Critics' Reviews: Discussion

so because fox is making those movies we need to lock every thread?

The fact that Trek already has 12 reviews and they're all positive, while Wolverine likely isn't going to even have a screening for the press, should tell you which studio has more confidence in their product. :o

I honestly don't understand why Tom Rothman can't get this through that 3-inch thick skull of his: If you make a good movie, people will watch it! The top 4 highest grossing movies of all time are over 2.5 hours long, and yet Fox insists that for a movie to make money it can't be longer than 110 minutes. The top grossing movie of last year (The Dark Knight) was light on action and VERY heavy on plot, and yet Fox insists that non-stop action with no character development is the only way to get an audience. When is he going to get A FREAKING CLUE!?

MAKE GOOD MOVIES AND PEOPLE WILL WATCH! It's so simple, and yet Tom Rothman seems to think it's all about this stupid broken formula he has. What Fox movies have actually made money this year, anyway? It's like Fox is dumping their money into a black hole all for Tom Rothman's pride of being able to say that no project at Fox is beyond his control.

Well-said. Fox already has a couple of duds this year (Street Fighter, Dragonball: Evolution), and I hope they will continue to lose money until they start figuring out that making crappy movies isn't the way to make good money at the BO.

so because fox is making those movies we need to lock every thread?
No, it needs to be locked because it will go way off course and cover a ton of pages that have nothing to do with the topic. This will be a great thread once we get reviews but right now it is a flame thread.

^But we are discussing reviews, so how is it off topic? Not being funny i'm just saying.

As Celestial pointed out in an earlier post, there have been several screenings of the movie for the media already, and that Star Trek's review embargo was lifted after the surprise screening in TX, since none of the audience had to sign anything agree to keep the details a secret:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=16804715&postcount=68

Several people who've seen the film commented on it last week during the European press tour (positively, from the two I heard), but the official reviews are more than likely embargoed until next week when the movie is released, which is not unusual.

You'll get plenty of reviews both negative and positive next week. There's no need to go jumping to conclusions about what Fox is doing with it right now.

Wow... :huh:

I could understand if this was April 29th, but seriously, using Star Trek as the ultimate basis on the reflecting hopes and faith that FOX has of Wolverine is just pessimistic FOX bashing 101. It's not worth getting worked up for every.single.thing. In fact, it's actually very rare that a movie would be screened as early as Star Trek did, so, it's just not worth getting upset over, guys.

If I were FOX, after that huge leak in April, the last thing I would be thinking about is having a bunch of press screenings.

Personally, I would start worrying about the lack of early reviews by next Tuesday at the earliest.

this wont make HALF the money TDK did

No X-Men movie has, actually. So no one should be expecting Wolverine to.

Trek had reviews up from the likes of Empire and Total Film 2 weeks ago, well before the premiere. Thats no excuse.

Star Trek "premiered" on April 6th. Empire and Total Film posted their reviews on the following days.

The Finished/Theatrical Version Of WOLVERINE Has Been Seen!! Just How Different Is It From That Workprint??

Merrick here...

When the workprint of WOLVERINE leaked a few weeks back, we heard a great deal from Fox about how said print represented a different edit of the film than we'd see in theaters. We heard how recently shot footage was still to be incorporated into the movie, and were told the leaked version was months old (despite the presence of FX time-stamped only a week or two before the leak).

So, many of us have been wondering exactly how the final version of WOLVERINE would differ from its workprint iteration.

Veritas sent in the following message after viewing the edit we'll be seeing in theaters, also including an aside about a conspiracy of silence surrounding advance screenings of the film.

Here's Veritas...

Sometimes there are clauses prohibiting us from writing about a movie before a certain date ("embargo"). But this was different: we had to sign a clause that we wouldn't even TALK about the movie until two days prior to its US release, especially on the web. I found that quite odd.

Add to that recent reports that the finished version is as long as the leaked workprint, even though FOX stubbornly insists that the workprint is missing the material from the reshoots. It makes sense, too, as the trailers have scenes that are not featured in the workprint (Wolverine carrying his girlfriend to the beach, a young Ororo in Nigeria).

