Cyberpunk 2077

I just hope they actually embrace the Cyberpunk role-playing system and not just the setting and the lore. The Witcher for as great as it is , lacks an actual role-playing system under the hood. Most of the role playing in the Witcher comes from dialogue that can only be manipulated one way.

I think Witcher's only restricted in that way because you play a singular character. Players only have options that work within the character of Geralt. If we're able to create our own characters, a meatier RPG system is definitely ideal. I know very little about Cyberpunk, but hopefully making an original character is the case- I always prefer it to being stuck playing a predetermined one.

I always prefer an actual character. While creating a character is nice too much of the time it doesn't feel fully developed to me. Diving into Geralt and his relationship over 3 games is probably my favorite experience in my over 25 years playing video games. I have never been into the, "be the crazy guy that just hacks off a NPC's head just because". Also can't think of many times a character creator actually resulted in a character that looked the quality of what is pre-made.

I always prefer an actual character. While creating a character is nice too much of the time it doesn't feel fully developed to me. Diving into Geralt and his relationship over 3 games is probably my favorite experience in my over 25 years playing video games. I have never been into the, "be the crazy guy that just hacks off a NPC's head just because". Also can't think of many times a character creator actually resulted in a character that looked the quality of what is pre-made.

I can totally appreciate that too. Personally I don't tend to go the "do whatever suits me at the time" route when creating characters though. There are set rules, morals, principals, desires, what-have-you. I'll turn down quests if they don't suit, avoid areas, etc.

But as far as game mechanics go, playing as a predetermined character will always naturally restrict what you can and can't do. There's no choice -which makes total sense- I just prefer having the option to create say, a noble character and then later someone who's more morally ambiguous. In a game like Witcher you can only ever be Geralt -at his best or at his worst- you're always limited.

I can totally appreciate that too. Personally I don't tend to go the "do whatever suits me at the time" route when creating characters though. There are set rules, morals, principals, desires, what-have-you. I'll turn down quests if they don't suit, avoid areas, etc.

But as far as game mechanics go, playing as a predetermined character will always naturally restrict what you can and can't do. There's no choice -which makes total sense- I just prefer having the option to create say, a noble character and then later someone who's more morally ambiguous. In a game like Witcher you can only ever be Geralt -at his best or at his worst- you're always limited.
Which is exactly why the story is so strong in the Witcher series. The big decisions in the Witcher do have results that clearly change the character of Geralt based on them. Getting a story told with an actual character is a lot better when you have then insane person who does all the crazy crap isn't the one who has to end up saving the day. Also there is always restrictions. Even Saints Row had restrictions.

I have no problem with anyone playing what they like, I just have never been into the old school board game style of roleplaying. I even find Shepard to be irksome in his vagueness.

Last edited:
I'm personally not a fan of player insertion characters in video games. I'd rather have a more defined protagonist.

Which is exactly why the story is so strong in the Witcher series. The big decisions in the Witcher do have results that clearly change the character of Geralt based on them. Getting a story told with an actual character is a lot better when you have then insane person who does all the crazy crap isn't the one who has to end up saving the day. Also there is always restrictions. Even Saints Row had restrictions.

I have no problem with anyone playing what they like, I just have never been into the old school board game style of roleplaying. I even find Shepard to be irksome in his vagueness.

Right, I'm not disagreeing with your first point at all. You definitely get a more cohesive story with a defined character. All I'm saying is, regarding your second point, it doesn't have to be an insane person who saves the day -my second character in Skyrim, for example, was a stoic and traditional Norse fellow. Self imposed restrictions, if you like. I simply prefer having the option to make one or the other.

Though it certainly speaks to Witcher 3's insane level of bar-raising quality that despite entering it feeling a little 'trapped' by having to play Geralt, I still ended up thinking it puts every other game currently on the shelves to shame.

Right, I'm not disagreeing with your first point at all. You definitely get a more cohesive story with a defined character. All I'm saying is, regarding your second point, it doesn't have to be an insane person who saves the day -my second character in Skyrim, for example, was a stoic and traditional Norse fellow. Self imposed restrictions, if you like. I simply prefer having the option to make one or the other.

Though it certainly speaks to Witcher 3's insane level of bar-raising quality that despite entering it feeling a little 'trapped' by having to play Geralt, I still ended up thinking it puts every other game currently on the shelves to shame.
I get you. I am also one of those that places those self-imposed restriction in such games. It is all about preference really. :up:

Out of curiosity, what are your favorite RPGs James?

