The Avengers Continuity of the Movies Leading Up to The Avengers

Tvar10

Who the hell is Bucky?
Reaction score
I feel like the movies leading up to the Avengers really throw off the continuity. My main problem was that Captain AMerica happened in the 40's and in the previous movies there have been no references that he existed. I remember in The Incredible Hulk they briefly mentioned about super soldier serum trials. And in Iron Man 2 they show the shield and Stark had new clue what it was (especially since Stark's father was responsible for his creation). If Captain America was supposed to be the greatest superhero of his time how come none of the other heroes knew who he was and why was he only briefly mentioned in the previous films. I figured Tony Stark would at least know who he was.

Also the beginning of Captain America Red Skull was looking for the cube and he end up finding it in Odin's "tomb" If Odin was essentially believed to be dead in 1942 doesnt that mean the events of Thor would have taken place at an earlier time? And if that was the case wouldnt the events of Iron Man 2 taken place around the same time as Thor?

The continuity and the tie ins of these movies really confuse the heck out of me.

Sorry if this has been posted before I'm just really confused :doh:

Well, Fury says he's been asleep for 70 years so I doubt many people are still alive that remember Cap by the time he awakens. Plus, there's really nothing that happens in both IM movies or TIH that makes them have to specifially mention Cap by name. And in that shield scene in IM2, there really wasn't any evidence that he didn't know what or who the shield belonged to, so I'll give that scene the benefit of the doubt.

I wasn't aware Odin was dead in 1942 so I'll let somebody else answer that and yes, IM2 happens around the same time as Thor if you're going by when Agent Coulson finds Mjolnir

Oh man. Where to start?
Cap was a legendary war hero, but because his body was never found he just became an old war story, especially since all of his missions were kept secret. The government and military know of his existence, but he vanished, therefore he was no longer relevant.

Odin is not of earth, he was believed to be a God that simply didnt exist, just norse mythology. Like how they didn't believe Thor existed but was just a crazy dude claiming to be the son of Odin. Odin is thousands of years old and resides in Asgard, he isn't, nor was ever dead, the tomb is more like a hiding place possessing one of Odin's many powerful artifacts hidden on earth.

Last edited:
My main problem was that Captain AMerica happened in the 40's and in the previous movies there have been no references that he existed.

Absolutely no references to Cap, except for the references to Cap that you mention in your very next sentence.:oldrazz:

And in Iron Man 2 they show the shield and Stark had new clue what it was (especially since Stark's father was responsible for his creation). If Captain America was supposed to be the greatest superhero of his time how come none of the other heroes knew who he was and why was he only briefly mentioned in the previous films. I figured Tony Stark would at least know who he was.

Stark may or may not have known who the shield belonged to, it's unclear. I think the general publics awareness of Cap may be mostly confined to the old propaganda film and stories (Caps actual missions being top secret) and of course that would have been mostly forgotten over the course of 70 odd years, perhaps war veterans tell their grandkids stories, etc.

If his father had told him of Cap at all then it's reasonable Tony thinks it's just bedtime fairytale stuff, so he doesn't really care what the shield is.

Coulson, however, with his involvement in a covert gorernmant organisation seems to know exactly what the shield is.

Also the beginning of Captain America Red Skull was looking for the cube and he end up finding it in Odin's "tomb" If Odin was essentially believed to be dead in 1942...

I don't remember the details of that scene. Did the old man think it really was Odin's actual burial place? Or just a tomb/vault built by Odin to hide one of his treasures?
Either way it doesn't matter. Believing something to be true doesn't make it true. Odin wasn't dead.

I don't remember the details of that scene. Did the old man think it really was Odin's actual burial place? Or just a tomb/vault built by Odin to hide one of his treasures?
Either way it doesn't matter. Believing something to be true doesn't make it true. Odin wasn't dead.

The old man had a tomb filled with a dead guy holding Odin's sword and what is believed to be cosmic cube

And just because something existed 70 years ago doesnt mean no one knows about it. Look at the Titanic....

Captain Americas missions were top secret. people know of cap, but they do not know what he did, therefore he became an old war story, remember the kids reading the captain America comics in the end?and the Titanic was found. As far as the public knew, cap was just a propaganda tool.

In regards to the Shield, that wasn't Cap's actual shield, as we saw it was with Cap in the ice. Maybe it was just a replica Tony was working on or bought and disassembled. It was in the first movie to, perhaps a project that got thrown to the wayside when he started working on the Iron Man armor.

If Tony didn't know about Cap(I'm pretty sure he did) well he knew about him after Fury gave him the box of his dad's old stuff. Remember in it had old Cap comic books, newspaper clippings and the notebook which Tony was entering into his "Stark iPad" which had whatever info Howard could get on the Cosmic Cube.