Well, having seen the finished film, the mystery is solved: the workprint version IS in fact identical to the release print, sans effect and some audio work. It's obvious that FOX is trying their darndest to keep this news from getting out, because it will eliminate most of the motivation for people who have seen the workprint to pay for a ticket.

Some scenes from the trailer are not in the finished version, either.

The finished effects are lackluster, to say the least - some really bad CGI work made me groan numerous times (especially, but not restricted to, Patrick Stewart's cameo). The scene with Stewart looks so much better in the workprint - trying to digitally de-age him did NOT work this time around...

Good pacing, good lead performances, and some cool comic book fights overcome a non-existing story, horrible dialog (including the classic "I'm so cold..."), and criminally underdeveloped characters. It's a fun flick, but it will never be considered one of the great comic book movies of our time (like Iron Man, Dark Knight, Watchmen, etc.). They also have to jump through some ridiculous hoops to reset all the relationships to properly connect it to the first "X-Men" movie (unnecessary, I think - who seriously gives a ****?).

WAIT! There could still be a super secret special edition of the film that comes out later! X3 days:(

Or that Veritas dude could be fake. He flat out says they're not even supposed to talk about the movie but then spills the beans on aicn.com? Wtf?

WAIT! There could still be a super secret special edition of the film that comes out later! X3 days:(

The Blu-Ray!! The Blu-Ray will be the longer version!!! :oldrazz:

Oy vey...is anyone really surprised about this??

Like I said, I'm a tad bit disappointed, but honestly I got what I wanted out of the movie. A decent Gambit cameo. Shame about Deadpool but somebody had to draw the short straw. It's fitting it'd be Wade.

It actually wasn't a terrible review. It's no TDK or Watchmen, but he said it was fun. I'll take that.

The Blu-Ray!! The Blu-Ray will be the longer version!!! :oldrazz:

Oy vey...is anyone really surprised about this??
We were suppose to get 21 deleted scenes with X3 and we only got 11...they will triple dip and this movie might get a d.c. but I still doubt it.

We were suppose to get 21 deleted scenes with X3 and we only got 11...they will triple dip and this movie might get a d.c. but I still doubt it.

Didn't some DVDs have 21 deleted scenes and others have only 11? That was one of their more brilliant moves. :whatever:

Didn't some DVDs have 21 deleted scenes and others have only 11? That was one of their more brilliant moves. :whatever:

Yeah, I remember a few people were trying to post them online.Which version of extras you got wasn't even an exclusive to which store you bought it from.I remember some people had boughten it from the same chain, like say Walmart and the same version but one person only got the 11 or so deleted scenes while the other actually got the 21.
Oh yeah, Danoyse. As for your earlier post about asking if anyone was really surprised about this. I think there are a few people who this Fox film experience was their first like ours was with X-3, involving the lies and spin control. Then there are those who even after this...will still blindly defend Fox or any X-men related film they pump out...because they're ok with settling.

Then there are those who even after this...will still blindly defend Fox or any X-men related film they pump out...because they're ok with settling.

That reminds me. Wheres Peter McCabe?

you know...... i wonder what the climate would be had the "work print" been leaked and EVERYONE thought it was F'n awesome!!!! and got nothing but rave reviews instead of the venom everyone seems to be spewing... then what? what would the situation be like?? would mods still be playing god handing out laws & punishments? Hmmmm... I wonder.... anyone? lol

you know...... i wonder what the climate would be had the "work print" been leaked and EVERYONE thought it was F'n awesome!!!! and got nothing but rave reviews instead of the venom everyone seems to be spewing... then what? what would the situation be like?? would mods still be playing god handing out laws & punishments? Hmmmm... I wonder.... anyone? lol

:whatever:

The spoiler rule regarding the workprint went into effect due to complaints from other posters, and concern that what was being discussed was an illegal pirated copy of the film.

It had nothing to do with the reaction to the workprint.

I just new you'd be the one to chime in lol... hey i have no beefs... it is wat it is at this point.. eh....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"