Cosplayer called 'racist' for dressing as black character

It just seems to me that some have this 1917 notion that anyone who is white and puts on make-up to appear black is inherently doing something racist on par with Al Jolson.This is 2014 and the only white people making themselves up to look black are doing it because they are fans of a character/actor (I.E. Cosplay).From what I see,it's meant to be flattering and not caricaturing them.Making one's self up to look like an existing character of another race is not automatically an act of malice.Just my two cents.

It just seems to me that some have this 1917 notion that anyone who is white and puts on make-up to appear black is inherently doing something racist on par with Al Jolson.This is 2014 and the only white people making themselves up to look black are doing it because they are fans of a character/actor (I.E. Cosplay).From what I see,it's meant to be flattering and not caricaturing them.Making one's self up to look like an existing character of another race is not automatically an act of malice.Just my two cents.

That's a false equivalency.

Not wanting "low-income" housing in your neighborhood is ignorant but it's not burning crosses in people's front yard either yet both deal with race.

No one is saying anyone can't dress as their favorite character. But taking it as far as imitation of race(slanting eyes or dark skin) is offensive, but not racist.
She would still read as Michonne without the skin tone change. A black person doesn't need to wear whiteface to imitate Superman.

People can be offended all they want. What matters is whether the person is doing something that's actually racist.

That's a false equivalency.

Not wanting "low-income" housing in your neighborhood is ignorant but it's not burning crosses in people's front yard either yet both deal with race.

No one is saying anyone can't dress as their favorite character. But taking it as far as imitation of race(slanting eyes or dark skin) is offensive, but not racist.
She would still read as Michonne without the skin tone change. A black person doesn't need to wear whiteface to imitate Superman.

But if they did,it wouldn't be any more disrespectful than what this woman did.It's just a simple cosplay.People are not putting on make-up to represent a character/actor to be disrespectful.It's really that simple.

As an actor, I can't believe this is even being debated.

Generalizing is fun, isn't it?
You think they're generalizing? It's a study project. They are supposed to compile data.

Just so we're clear, where are people drawing the line on "yes, that blackface is offensive!" and "naw, that blackface is just for lulz"? Is it when the person in blackface is from another country like these guys:
article-2665775-1F006B9000000578-491_634x411.jpg

Does it matter if it's for Halloween or other costume occasions?

20110203__04dcabfaw_500.jpg

Is it if they say their "intent was not to be racist"? Should we give everybody a pass that says that?
timthumb.php

Should we just keep saying every single time it happens again and again that "those people didn't know?" Is there any responsibility on the part of the person doing blackface to not be ignorant of the history? Does it hurt minorities any less if we just point out, "the real blackface was from the past and this stuff isn't offensive anymore?" Is there a chance that if we don't send a strong message that it's distasteful that people will still try to pull it off and say 1)they didn't know 2)they're not racist so it doesn't apply to them 3)they never had slaves 3)people are oversensitive 4)it's just for fun 5)there's bigger things in the world to worry about?

So yeah, please just give one solid definition of where we draw the line, so people can be more "understanding."

You think they're generalizing? It's a study project. They are supposed to compile data.

Just so we're clear, where are people drawing the line on "yes, that blackface is offensive!" and "naw, that blackface is just for lulz"? Is it when the person in blackface is from another country like these guys:

Does it matter if it's for Halloween or other costume occasions?

20110203__04dcabfaw_500.jpg

Is it if they say their "intent was not to be racist"? Should we give everybody a pass that says that?
timthumb.php

Should we just keep saying every single time it happens again and again that "those people didn't know?" Is there any responsibility on the part of the person doing blackface to not be ignorant of the history? Does it hurt minorities any less if we just point out, "the real blackface was from the past and this stuff isn't offensive anymore?" Is there a chance that if we don't send a strong message that it's distasteful that people will still try to pull it off and say 1)they didn't know 2)they're not racist so it doesn't apply to them 3)they never had slaves 3)people are oversensitive 4)it's just for fun 5)there's bigger things in the world to worry about?

So yeah, please just give one solid definition of where we draw the line, so people can be more "understanding."
Not one of those picture examples is even remotely close to this what this girl did. But thanks for playing.

This kind of confirms the earlier conversation about white people processing experiences differently than minorities:
PBS - The Whiteness Project
http://whitenessproject.org/

I'll never understand the idea of "race" (whatever that means) pride and the idea that mere skin tone gives one a sense of kinship with others of similar appearance.

And 75% of Americans have social networks that are all white? How is it even possible to be that isolated?

...So yeah, please just give one solid definition of where we draw the line, so people can be more "understanding."

I think the line is that people are pointing out that there is a certain thing that IS blackface.

This (the girl in question) is not it.

Google it. There's a clear difference. For one thing, blackface is often actually "black", not shades of brown.

Blackface, in the context of an offensive practice, is a particular approach to making up one's features so as to highlight physical stereotypical racial attributes in a mocking and derogatory manner.

Makeup used to look like a character is another thing entirely.

It's not rocket science.

Context matters.

Sheesh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"