. Elijya

Elijya Registered

because autographs are so easily faked, generally, if they're not DF or otherwise verified, the price doesn't go up in the least. You can maybe ask $5 over the real price for any given issue, but that's about it

23. WOLVERINE25TH

Are you frikkin' kiddin' me? Then why do people get all excited over singings? An' I don't mean hero worship people, big fans, I mean th' guys who get them to try to make a buck?

Alright, $5 over value? Fine by me. Unless someone says otherwise 'fore I get to them s'what I'll do.

24. Elijya

Elijya Registered

like, I said, because they're so easily fakable, you can't assign TOO much value to them

and besides, if it's an older book it's seen as a flaw in the condition to some collectors

25. WOLVERINE25TH

Ah well, then I guess most of my Larry Hama Wolverines are flawed now. Oh wells.