How to Get Rid of Comic Books

Silver Foil Hologram Variant With A Tiny Head, Huge Pecs, Grimacing and Toting A Gun The Size Of A Volkswagen!!!! YeeeAAaAAHHhgH!!!

Don't forget the generic blond chick with the Double J's!! :-)huh: )

methinks Eric Larsen once said that comics, specially 90's comics are perfect toilet reading material, you just take them in there, and read the whole thing through while you're done, and they can serve another purpose if you happen to run out of TP

People might cringe, I never think about it, but when I was about to move to Seattle, I burned two whole bookshelves of 70's/80's comics in our fireplace.
There were so many that it took a long, long time.
Sometimes...I remember some, I wish I could read again.
It would cost thousands to re-buy them, but I didn't take care of them so they were un-sellable.
So many....good....ones....

:huh: why would you do that? You could have donated them instead. I know I don't have the entire details, but that's D for Dumb.

If you don't want to bother with selling them, and are on the verge of trashing them, maybe consider donating them to a nearby homeless shelter or boys & girls club.

Exactly. If you don't want to keep them then donate them. Libraries will also resell them to make money.

Or... you could place them strategically in waiting rooms around the city, spread your addiction. ;)

There were so many it took up serious space. I found no one who wanted them even for free and we had to get out of there in no time with a million things to do.

It would've been cool to just drop them off somewhere in the park or something and make some poor kids day, but I literally knew no one with a vehicle who had time to make 20 trips to some location, so I just sat there disposing of them late at night when everyone else was asleep or partying.

There were so many it took up serious space. I found no one who wanted them even for free and we had to get out of there in no time with a million things to do.

It would've been cool to just drop them off somewhere in the park or something and make some poor kids day, but I literally knew no one with a vehicle who had time to make 20 trips to some location, so I just sat there disposing of them late at night when everyone else was asleep or partying.

I see...tough choice. You could have kept a few or 20 right?

Were there tears? As they passed from your hand to the flame...:csad:

If you had just put them in boxes in front of your place with FREE COMICS on a sign placed in front of them, I'm SURE they would have disappeared pretty quickly.

(We had the wood from the frame of a BBQ in front of our place, gone the next day. A pile of wood taken from under our deck with very little "reusable" pieces, gone by the end of the week. In fact, the only thing no one ever took (except the Garbage man) was one of those horrible pictures of Elvis with the light overtop of it.

I see...tough choice. You could have kept a few or 20 right?
Oh no, TOtally.
I kept a lot.
Of freaking COURSE I've still got all the Kirby/Lee Fantastic Four books I bought that were $30-$50 and every Jack Kirby ANYthing I had.
Anything in good condition and (and this was the impossible part) any that had huge, huge, huge significance or that perfectly defined an era of my life.

I had to be brutal though. :csad:

Like, I kept Frank Miller's Ronin series, and the whole first Secret Wars, and John Byrne Fantastic Fours, and Keith Giffen Legion of Superheroes and Walt Simonson Thors and Wolfman/Perez Titans of COURSE!....the classic 80's stuff, but there was a lot of good stuff that just.....HAD to disappear somehow......sawkt!

No more thinking about it.:cmad:

Heh. You'd think Wil burned a box-full of hamsters and goldfish he didn't want.

"Why Wilhelm...why the...COMICS?!! :mad:"

If you had just put them in boxes in front of your place with FREE COMICS on a sign placed in front of them, I'm SURE they would have disappeared pretty quickly.

(We had the wood from the frame of a BBQ in front of our place, gone the next day. A pile of wood taken from under our deck with very little "reusable" pieces, gone by the end of the week. In fact, the only thing no one ever took (except the Garbage man) was one of those horrible pictures of Elvis with the light overtop of it.

That's what you'd think but if you were there you'd understand that it wasn't the case.

We lived in this giant party house, like a mansion, where a group of friends and I had lived, already accumulating tons of stuff for 4 or 5 years.

Trying to get it all out of the house and consolidate the essentials down into the size of a one huge U-Haul truck ('cause it was my bandmates that were all moving together, so it was several people's possessions at once) was one of the biggest tasks I've ever accomplished, I still think back almost six years later and think "How. the HELL. did we DO that? "

But the house was in this little tucked away area with nothing around but a few cranky Senior Citizen neighbors who complained about everything we did, AND we were friends with the landlord and promised him we wouldn't leave any kind of mess for him to have to deal with, you see....

