Could the Biblical Epic be returning?

David vs Goliath.
David wasn't a short guy, he was a warrior in the veins of Hector from the film Troy. Goliath wasn't just a tall man, he was, in fact, a giant.
That's how I see the story.
The bible mentions giants briefly in the beginning of the book, and I'm sure David vs Goliath explore the Giant matter more deeply

Giants are, in fact, supposed to be the offspring of the Nefillim(fallen angels) and human women.

With this in mind, The Book of Enoch would be an amazing film.

Wow, I had just heard that story about the fallen angels and women. Would be interesting to see that on the big screen play out.

Also, probably wouldn't do well in today's world and would garner lots of hate (GLAAD),

But I would love to see a movie about the story of Sodom and Gomorrah.

I know Prince of Egypt did it pretty well via the CG animation for its day, but I want to see the parting of the Red Sea done in a live action setting with today's vfx. Show them walking through and seeing all the sea life and stuff in a wall of water on both sides of the corridor.

Wow, I had just heard that story about the fallen angels and women. Would be interesting to see that on the big screen play out.

Also, probably wouldn't do well in today's world and would garner lots of hate (GLAAD),

But I would love to see a movie about the story of Sodom and Gomorrah.

If they ever touched on Sodom and Gomorrah, Lot and Abraham on film I'm sure they would use one of the many current mental flip-flops to make that story NOT about what it is obviously about.

*EDIT* Also, I was wrong. It wasn't the Nephilim that married human women.. it was the Watchers, who are fallen angels that left Heaven after being attracted to human women. The Nephilim were their offspring.

*EDIT* Also, I was wrong. It wasn't the Nephilim that married human women.. it was the Watchers, who are fallen angels that left Heaven after being attracted to human women. The Nephilim were their offspring.
Sound a little like the olympians and the demigods from greek mythology :)

I think all beliefs come from the same source, as also the greek stories involve giants.

I agree with you on a Sodom and Gomorrah adaption. But should it be mainly about those cities, or have Abraham as the main character?

I remember watching The Scorpion King years ago, and I think they place he took over was Gomorrah, or included Gomorrah, and I remember thinking "We all know where this is going, Rock."

Sound a little like the olympians and the demigods from greek mythology :)

I think all beliefs come from the same source, as also the greek stories involve giants.

I agree with you on a Sodom and Gomorrah adaption. But should it be mainly about those cities, or have Abraham as the main character?

Abraham. I'm also of the opinion that any such film shouldn't be made in such a way that sort of "takes sides" with Judaism, Christianity or Islam but be done in such a way as to attempt to bridge the gaps.

I'm waiting to read the rest of Aronofsky's Noah graphic novel ti get a sense of whether or not his movie will do that. As I recall the Biblical version of the tale versus the Quranic version the only thing that Muslims have a problem with is Noah getting drunk and cursing Ham because he saw him(Noah) naked in his drunkenness. Muslims would never attribute such a character fault to the Prophets.

Abraham. I'm also of the opinion that any such film shouldn't be made in such a way that sort of "takes sides" with Judaism, Christianity or Islam but be done in such a way as to attempt to bridge the gaps.

I'm waiting to read the rest of Aronofsky's Noah graphic novel ti get a sense of whether or not his movie will do that. As I recall the Biblical version of the tale versus the Quranic version the only thing that Muslims have a problem with is Noah getting drunk and cursing Ham because he saw him(Noah) naked in his drunkenness. Muslims would never attribute such a character fault to the Prophets.

Yeah, I hope all of the biblical movies made could be historically accurate, thus taking other texts such as Josephus.

Also, what actors could play biblical parts? Which actor would be ideal for Abraham, Moses, Joshua, Samson, David, etc. . . I would love for the actors to be middle-eastern, but it is difficult to find the perfect actor to fit the role. So, even if the actor is American they can make them look middle eastern (like Jim Caviezel as Jesus using a prosthetic nose).

I'm always unsatisfied with how they portray David. He's one of the few people that the bible describes physically, so it's frustrating when they don't get the right actor, make-up. Actually, I think Henry Cavill would make a good David if they do the right make-up to make him appear more middle-eastern.

I wish Spielberg wouldn't redo Moses's story. The Ten Commandments already covered that perfectly. I thought he was making a a movie about King David. I would much rather watch that anyway.

I've always wanted to see Samson done right on screen. He was kind of one of the first superheroes.

Even though I wasn't there, it is safe to say Caviziel nailed Jesus.

Damn, that was kind of an unwanted pun. :csad:

While unrelated to Abrahamic mythology (aside from sharing a few characters), Paradise Lost could have been a good film.

Walls of Jericho could be quite interesting. During the film's climax, we'll see huge walls being teared down by loud trumpet sounds.

And regarding Sodom and Gomorrah; I wonder if we would see an atomic blast destroying the cities?

The one story I wouldn't mind seeing as an epic is Joseph and the Coat of Many Colors with a live action cast.

I thought he was great as Jesus.
Yeah I appreciated what The Passion set out to do, but I feel the movie we could have had with that cast and crew would have truly been something special if it weren't just focused on his final hours.

The one story I wouldn't mind seeing as an epic is Joseph and the Coat of Many Colors with a live action cast.

I love the story, just not sure how that would work as an epic or a mythological epic.

I really like where Aronofsky is going with Noah. The Bible ain't been seen like this before. Since he's using the Book of Enoch to inform Noah... man, how about doing an Enoch movie? Angels, demons all this cool stuff.

I also agree with some saying the Book of Revelations would make for an epic film. I'm Muslim and we of course have our own apocalytic tradition and I have been kicking around my own ideas for a graphic novel revolving around the end times, the rise of the Dajjal(anti-Christ), the return of the Mahdi and Jesus, the unleashing of Gog and Magog... all set in a Mad Max kind of world. It ends up being sort of Fist of the North Star too because it would be from the perspective of a guy who gets pulled into the events but who also does kung fu.. really derivative. Also, I can't write. Haha.

Despite what most people would think Noah's Ark is not about a global flood, it's about one wine grower in the Middle East surviving a regional flood with his family and livestock. Couldn't there be a modern day story say about an American dairy farmer living in the Mid West who hears there's going to be a flood and he needed to build an ark out of wood from his house and barn? Then put two of his own livestock on it.

The Rock as Samson. ....what...come on. You know you want to see him in a giant wig.

Despite what most people would think Noah's Ark is not about a global flood, it's about one wine grower in the Middle East surviving a regional flood with his family and livestock.

Careful there, you're actually reading the Bible in an intelligent and rational manner. No place for that in this world.

The earth was a lot smaller back then. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"