Countdown vs Batman #663 Joker

Rivethed

Civilian
Reaction score
I was just wondering why isn't the Joker in Countdown the same as the one in Batman 663. Alternate world Jokers or something?

fits and starts, man. things happen, then they tell us that the events we're witnessing now happened before the thing we read a few months back- examples include joker snatching robin up in detective and all this stuff over in action comics, where supes is sitting in the phantom zone while fill in issues cover for dick donner- although i Would like to see multiple jokers interacting, now that you mention it

Yeah, I remember that disclaimer in Detective. Would of thought they'd be up to date with #655 by now, though. Especially, in an event book. In Batman 665 they're talking about multiple Batmen and paranormal stuff in a black casebook. Just wondering if they're doing the alternate worlds thing with the Batman books.

BTW, if you've checked out Heath Ledger's picture for the Joker it looks an awful lot like the #663 Joker.

haven't seen it- can u post it? now all bats needs is scully, cancer man, and the lone gunmen, since apparently they're goin all x-files on us- not that i mind; hell, i'll take bats vs drac over bats vs osama all day every day- curious tho that they'd even consider screwing with something as fundamental as joker's look just to accomodate chris nolan's vision for a summer blockbuster-

SPOILER WARNING!

466pxjokernewlookrv4.jpg

JokerFinal.jpg

jeez, is that official? that looks Rank. i could do better than That, and i'm the friggin Stunt coordinator for my company (well, i'm also a few other things too, but Not makeup and wardrobe). i've Fired makeup and FX artists for work that looked better than that- ain't yr fault, but i think you just dimmed my hopes for the next flick considerably. and not that i'm a pure stickler for 100% faithfulness to source material (different mediums have different needs to suspend that disbelief in their audience), but if we're goin for cut smile, i think del torro did a better job in pan's labyrinth with the captain's extended smile. in fact, when i saw that i thought 'i hope nolan's taking notes here'- also keep in mind the budget for pan was less than 20mill, Way below whatever DKR will end up costing, i'm certain. so it ain't about the cash expenditure. christ, that's awful. are there any other nausea inducing test shots?

They had a Harvey Dent site up and then later a hacked version by the Joker that was on some Joker cards that were found at a comic shop. People were supposed to put in their e-mail address and put in some coordinates to make each pixel of the picture come up on the site. You can read up on it here.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32723

crap. well, just more incentive to bust my ass, make better flicks, each one bigger, till i can tackle this franchise in another 10yrs and do the damn thing Right-
oh, and back to countdown- was i the only one who thought olsen was a little prick? boo hoo, the joker says something mean, so you bust out with a smarmy 'yeah, well, do you know yr daughter's dead?' taking cheap shots at the incarcerated lunatic, how heroic.
i can't wait to see little jimmy's neck snapped, now. really. DC, don't wuss out- Kill that redheaded stepchild STAT.

...Why is the new Joker of the comic books....green?

It's because the Joker in Batman #663 wasn't permanently scared. He was shot in the face, then they sewed up his face that left the scars and stitches which left him unable to talk. At the end of the issue, he rips out the stitches, and thusly, is back to his old look.

...I think. :o

In the above picture his skin is...green. But I see, now.
There's green hue to it, sure. Presumably due to a green-tinted light source shining down on him.

Or some bull**** like that.

OOoOh. I see. Thanks all!

It's because the Joker in Batman #663 wasn't permanently scared. He was shot in the face, then they sewed up his face that left the scars and stitches which left him unable to talk. At the end of the issue, he rips out the stitches, and thusly, is back to his old look.

Nah, the Joker still has his stiches in at the end of the issue and is still unable to talk normally.

ripping out the stiches wouldn't undo the scar, and didn't he cut himself with a razor to extend the smile before batman got to arkham?

Maybe something happened to the Joker after issue #663 and before Countdown. I doubt were dealing with multi-universes here.

Maybe we'll get an explanation sooner or later.

it's also possible Countdown happened before #663

i think that other writers and artists are just ignoring this terrible idea of a scarred Joker.

i think that other writers and artists are just ignoring this terrible idea of a scarred Joker.

That could also be too. I wasn't very fond of it myself. Maybe they'll just forget it ever happened.

ripping out the stiches wouldn't undo the scar, and didn't he cut himself with a razor to extend the smile before batman got to arkham?
My thought was, there wasn't any scaring persay, rather The Joker naturally has a giant smile, and the surgeons, well, closed it. Or at least, made it small, so all the Joker's manipulations to it did was return it to normal.

Really, that's the only thing that makes a lick of sense. I mean, Countdown without question takes place after Batman #663, so there needs to be some explaination for the lack of, well, anything. Sure, in the real world, it probably was DC just saying they don't want the Joker changed that drastically, but there has to be an in-continuity explanation as well.

it's also possible Countdown happened before #663
Possible, but unlikely. Countdown is supposed to run along side the mainstream DCU continuity. For Batman #663 to be ahead of it, #663 would have to take place in the distant future, which really doesn't make sense.

Granted, it is Morrison. :o

countdown sucks, im not buyin that crap every week if batmans hardly in it

Well, Joker showed up in the most recent issue of Detective Comics and there wasn't a permanent scar in sight, so I'm hoping that they've forgot the Batman 663 business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"