Transformers Confirmed: Optimus Prime totally new design...more tidbits..

Just have to say that the info presented is so vague that it's not positive or negative. So I don't get it. No offense to Kaiser but he was rather overly dramatic about it.

Octoberist said:
Just have to say that the info presented is so vague that it's not positive or negative. So I don't get it. No offense to Kaiser but he was rather overly dramatic about it.

I guess so.

I also want to apologize for some of my more "agitated" responses here. I'm not usually like that.

Other things on my mind..again I'm sorry.

ragdus said:
way to misinterprit me. i'm saying the same people that go postal over godzilla probably did so over the character design for.... wait for it...................

BEAST WARS.

But B E A S T W A R S turned out pretty damn well.

Changing transformers is not like changing godzilla.
Except they're not making a Beast Wars movie (It'd bomb). They're going back to the original source. The source most well known by your general audience peeps.

xwolverine2 said:
ARE YOU SAYING THE JAPANESE GODZILLA LOOKED BETTER THAN THE CGI ONE?!!?!?:eek: :confused: :eek: :confused:

theres no question that we made godzilla better.... except for those ****ing purists!

Godzilla 98 looked a lot better than the Japanese Godzilla. Sure. But he neither acted nor had the capabilities of Godzilla. Godzilla 98 was a joke. The whole straight-from-jurassic-park scene in MSG was a joke. There should have been suffering and dread in the movie... and Godzilla as a hard-to-understand "why is he doing this" monster not a lame "protecting his babies" CLICHED story.

Godzilla is a perfect example to compare to Transformers... partly because of its cultural phenomenum (which is about a trillion times bigger than Transformers) and partly because of the many changes he has gone through.

Before I was into Transformers, Godzilla was my world. He was on TV every Sunday... and practically every day during long holidays like Thansgiving (here on Ch 11 in NYC at least).
Everybody ****ing knows Godzilla can (and will) nuke entire city blocks at will. He doesn't run away like a little girl when the military comes a calling. He blasts them all away.

I didn't care that he looked different.... in fact I thought he looked great (thanks to TOHO's stubborn insistance! "Put his spine plates back in you dumb Americans!"). But man, if he can't nuke he ain't Godzilla.

CFlash said:
... partly because of its cultural phenomenum (which is about a trillion times bigger than Transformers) and partly because of the many changes he has gone through.

Uhm...yeah...'cause I still see Godzilla cartoons on American TV...and isles of Godzilla toys...oh wait...no...

bluejake01 said:
Uhm...yeah...'cause I still see Godzilla cartoons on American TV...and isles of Godzilla toys...oh wait...no...

And, how old are you?

And, have you stopped to think that this might be a direct result of that movie--- that struck no chords with anybody.

kaisersoze said:
You've got to be kidding me.

If that's the case, I hope they make Optimus Prime a freaking street sweeper.

And Soundwave an IPOD for the win!

BWHAhAHAAZ@ IPOD

Yesterday there was a link to bumblebee's pic un SSH.com...but since then it was removed.....wierd....

Archangeldawn said:
BWHAhAHAAZ@ IPOD

Yesterday there was a link to bumblebee's pic un SSH.com...but since then it was removed.....wierd....

Possibly because Dreamworks realized that it might confuse MK fans... Bumblebee in robot mode looked like a near replica of Cyrax.

if you think 98 Godzilla was about protecting babies or running from the military then I'm afraid you missed the point entirely, which I find odd coming from someone who stresses the deeper underpinnings of transformers when arguing against the current film.

98 Godzilla had an aweful lot to do with addressing the long term reprecussions of man's large scale experiments, the effects they have as a result, and how we deal with those effects.

the 98 character wasn't a monster that just attacked at will, sure, but that wasn't the point. it had more depth. it was a monster we made, and it was just trying to exist in the world we created for it. and then, being the reactionary beings we are, we choose to slaughter it out of pure fear and pretend we did some great thing by killing it.

i'm surprised you missed that stuff... and at the reverence you have for godzillas rock 'em sock 'em m.o. while simultaneously thumbing your nose at any suggestion that transformers might ditch some depth for battle sequences.

ragdus said:
98 Godzilla had an aweful lot to do with addressing the long term reprecussions of man's large scale experiments, the effects they have as a result, and how we deal with those effects.

Um... simplistically put... but OK. Jurassic Park was about the same exact thing as you what you wrote (re-read your own words). Wanna try expanding on what what you're REALLY trying to say? As a Godzilla fan, I'll try...

Godzilla is about Earth's reaction to man. He represents calamity and disaster- hurricanes, tsunamis, acid rain, etc. He's not so much an indirect result of our "experiments" as he is a counter-balance to everything we do to our environment. He destroys at times. He also protects at times. He *represents* Earth. Not some stupid mutant.

Godzilla 98 (as 9/11 demonstrated) is a ******ED movie (especially in hindsight).... if an airplane can knock down a huge skyscraper, there's no reason why a whip of Godzilla's tail shouldn't. Watching that movie and living in the heart of Manhattan, that movie just makes me cringe at its ******edness. The Japanese understood this... we never did until 9/11. It was a ridiculous movie... just ridiculous. And it unwittingly demonstrates everything that's wrong with us (America) and our mentality.

When Godzilla knocks a hole through a building (in Earthquake proof Japan no less) it FALLS DOWN. Here in America, the building keeps on standing with a big hole through it because, well, we're AMERICA, damnit! It's ******ed.