Fallout New Vegas' story was just as strong as the Witcher's and was focused on a player character. You can have it both ways. The reason why I bring up the lack of a system in Witcher is because it sets a precedent and expectations on what they may do with Cyberpunk which would be the wrong move for the license because it is a pen and paper license. Embracing the lore is great, but they need to embrace Cyberpunks role playing system if they really want to do the game justice.

They did right by the Sapkowski's novels and if they embrace every element of Cyberpunk in the same way, the game will be phenomenal. My concern is they have never made a game with an actual role playing system under the hood and we will wind up with The Witcher 3 with a Cyberpunk coat of paint which will be good, but it wouldn't be true to the licence.

Not to sound to sound like an RPG snob, if you have to impose your own restrictions on a game, you're not playing a good RPG which is where companies like Bethesda and Bioware really drop the ball.

Out of curiosity, what are your favorite RPGs James?

Off the top of my head Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Oblivion, Skyrim, the Mass Effect trilogy. Most recently Witcher 3, which I've been having a blast with the last few months. I'm sure there's others. How about yourself, sir?

Fallout New Vegas' story was just as strong as the Witcher's and was focused on a player character. You can have it both ways.

While I certainly agree you can potentially have it both ways, I disagree that New Vegas had a story as strong as The Witcher 3. Naturally it's subjective, but I feel like the depth of Witcher's characters far outdoes the supporting cast in New Vegas and that adds so much to the overall story.

They did right by the Sapkowski's novels and if they embrace every element of Cyberpunk in the same way, the game will be phenomenal. My concern is they have never made a game with an actual role playing system under the hood and we will wind up with The Witcher 3 with a Cyberpunk coat of paint which will be good, but it wouldn't be true to the licence.

CDPR hadn't done a lot of things prior to Witcher 3, they're no strangers to breaking new ground, and doing it well. It's a fair concern though.

Not to sound to sound like an RPG snob, if you have to impose your own restrictions on a game, you're not playing a good RPG which is where companies like Bethesda and Bioware really drop the ball.

How so? If I say my New Vegas character won't kill innocent people, or won't steal, those are self imposed restrictions. I think you'd agree New Vegas is a good RPG so I'm having trouble understanding your reasoning.

Off the top of my head Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Oblivion, Skyrim, the Mass Effect trilogy. Most recently Witcher 3, which I've been having a blast with the last few months. I'm sure there's others. How about yourself, sir?

While I certainly agree you can potentially have it both ways, I disagree that New Vegas had a story as strong as The Witcher 3. Naturally it's subjective, but I feel like the depth of Witcher's characters far outdoes the supporting cast in New Vegas and that adds so much to the overall story.

CDPR hadn't done a lot of things prior to Witcher 3, they're no strangers to breaking new ground, and doing it well. It's a fair concern though.

How so? If I say my New Vegas character won't kill innocent people, or won't steal, those are self imposed restrictions. I think you'd agree New Vegas is a good RPG so I'm having trouble understanding your reasoning.

In New Vegas, stealing and killing also hurt how you stand with other factions and and can actually cause you to fail quests. There is no need to impose those limitations there because there are actual consequences in game. It's almost impossible to fail a quest in Skyrim and your transgressions largely go unnoticed because the game was designed for you to be able see everything in one playthrough. That's just one example. I'm not saying these companies have always done this, but the more popular they get, the more dumbed down they become. Go from Daggerfall to Fallout 4 or Baulder's Gate to Mass Effect 3 and you'll see exactly what I am talking about.

I'd say Aaron Boone, Caesar, Veronica Santiago, Chief Hanlon, Cass, Ulysses, Marcus, Arcade Gannon and the many other NPCs in New Vegas have just as much depth to them as the cast of the Witcher. The big difference is how their stories are told and how the information is delivered because The Witcher takes into consideration that you may not have read the novels or even played the first two games. In New Vegas, you actually have to take the time to get to know characters which makes the game slower and chattier than some folks may like, but it's worth it.

For the record, The Witcher 3 is a fantastic game. It is the best triple A release of this console generation. I don't want anyone to think I'm ****ting on it. As good as the game is, CDPR's style if RPG may not be the best fit for the Cyberpunk license. It'll be a day one purchase for me regardless

Fallout New Vegas' story was just as strong as the Witcher's and was focused on a player character. You can have it both ways. The reason why I bring up the lack of a system in Witcher is because it sets a precedent and expectations on what they may do with Cyberpunk which would be the wrong move for the license because it is a pen and paper license. Embracing the lore is great, but they need to embrace Cyberpunks role playing system if they really want to do the game justice.

I don't think New Vegas' story is anywhere near as strong. Same for all the Bethesda games. They lack the depth and character work imo.

