CVS Caremark to Stop Selling Tobacco at all CVS/pharmacy Locations

Ironically the tobacco companies were also one of those groups pushing hard to ban marijuana for fear it would eat into their profits.

Its funny that a pharmacy even sells tobbaco in the first place.

Almost all of them did at one point. That they still do is somewhat anachronistic.

I'm talking about their move to care for their customers health rather than feed money into an evil corporation. Do you think this is a smart idea? Could this be a revolution of major corporations backing away from the Tobacco industry?

They may lose revenue but I for one am happy to see a company take a stand against something that clearly has horrible health risks. Goes to show some companies don't all bow down to the all mighty $

Would companies like Walgreen's or other's follow?

I've never seen the Tobacco Industry as evil. Maybe not good or Sainthood for adding chemicals to tobacco to make it more addictive. Besides, doesn't the Federal Gov't ''sin tax'' Tobacco? What does that make our Gov't? :o kinda being a ass btw, but also asking a serious question.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with ETM, but yeah, tobacco companies aren't evil.

They've bribed you, haven't they? Or are extorting you.

Didn't they have a long line of commercials aiming towards kids/teens to get them hooked for a while?

Not the same thing by any means. I never said to ignore finances. I said you can't place them above all else like you were saying. And this is hardly some start up or struggling business. That CVS is going to lose $2 billion is like .016% of their profits. That's a tiny amount compared to the goodwill and positive publicity they'll get. And the health benefit to the country as the trend grows when more businesses begin to adopt the same practice.

To ignore the moral, ethical, legal and publicity of your company's image can do more harm than making a small sacrifice to the profits.

Short term thinking like that is what dooms so many companies. I think if anything CVS is going to end up doing better in the long term.

I never said to put finances above all else, I said (paraphrasing) that failure to consider finances one of the most important aspects of your business will likely result in failure.

I also said I applaud what they're doing from a health aspect but that I'd be pissed if I was a share holder. Shareholders #1 concern is their return on investment, so yes, if this impacts profits, then they absolutely have a right to disagree with CVS's decision.

Short-term they've taken a small hit in stock value (1.7% as of yesterday afternoon). Long-term, who knows. I hope it works out for everyone in the end...but the pessimist in me doesn't think it will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"