Critics Choice Awards

I feel like JUNO is a better film than either of those movies. Not necessarily funnier, but far more impressive.

this whole sentence is a contradiction

a movie won best comedy which you don't feel is funnier than two other comedies that came out this year...?

In all actuality it isn't a better movie than Knocked Up nor Hott Fuzz let alone comedy

Juno is good but it much like the Prestige to the Illusionist, it's the second movie of its kind to come out in a matter of months and the first was at least not worse than it if not better...My vote is for Knocked Up one of the 5 best movies made this year

At this point I don't see Sweeney winning any major awards at the Oscars or Golden Globes. At the Oscars it'll probably win for best production design and best costume design.

Sweeny is deservent of winning no awards

It is a solid movie, but a far cry from anything worthy of best anything

It was a very visual and successful adaptation of a hard to adapt Broadway musical.

ADMIT IT!!

Sweeney Todd I'd argue is the best movie I saw this year. It is such a unique marriage of horror, art, black comedy, character study, MUSICAL THEATRE and gory bloody brilliance. But it is a little "too dark" for some voters, which I find ridiculous as No Country for Old Men is much more violent and realistic.

Anyway, no surprise No Country sweeping the awards, I feel like every one is bending down and "gushing" all over the Coens this year, kind of like Clint and Million Dollar Baby, even though The Aviator and Sideways were better that year.

I think Sweeney Todd, Michael Clayton, Into the Wild and Juno were more deserving on that list than No Country for Old Men, but No Country is still a good movie.

As for Juno winning best comedy. I have mixed feelings for, I think Juno is the smartest and best made on that list, but I was kind of pulling for Superbad to get it which was the best of the excellent Apatow trio this year (Knocked Up, Superbad and Walk Hard). Why wasn't Hot Fuzz nominated? But I am glad it went to Juno over Hairspray.

As for the Golden Globes (not that anyone is going to watch now anyway) my prediction is it will be very similar in the drama section with NO Country winning, the Coens winning, Daniel Day-Lewis winning (I really need to see that movie), Julie Christie winning, Javier Bardem taking (and deserving) best supporting actor in an amazing field (all nominated performances were phenomenal this year) and probably not Amy Ryan for supporting actress (though she deserves it). For musical/comedy, Juno will likely win best picture, Johnny Depp best actor for Sweeney Todd and Ellen Page for best actress.

Also, was I the only one surprised that Keira Knightley wasn't nominated for best actress at these awards?

P.S. DL Hugely was awful. Really surprising.

It was a very visual and successful adaptation of a hard to adapt Broadway musical.

ADMIT IT!!

I thought the flick was just dead when there wasn't any music going, but that is a trait not uncommon with movie musicals so it doesn't loose to many points, but still just lifeless when there wasn't music going. Not close to a standard I hold for best movie of the year

Sweeney Todd I'd argue is the best movie I saw this year. It is such a unique marriage of horror, art, black comedy, character study, MUSICAL THEATRE and gory bloody brilliance. But it is a little "too dark" for some voters, which I find ridiculous as No Country for Old Men is much more violent and realistic.

Anyway, no surprise No Country sweeping the awards, I feel like every one is bending down and "gushing" all over the Coens this year, kind of like Clint and Million Dollar Baby, even though The Aviator and Sideways were better that year.

I think Sweeney Todd, Michael Clayton, Into the Wild and Juno were more deserving on that list than No Country for Old Men, but No Country is still a good movie.

As for Juno winning best comedy. I have mixed feelings for, I think Juno is the smartest and best made on that list, but I was kind of pulling for Superbad to get it which was the best of the excellent Apatow trio this year (Knocked Up, Superbad and Walk Hard). Why wasn't Hot Fuzz nominated? But I am glad it went to Juno over Hairspray.

As for the Golden Globes (not that anyone is going to watch now anyway) my prediction is it will be very similar in the drama section with NO Country winning, the Coens winning, Daniel Day-Lewis winning (I really need to see that movie), Julie Christie winning, Javier Bardem taking (and deserving) best supporting actor in an amazing field (all nominated performances were phenomenal this year) and probably not Amy Ryan for supporting actress (though she deserves it). For musical/comedy, Juno will likely win best picture, Johnny Depp best actor for Sweeney Todd and Ellen Page for best actress.

Also, was I the only one surprised that Keira Knightley wasn't nominated for best actress at these awards?

P.S. DL Hugely was awful. Really surprising.

I disagree with your take on Todd, but am in a 100 percent agreeance that Hott Fuzz not being even nominated is dirt in the face for everything great movies stand for, which Hott Fuzz is (and Todd isn't...just had to throw that in there). Hott Fuzz was absolutely brilliant, a work of insane mirroring, and on beat performances made it not just one of the best comedies (in a year where comedies ruled) but one of the best movies of the year in general.

no, it's b/c of the strike, he now has to write his own jokes. now we learn which comedians are truly funny.

:o I didn't mean someone was writing his jokes for this award show, but for the other times I thought he was funny. it was very clear that he was speaking out of his ass that night (not in a good way).

Daniel Day Lewis winning made my night. There Will be Blood was f**king awesome.

:o I didn't mean someone was writing his jokes for this award show, but for the other times I thought he was funny. it was very clear that he was speaking out of his ass that night (not in a good way).
that was my point when he was funny, he had writers, now that they're on strike, no writers = no funny.

Sweeney may not get any Oscars because the sceeners were sent out VERY late. I'm surprised it got any Golden Globe recognition.

Oh, and Yay Hairspray. :)

Speaking of "Hairspray", I thought it was bull**** that Nikki Blonsky won over Ellen Page for "Juno".

Ellen Page wasn't nominated for best young actress (don't ask me why) but just best actress (which I was pulling for in, especially without Knightley nominated). Now, I personally thought the young girl in the first half of Atonement deserved the award more than Nikki Blonsky, as it was a much more complex and compelling role, IMO.

And I stand by Sweeney Todd was the best movie of the year. It was perfectly told and I've seen it twice without a dull moment once. The story is compelling with or without the music and if you thought it was slow in the non-singing portions, you still must have been captivated for 85-90% of the movie, as that is how much of it is singing.

I just think the visceral hit that that movie is, particularly the finale, is so powerful I cannot think of a more memorable or affecting movie this year. I'd say The Assassination of Jesse James comes close but that is too dark, quiet and cerebral for Awards season, which is why I'm happily surprised Casey Affleck's amazing performance is at least being recognized (I'd hope a cinematography and musical score nomination for that movie too, but alas).

Anyway I predict Sweeney will get nominations for cinematography, costume and set design at the Oscars. Johnny, Burton and Best Picture are all possible, but in Burton's case unlikely and has no chance of winning any. The Academy will be too busy sucking up to the Coens for that.

this whole sentence is a contradiction
Nonsense.

JUNO is the better film. As in, it's better-directed, better-written, better-acted and more emotionally resonant than KNOCKED UP or SUPERBAD. It doesn't have as many belly-laughs, but in terms of overall quality, I think it's superior.

As far as my favorites of the year are concerned, it's between SWEENEY TODD and THERE WILL BE BLOOD (with an honorable mention to NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"