Man, watch that movie again. It's plain dumb schlock.

I never said it was a good film. I said it had more depth than "Godzilla run. Gozilla protect babies!"

And you dislike that Godzilla didn't just pummel everything around when provoked, yet loathe the idea of transformers duking it out when they could be focusing on happy thoughts like saving our resources.

I'm just looking for consistency. It'd be a lot easier to understand you if I could see some clearler logic.

I don't want Transformers to be like Godzilla... or vice versa. I'm talking about faithfulness to the heart of the mythos. That is all.

Transformers was never about destroying cities and setting balance to the environment. It was about machines completely syphoning the environment for their purposes. I don't mind big fights and car chases and all that good stuff. That's all fun and exciting... but, the movie (for the sake of the sci-fi gods) should be about more than that. It should say something about us.

Well I guess that was part of my point. As much as you hate GINO, it certainly said a lot about us.

But I don't want to get into another repetitive argument with you, so I'll leave it there.

Peace!

CFlash said:
And, how old are you?

And, have you stopped to think that this might be a direct result of that movie--- that struck no chords with anybody.
I am in my 30's, I work in the film industry, and I can tell you right now, Godzilla and Transformers are about the same level culturally. Both have a cult following of die hard fans, but Transformers has FAR more mainstream appeal. It's easy to be blindsided by your love of Godzilla, and have it appear to you that Godzilla has a larger impact on pop culture, but it doesn't.

bluejake01 said:
I am in my 30's, I work in the film industry, and I can tell you right now, Godzilla and Transformers are about the same level culturally. Both have a cult following of die hard fans, but Transformers has FAR more mainstream appeal. It's easy to be blindsided by your love of Godzilla, and have it appear to you that Godzilla has a larger impact on pop culture, but it doesn't.

I didn't say larger. I said comparable in terms of iconic resonance... AND for sure more time-spanning. To GenX, Transformers had a bigger impact, for sure.... because it was *ours*, while Godzilla belonged to our parents (and, BTW so did Batman-- in terms of pop culture--- before Burton's movie came out).

My daughter (8yo) watches Godzilla movies (Sci Fi Channel shows em on Sundays). She couldn't care less about Transformers (and neither do any of her friends both boys and girls as far as I can see).

She also knows and loves Batman and Superman (mainly because of their appearances on Static Shock..... and of course because of Teen Titans- the best cartoon of all time ;-) ).

Transformers? Yah right.

CFlash said:
I didn't say larger.

Yes you did...
CFlash said:
(which is about a trillion times bigger than Transformers)

I am saying their impact on pop culture is about the same. I never said Transformers was bigger than Batman or Superman...so I don't get what you are trying to say.

She more than likely watches Godzilla because of your influence. The fact remains that if Transformers were waning in popularity, and Godzilla were some how vastly superior as you claim, then they would stop making Transformers toys and start filling the shelves with Godzilla dolls.

bluejake01 said:
Yes you did...

For *us*?... No, not larger.
For the 50 years of multiple generations? Yes, it's larger. Everyone has heard of Godzilla. Starscream, Bumblebee and friends? Not so much.

You're deluding yourself if you think Transformers has a bigger place in Pop Culture than Godzilla does.

bluejake01 said:
She more than likely watches Godzilla because of your influence.

No. I fall asleep through a lot of them. If that were the case she'd watch Star Trek with me too. And she despises TREK.

bluejake01 said:
then they would stop making Transformers toys and start filling the shelves with Godzilla dolls.

Every toy store I've gone to (in NYC) has at least one big Godzilla toy. It's like Radio Flyer in its ubiquity. And things might have gone better had Godzilla 98 not been so dreadful. The toy companies for sure were counting on the toys doing better.

The American Godzilla film is a good resemblance of our country today. It's a souless, lifeless creature.
The Japanese version had life to it...even with the fake rubber costume.

CFlash said:
You're deluding yourself if you think Transformers has a bigger place in Pop Culture than Godzilla does.

Re-read what I said...I said they were on the same level...and considering pop culture is ever changing and evolving, and one must take into account the success of Transfromers on the small screen in the last 10 years, and the sheer volume of toy sales over the last 23 years, then I think the statement is pretty accurate. It was a little silly of you to make such a lofty claim about Godzilla being, I beleive it was, a TRILLION times bigger than Transfromers. That's something you'd hear on a school playground.

but optimus prime is a new design as well.

Redesigning Optimus Prime is not necessarily a bad thing if it improves the character.

War Lord said:
Redesigning Optimus Prime is not necessarily a bad thing if it improves the character.

I agree. The Gen 1 toy is bollocks. The redesigned 20th Aniversary edition is awesome. If a redesign makes the character more alive, and sleek, while remaining Optimus, then I am happy.

As long as the head looks mostly the same, the voice is deep and full of emotion and he acts the same...I won't complain.

bluejake01 said:
Re-read what I said...I said they were on the same level...and considering pop culture is ever changing and evolving,

You, my friend, don't know what Pop Culture means. It's not about what's *hot right now.* Pop Culture is about what is transmitted to *subsequent generations.* Transformers has barely survived... "Cult" would be a better classification. And it totally has not earned the place Godzilla has.

Power Rangers was bigger and longer lasting than TF. Hell, Pokeman is still going strong today. My daughter plays it (I HATE POKEMAN).

transformers is a lot more popular than you think. just because the 8 yr olds you know don't like it does not change that fact. I personally know a slew of 8 yr olds that are completely enthralled with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"