Connecting a Laptop to a tv

WallCrawl

Avenger
Reaction score
I think I need a little help here. I wanted to connect my Toshiba Laptop to my TV, so I bought an S-video cable and hooked both up to eachother. I was able to get the desktop to appear on the television screen, but when I play videos there's no sound.

I figure I have to hook up the audio through RCA cables, but my laptop doesn't appear to have an RCA audio out. So what do I do? Is it as simple as buying an s-video to RCA adaptor for the end of the S-video cable I bought that's supposed to hook up to the TV? :confused:

I had the same issue and solved it by running video out of the S-Video out, and then getting a y-adapter with RCA cables on one end and a 1/4" mini-audio jack that fit the headphones port on my laptop.

jag

jaguarr said:
I had the same issue and solved it by running video out of the S-Video out, and then getting a y-adapter with RCA cables on one end and a 1/4" mini-audio jack that fit the headphones port on my laptop.

jag

Sounds good to me. I don't know if the method you described is the optimum solution, but if everything sounds fine and decent that'll be good enough for me. Much obliged.

For curiosity's sake, what would others do in this scenario?

WallCrawl said:
For curiosity's sake, what would others do in this scenario?

The same thing I'm telling you to do. :) S-Video out is not a composite solution that carries an audio signal in addition to the video signal. You have to find a seperate method for porting the audio signal out.

jag

jaguarr said:
The same thing I'm telling you to do. :) S-Video out is not a composite solution that carries an audio signal in addition to the video signal. You have to find a seperate method for porting the audio signal out.

jag

Hehe, did you just wiki S-video cable? :p

I was just wondering if maybe my Toshiba laptop did have an audio out other than the headphone jack that I mad missed, and someone could've pointed it out if so.

WallCrawl said:
Hehe, did you just wiki S-video cable? :p

No. I'm a geek and I already knew what I told you. :o

I was just wondering if maybe my Toshiba laptop did have an audio out other than the headphone jack that I mad missed, and someone could've pointed it out if so.

What model Toshiba do you have? No way to know without looking at the specs.

jag

jaguarr said:
What model Toshiba do you have? No way to know without looking at the specs.

jag

No idea, I'll have to check when I get home.

This is so weird, I just bought a bunch of the cables you need over the weekend. They were like, $4 at Wal-Mart. I hated to enter Wal-Mart, but we all have to make sacrifices. I burnt my shoes when I got home if it's any consolation... but I digress.

The easiest way to explain the audio for you is as jag said. S-Video is only a 'video' signal. Just like you have outputs for your video feed (namely your monitor) on a standard PC, you also have outputs for your audio (on a PC, it'd be where you plug your speakers).

Usually, the speaker port or even the headphone jack on your laptop would be what appears as a simple headphone jack outlet. Very standard, very common. Go to Best Buy/Wal-Mart/wherever, and get a y-adapter that looks like a plug to go into your headphone jack on one end, and on the other end it leads to red and white audio cables that are the same as any composite audio cables.

Those plug into your TV (I'm assuming you'll have space for this, since you have an inlet for your s-video plug). 4 bucks and 12 seconds later, voila! Sound on the TV.

I just did this because I'm redoing my office, so now my plasma is my moniter, and my surround sound my new PC speakers; and I have a wireless keyboard/mouse for my laptop that makes my lap the new desk if need be. Pretty f'ing sweet.

Looks something like this:

0069059050671_215X215.jpg

sans the yellow video feed, and the extra thing

RCA cables are only $4 now? Sweetness. Much thanks to both Jag and Kipobe for all the help. :up:

Like I said, I got it at Wal-Mart... and it's a y-adapter, so despite the fact that I think it should've been more, it was actually less.

Biggest drawback is that it's only 6' long... so depending on how far you wanted to take your laptop, it wouldn't really work out.

Kipobe said:
Like I said, I got it at Wal-Mart... and it's a y-adapter, so despite the fact that I think it should've been more, it was actually less.

Biggest drawback is that it's only 6' long... so depending on how far you wanted to take your laptop, it wouldn't really work out.

The length thing shouldn't really be a problem. Although it would be nice to be able to kick back on the couch with the laptop, I don't feel like buying extension cables for both the S-video and Audio hookups (if they even exist). If it proves to be annoying, I'll look into it later.

I also have a second, much older TV that won't have an S-Video connection. To hook the laptop up to that tv, is there such a thing as an S-Video to RCA adaptor cable?

Yeah, or there's various other ways around it... but by that point, the quality will be so poor it won't even really matter. I suppose you could do it if you really wanted, but I wouldn't bother.

To be honest, I don't even care for the s-video connection... it's likened to 'vcr' quality. It's okay for videos and the like, but everyday computer usage doesn't really give you good visuals as a regular tube TV isn't the recommended output device for a computer. Anything less than s-video for even just occasional video watching would probably be not worth it.

WallCrawl said:
... is there such a thing as an S-Video to RCA adaptor cable?

Yep, there is. Hit a Radio Shack. They should be able to hook you up. :up:

jag

Might not even have to bother... you could possibly hook it up through an input like a VCR (depending on age), and then the VCR's output would also carry the s-video signal... or if you have a composite selector, then you input the s-video there, and it'll come out however you may on your TV via the same method as your VCR.

Only thing is, in those instances you'd need to keep the device on with which you channel through.

Kipobe said:
Might not even have to bother... you could possibly hook it up through an input like a VCR (depending on age), and then the VCR's output would also carry the s-video signal... or if you have a composite selector, then you input the s-video there, and it'll come out however you may on your TV via the same method as your VCR.

Only thing is, in those instances you'd need to keep the device on with which you channel through.

Only if his VCR has an S-Video input.

jag

'szhy I said 'depending on age'. I win, at life. :o

Kipobe said:
'szhy I said 'depending on age'. I win, at life. :o

You aren't specific enough to win, at life. :o

jag

Wait, is WallCrall the same Wallcrawler04(?) with the mouse avatar from a few years ago? I hope so. Because I'd hate to think I was helping someone I potentially might not have liked.

Kipobe said:
Yeah, or there's various other ways around it... but by that point, the quality will be so poor it won't even really matter. I suppose you could do it if you really wanted, but I wouldn't bother.

To be honest, I don't even care for the s-video connection... it's likened to 'vcr' quality. It's okay for videos and the like, but everyday computer usage doesn't really give you good visuals as a regular tube TV isn't the recommended output device for a computer. Anything less than s-video for even just occasional video watching would probably be not worth it.

The hookup is mostly for watching videos and the like. I download a lot of anime and television shows, and am getting tired of just courching in front my my desktop PC and laptop. Plus, getting people together to watch something I downloaded is a plus. Hooking up the laptop to the tv is a lot quicker than having to convert and burn everything to DVD.

I guess a better solution would be to buy a DVD player that can play DivX videos and the like, but a bunch of cables is a little easier on the wallet, especially if the video and audio quality won't suffer too much. Plus, I'm not sure if those DivX DVD players would play all anime episodes I download, what with all the crazy codecs fansubbers use. I guess I'll get that S-video to RCA adaptor cable.

Thanks once again to you two. And keep up the pissing contest, it provides me with 'teh knowledge.' :D

Kipobe said:
Wait, is WallCrall the same Wallcrawler04(?) with the mouse avatar from a few years ago? I hope so. Because I'd hate to think I was helping someone I potentially might not have liked.

Nope, not I. I've always had this name, I joined when SHH was still Spider-Man hype. Had I known the site was going to change so quickly afterward, I would've chosen a more original name. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"