In regards to the Shield, that wasn't Cap's actual shield, as we saw it was with Cap in the ice. Maybe it was just a replica Tony was working on or bought and disassembled. It was in the first movie to, perhaps a project that got thrown to the wayside when he started working on the Iron Man armor.

The shield coulson had, came from Howard starks box, it more than likely a prototype to a improvement upon caps shield, If I remember right, it had wires and what not.

For the IM2 question, you gotta understand that Stark is very, very, very cocky and egotistical. He wanted to just work on his project in the film and he didn't care about an old war hero.

Plus, he probably had no idea what that shield was(a prototype shield for Cap) as he didn't even remember the Cosmic Cube drawing. If Tony had known about Cap, the shield, he would have known about the Cube and didn't. Does it throw off continuity? Nope, just keeps true to the kind of person Tony Stark is.

The way I see it, Captain America was a celebrated war hero in his day but, like Sgt. Alvin York and Audie Murphy, his fame has largely faded with time. Seventy years is a long time. Many people today don't know much about the overall history of World War II, much less details about the men who fought its battles. Cap would be remembered by some, but most would have only a passing acquaintance with his wartime exploits.

As far as references to Cap's history, the other movies had several. First and foremost, the Super Soldier formula was a main focus in The Incredible Hulk. Ross had Banner and Betty doing secret research in an attempt to restart the program. He also had some of the serum to give to Blonsky, though how it survived after the events of Captain America is an open question.

We see them taking Cap's blood after the transformation. So maybe they did some tinkering with Cap's blood to make it at least similar to the main serum and that's why it still had a blue color to it.

We see them taking Cap's blood after the transformation. So maybe they did some tinkering with Cap's blood to make it at least similar to the main serum and that's why it still had a blue color to it.

Great point. Peggy said that the military's scientists would take Cap's blood and analyze it to try to recreate the serum, but that it would take years. Perhaps what they came up with was similar to the version of the serum Schmidt injected, which would explain Blonsky's insanity and monstrous mutation.

Well both Blonsky and Schmidt didn't use Vita-Rays or take any penicillin, so maybe those two things play a big role in perfecting the super soldier serum. Honestly, I think Blonsky would've turned into another Red Skull-type being if he didn't take more than one dose of the serum and instead, his bones were moving and what not and they finally broke out of his skin once he used gamma radiation as well as some of Banner's blood.

The shield coulson had, came from Howard starks box, it more than likely a prototype to a improvement upon caps shield, If I remember right, it had wires and what not.

The shield was in part one on Tonys work table.

For the IM2 question, you gotta understand that Stark is very, very, very cocky and egotistical. He wanted to just work on his project in the film and he didn't care about an old war hero.

Plus, he probably had no idea what that shield was(a prototype shield for Cap) as he didn't even remember the Cosmic Cube drawing. If Tony had known about Cap, the shield, he would have known about the Cube and didn't. Does it throw off continuity? Nope, just keeps true to the kind of person Tony Stark is.

Its never known if he had any knowledge of the Cosmic Cube, he probably didn't know or even cared all he was doing was copying the information on his pad thingy.

As far as the shield, he had to have known what it was, otherwise he would've never had placed it in his dads box with the rest of the Cap memorabilia.

But yeah he's cocky and arrogant, which is the reason he placed the shield under the particle accelerator in front of Coulson after he looked surprised to see the sheild.

The gamma radiation caused blonskys mutation to excel, so I guess the vita rays caused Schmidt's mutation.

Huh? He didn't put the shield in his dad's box...it was already there.

Yes, but I doubt that was same one that came out of his fathers trunk, if you remember Nick fury gave stark the trunk.

Feige or Favreau said it was, one of them said they expanded on the shield that was on the table.

So after Tony saw all the Cap stuff he must've put the shield there with it.

Remember when Tony dumps all the stuff on the floor when he first gets the box there's no shield.

No, of course it didn't. The doses of the serum to Blonsky did do numbers inside him as well as giving him speed, strength and agility and what only caused the full mutation was the gamma radiation and Banner's blood.

Plus, the shield we saw in the first IM shouldn't be brought up to this because what was found in Howard's stash. The shield we saw in IM could definitely be a plot hole, or just a tiny easter egg because we have nothing from that to show us that Tony knew about the shield.

sadly, people now a days don't go around making reference to, war heroes, from 70 years old, in everyday conversation....

as some have mention, most of his mission were done in secret… to the public, he was a character of shorts films, comics, an from advertisements for war bonds...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"