Fair enough, but I would still have found a different solution, more because I'm against the burning of literature of any sort.

Held a party and asked all the guests to take a box away with them and put it somewhere...

Go over to the nearest local school and post a notice saying at this date and this time comics will be given away on a first come first serve basis, as much as you can carry.

ANYTHING except burning them.

Yes MEE I take the burning of anything seriously... except when it comes to an ex-boyfriends belongings, then HAVE AT IT GIRLS!!!

Fair enough, but I would still have found a different solution, more because I'm against the burning of literature of any sort.

Held a party and asked all the guests to take a box away with them and put it somewhere...

Go over to the nearest local school and post a notice saying at this date and this time comics will be given away on a first come first serve basis, as much as you can carry.

Yes MEE I take the burning of anything seriously... except when it comes to an ex-boyfriends belongings, then HAVE AT IT GIRLS!!!

And your bra's! Burn 'em, ladies! Whooooo! (I get to watch, kay?). :ninja:

jag

THERE WAS NO TIME!!!:cmad:

Held a PARTY?!?
Posted notices and had a give-away day?!?

THERE WAS NO TIME!!!

Stop judging me!:cmad:

What, your landlord came and said, "Sorry boys, you have to be out of the house by tomorrow morning"... :confused:

(There should always be enough time for a party ;))

Sell them at the flea market or ebay. Don't waste good comic books!

I'll buy them.

You should never,never throw them out.If you have any X-Men issues from then,i might be interested.Do you have any TPB`s?If so,PM me..i would be definately interested.Apprase them,do not just throw them out.

How do I appraise them? If it takes any kind of out-of-the way research, I'm not up for it. I get easily frustrated with that sort of thing, and it's imperative that I limit my stress these days as much as possible. There are just too many comics to look every issue up. I think I could bring myself to sort them and write up a list, but looking up every issue in some pricing guide and trying to figure out what official condition category each book is in is just too much.

I'm going to be moving sooner than I expected, so I may not get to sorting the comics for a few weeks when I'm settled into my new apartment. For now, most of the comics are still at my parents' house and will keep until then. I'll check in again and let everyone know which comics I've got.

I've decided I am going to ask for some amount of money if I'm going to go ahead and go through all of these comics, since I'm not completely against trashing them at this stage of my life (I'm well aware that it's not the "right" thing to do, but I'm abivalent as to whether or not I care). I'll discuss a reasonable, low price with all interested parties.

I'm not going to ship these things by mail, but I'm willing to drive a reasonable distance and deliver the comics if anyone wants to buy a significant amount, or have the buyer(s) come and pick them up at a location near my residence. I won't make the exchange directly at my place of residence or reveal the address, since any buyer from the Hype could be one of the many users that despise me, and I'll be living with innocent civilians.

:wolverine

You should donate your comics to a children's hospital or something more worthwhile than giving them away to someone or just throwing them away.

You might possibly encourage young kids to read again.

Just a thought...

:yay:

I thought about it. That would be noble. Unfortunately, I'm not feeling too much of a need to be noble these days, unless it's convenient. Preferably to giving them away, I'd like at least some money for these, since I wasted hundreds and hundreds over the years and have nothing but clutter to show for it. At least enough to get drunk (something I've only recently started doing) for one night.

If I sort these comics and no one buys them, I may go ahead and try to donate them, as long as I don't have to go through too much trouble to find a place that will take them. Again, research of that type and playing phone tag frustrates me, and I don't need any extra frustration in my life at this point.
I can still get something out of it by reading those old issues before donating them if no one buys them. If no one buys them and I can't easily find a place that will take them, then they go in a dumpster.

Throwing any form of literature out is a crime. Donate it, sell it, whatever, just don't waste perfectly good books.

In general, I agree. Then again, I'm a slightly different person that I was half a year ago, and a crime such as that isn't as anathema to me as it once was. We'll see how the options I have work out.

i'll roadtri[ up to wherever for free comics. i'll even bring a slice of pie. rubarb pie.

Mmm... pie.

No free comics, unfortunately, unless absolutely no one is willing to pay anything for them.

post which books you have and if anyone's interested, we'll pm you.

i dont live too far from md, so i'm curious to see what you have.

It's a deal. Like I said before, it may be a couple weeks before I have an inventory list.

