Cosplayer called 'racist' for dressing as black character

I'm not a very apologetic person in general, and I definitely wouldn't be feeling apologetic after getting bashed all over the internet.

It's so easy for those asking her to apologise for unintentionally offending people when they have not been on the receiving end of some vicious hate. No doubt some will not be happy until the girl does away with herself like those bullies who have caused so much damage to families around the world with their children committing suicide.

How about the people who posted hateful comments apologies and those who wrongly accuse her of racism? It's all very well taking the high road when your not the one being asked to take it.

No doubt the people who posted the hateful comments are equally as young and inexperienced.

I don't feel like going into the whole "if you post your pictures on the internet" spiel... but that's exactly what she did... she opened herself up to criticism. She didn't think that she would offend anybody, she might be ignorant of the potential outcry to her poor choice of makeup (widening her nose? really?) and then she reacts like "**** you, more attention for me"... I don't have any sympathy.

It's so easy for those asking her to apologise for unintentionally offending people when they have not been on the receiving end of some vicious hate. No doubt some will not be happy until the girl does away with herself like those bullies who have caused so much damage to families around the world with their children committing suicide.

Are you kidding me with this?

The idea that this girl is getting bullied is beyond ridiculous.

Stretch much? She's hardly a 10-14 year old kid and as I've said before, making your pictures publicly available to the internet to criticize, expect some criticism.

The idea that this girl is getting bullied is beyond ridiculous.

The idea that you feel she is not getting bullied by hateful comments is quite ridiculous. And you expect her to know better. Pot and kettle comes to mind.

Stretch much? She's hardly a 10-14 year old kid and as I've said before, making your pictures publicly available to the internet to criticize, expect some criticism.

Especially when said pictures can most certainly be taken as offensive by large groups of people...

Ah yes so 18 years of age is okay to bully.:whatever: There is criticism and there is hateful bullying. Seems like your okay with hateful bullying.

Especially when said pictures can most certainly be taken as offensive by large groups of people...
Anything put on the internet is subject to criticism. That's why I think her unapologetic reaction is totally appropriate.

She could have not used any makeup at all for her costume and there would still be plenty of people sending her hateful messages. Unfortunately that's pretty much how the internet works.

That's why you should just do what makes you happy and screw what everyone else thinks, because you are never going to please everyone.

Ah yes so 18 years of age is okay to bully.:whatever: There is criticism and there is hateful bullying. Seems like your okay with hateful bullying.

Here's a cop out answer. It's the internet. I'm not approving bullying or being mean, but it's the internet. It's status quo. You are accountable for what you make available.

Here's a cop out answer. It's the internet. I'm not approving bullying or being mean, but it's the internet. It's status quo. You are accountable for what you make available.

Would it not be better to educate than post hateful stuff? Cyber bullying is a crime .

I'm sure you were privy to what hateful bullying you're talking about... care to share? Or perhaps you're just assuming. Likely that she received a lot of hateful messages from people she offended... and if there was "hateful bullying"... it was due to them being offended. By the way, are you projecting? You really seem to be riding this bullying theory pretty hard. Just asking.

Anything put on the internet is subject to criticism. That's why I think her unapologetic reaction is totally appropriate.

She could have not used any makeup at all for her costume and there would still be plenty of people sending her hateful messages. Unfortunately that's pretty much how the internet works.

That's why you should just do what makes you happy and screw what everyone else thinks, because you are never going to please everyone.

Yes, screw everyone.

Let's say a young man from a foreign country loves rap music... rap music that uses a lot of profanity and words that aren't normally socially acceptable like the N word. Let's say that young man decides to post a rap video and uses the N word... a lot... it might offend some people but screw those people... it makes him happy.

Actions have consequences, people not thinking about their actions before they act are people who are surprised when those actions generate those consequences.

I've had experience with cyber bullying as a cousin committed suicide as a result. I ****ing hate bullies.

My condolences for your loss... and I truly hope that doesn't happen here... but as I've said before, she posted pictures that anybody in the world with access to an internet connection could see, she should expect both forms of criticism.

Should expect and should take are two differnt things.

I don't know what point you are trying to make here.

The point I'm making is why should she apologies to these hateful people? And why should she stand for any form of cyber bullying?

Yes, screw everyone.

Let's say a young man from a foreign country loves rap music... rap music that uses a lot of profanity and words that aren't normally socially acceptable like the N word. Let's say that young man decides to post a rap video and uses the N word... a lot... it might offend some people but screw those people... it makes him happy.

Actions have consequences, people not thinking about their actions before they act are people who are surprised when those actions generate those consequences.

Don't you think it would be a great idea for the artists not to put that word in their music to begin with since people are offended by it?

The point I'm making is why should she apologies to these hateful people? And why should she stand for any form of cyber bullying?

To diffuse the potential explosion of even more hate/bullying. How do you get a bully to stop bullying you, you ignore the bully and the bully eventually stops.

You diffuse the situation.

She took the pictures down, which either meant she was tired of getting hateful replies from people who were most likely offended, she realized she made a mistake or a combination of both. Had she followed that up with something like "I didn't mean to offend anybody but if I did, I apologize"... I'm sure the backlash wouldn't be nearly as severe as "I'm not a racist but thanks for giving me more attention".

Don't you think it would be a great idea for the artists not to put that word in their music to begin with since people are offended by it?

Perhaps I do, perhaps I don't care... but that doesn't apply to this scenario so this point is really moot.

I'm sure you were privy to what hateful bullying you're talking about... care to share? Or perhaps you're just assuming. Likely that she received a lot of hateful messages from people she offended... and if there was "hateful bullying"... it was due to them being offended. By the way, are you projecting? You really seem to be riding this bullying theory pretty hard. Just asking.

Yes, screw everyone.
Yes, screw random anonymous people on the internet. Absolutely.

Ultimately yes, he should if that's what he wants to do, but there are other factors to consider with your example.

Even if he didn't drop N bombs in his music, people would still criticize him and send him hate messages for whatever reasons. Are the people offended by him dropping the N bomb also offended when the rappers he likes and emulates do it? His heroes do it, why can't he?

Again, there are always going to be people hating you for things you put on the internet, no matter what it is.

Yes, screw random anonymous people on the internet. Absolutely.

Ultimately yes, he should if that's what he wants to do, but there are other factors to consider with your example.

Even if he didn't drop N bombs in his music, people would still criticize him and send him hate messages for whatever reasons. Are the people offended by him dropping the N bomb also offended when the rappers he likes and emulates do it? His heroes do it, why can't he?

Again, there are always going to be people hating you for things you put on the internet, no matter what it is.

Hate message for doing something that wouldn't normally be considered offensive is considered bullying/trolling. Hate messages for doing something that could potentially offend someone, especially pertaining to race, beliefs or culture, is called backlash and is the consequence of those actions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"