No thanks. The 90's are why I stopped buying comics.
Even seeing the covers makes me convulse. :)

The '00's are what made me stop buying comics for the most part (across the board for Marvel, which is what I've always primarily read), although during the late 90's, things were definitely going downhill. I only began collecting comics during the 90's, so I really didn't know the difference. Only in the last few years have I read the original stories of the Marvel characters, and the comparison is very sad. They should have quit while they were ahead, but that wouldn't bring in the big bucks or help promote big budget film bastardizations.

You're not givin up on collecting comics though right?

For the most part, yes. I'd already sworn off all Marvel Comics a good while ago (except for the Essential Collections, which actually have good stories in them, and possibly TPBs from back in the day, if I find any good ones). When I get around to visiting the comics shop, I sometimes read the comics I refuse to buy, and I try to always buy at least one comic to justify my time spent there and using the merchendise. It's usually a Batman comic. DC Comics aren't off limits because I was never enough of a consistent buyer to be utterly disappointed and betrayed by them as I was by Marvel.

People might cringe, I never think about it, but when I was about to move to Seattle, I burned two whole bookshelves of 70's/80's comics in our fireplace.
There were so many that it took a long, long time.
Sometimes...I remember some, I wish I could read again.
It would cost thousands to re-buy them, but I didn't take care of them so they were un-sellable.
So many....good....ones....
:eek:You sick son of a *****! HOW COULD YOU?! I feel sick now. Not even Playing.

You should donate your comics to a children's hospital or something more worthwhile than giving them away to someone or just throwing them away.

You might possibly encourage young kids to read again.

Just a thought...

:yay:
That's a good idea, actually. I've been thinking that something like that should happen since all they have are stupid mags. At one point I wanted to be a teacher (highschool) and I was gonna somehow bring comics into my teaching.

How do I appraise them? If it takes any kind of out-of-the way research, I'm not up for it. I get easily frustrated with that sort of thing, and it's imperative that I limit my stress these days as much as possible. There are just too many comics to look every issue up. I think I could bring myself to sort them and write up a list, but looking up every issue in some pricing guide and trying to figure out what official condition category each book is in is just too much.

I'm going to be moving sooner than I expected, so I may not get to sorting the comics for a few weeks when I'm settled into my new apartment. For now, most of the comics are still at my parents' house and will keep until then. I'll check in again and let everyone know which comics I've got.

I've decided I am going to ask for some amount of money if I'm going to go ahead and go through all of these comics, since I'm not completely against trashing them at this stage of my life (I'm well aware that it's not the "right" thing to do, but I'm abivalent as to whether or not I care). I'll discuss a reasonable, low price with all interested parties.

I'm not going to ship these things by mail, but I'm willing to drive a reasonable distance and deliver the comics if anyone wants to buy a significant amount, or have the buyer(s) come and pick them up at a location near my residence. I won't make the exchange directly at my place of residence or reveal the address, since any buyer from the Hype could be one of the many users that despise me, and I'll be living with innocent civilians.

I live in Europe,but i do have a good friend in the USA.As for apprasing them,usually at a comic store there is a guide for comics and shows how valueable they are.A sort of guide or logbook,if you will.

Like i said,never ever just throw them away.If you do,you might be throwing away something that is valueable or something that might someday be of some value.

I live in Europe,but i do have a good friend in the USA.As for apprasing them,usually at a comic store there is a guide for comics and shows how valueable they are.A sort of guide or logbook,if you will.

That definitely sounds like too much fruitless work. Sorting my comics, putting them in order and making a comprehensive list of the hundreds of comics I've accumulated over the years is already a very optimistic estimation of what I'm up for in my current situation, much less looking up each individual comic and factoring in what condition each book is in. As far as I'm concerned, every comic is worth the same, and I doubt anyone would buy them from me for any more than 50 cents each.

Like i said,never ever just throw them away.If you do,you might be throwing away something that is valueable or something that might someday be of some value.

These are pretty much just from the 90's and 00's, and although most aren't really damaged, they're also not preserved in mint condition. I'm not in touch with the collector's appraisal system, so I can't say whether or not these could be worth something someday, but I'm sure as hell not hanging onto these until they become vintage enough to be worth real money in the condition they're in. I don't need that clutter, and neither do my parents. I'll probably read a whole lot of these after I get them sorted, but then I'm getting rid of them one way or another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"