I understand your point, but I don't think they need to honor anything here, as I feel like what people would expect is something more akin to the Witcher 3 then anything else. If they were to deliver a game with a system that was similar, I think audiences would be rather happy. But we all have different priorities and maybe they could make such a game great with a similar system to the board game.

Last edited:
I don't think New Vegas' story is anywhere near as strong. Same for all the Bethesda games. They lack the depth and character work imo.

I understand your point, but I don't think they need to honor anything here, as I feel like what people would expect is something more akin to the Witcher 3 then anything else. If they were to deliver a game with a system that was similar, I think audiences would be rather happy. But we all have different priorities and maybe they could make such a game great with a similar system to the board game.

The depth and character work is totally there. If we were talking about Bethesdas in house developed games, I would agree with you, but New Vegas is totally different. We're talking about one of the only video games that has ever discussed religion in a meaningful way and all of that was because of the character work between Daniel and Joshua Graham.

Back to Cyberpunk. It's going to be solid regardless. I know what I want out of the game and hopefully it will deliver. Have any of you guys played the table top game?

Cyberpunk 2077 likely out before 2019

6 hours ago

It's looking likely that CD Projekt's big sci-fi RPG, Cyberpunk 2077, will release some time in 2018, according to some information on the...
Read more

source:PCGamesN

"Likely" :whatever:

I mean, I'm glad that CD Projekt puts all this time and effort into their games--really, i am!!--but god damn please announce things when you have some idea of when it's coming out. Announcing a game nearly 7 years before it's done seems like a bit much. I udnerstand release dates get pushed and **** happens but it sure sounds like CDP just didn't know when they were gonna finish this.

It better be worth the damn wait.

"Likely" :whatever:

I mean, I'm glad that CD Projekt puts all this time and effort into their games--really, i am!!--but god damn please announce things when you have some idea of when it's coming out. Announcing a game nearly 7 years before it's done seems like a bit much. I udnerstand release dates get pushed and **** happens but it sure sounds like CDP just didn't know when they were gonna finish this.

It better be worth the damn wait.
understandable. but I rather they do know when they are gonna launch and be sure they are ready. So delay won't happen due to bug's or issues . other wise to spare us the disappointment and hearing the complaint's from other gamers that get annoyed about hearing delays . the gaming industry is different from the movie industry and it doesn't mean doom when a delay happens.

How ever there have been those times where it has happened in similar ways . but some of it can be seen if they are showing how far they have gotten in development. But if the studio or publisher is just being sneeky you won't know sadly. but they 'll go out of business hopefully if they are that deceitful to their audience/ fans of the games they make .

Cyberpunk 2077 may be an MMORPG in disguise

November 7, 2016 51 Comments

Sniffing out promising upcoming MMOs is getting more difficult now that developers and studios are avoiding that label like the plague. Instead, we’re looking for terms like “seamless multiplayer” and “shared open world” as indicators for the types of games that we enjoy.

One of these possible MMOs-in-disguise is Cyberpunk 2077, a sci-fi RPG that’s being developed by Witcher creator CD Projekt Red. The game has been in development at least since 2012 and is supposed to create a world that’s far larger than the already expansive Witcher 3. What’s of interest to us, specifically, are recent grant applications of the title that speak of “seamless multiplayer

According to descriptions of this feature, Cyberpunk 2077 will have “a complex technology for making unique multiplayer gameplay mechanics, including the ability to search for opponents, manage game session, replicate objects, and support different game modes along with a unique set of dedicated tools.”

It should be noted that CD Projekt Red has been very quiet on this title since 2013, making no updates to its development blog or Twitter account. Still, if you’re curious what Cyberpunk 2077 looks like, hit the jump for a couple of videos showing off the concept.Read more

source: Massivelyop.com/

[FONT=&quot]If this is the case, Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be huge.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In an interview with Polish website Gazeta, CD Project Red Co-founder Michał Kicińsk talks about how he thinks their upcoming title Cyberpunk 2077 is coming along. Suffice it to say, he's very positive about their new title.
"I am convinced that Cyberpunk 2077 may be a much greater commercial success than The Witcher 3. The Futuristic world of Cyberpunk is closer to what we know from everyday life. It is also increasingly popular as evidenced of the phenomenon’s presence in a number of films, books, comics and games. You have to remember that fantasy, is a niche topic."
For those unaware, CD Projekt Red is the team behind The Witcher series and the commercial success of The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt. Kicińsk believes Cyberpunk 2077 can outdo The Witcher 3 because the first two games in the Witcher series were mostly popular in Central Europe due to The Witcher being a Polish IP in the form of books, tabletop games, and even a TV show. He believes a cyberpunk setting would be more approachable for a wider audience from the gate.

[YT]P99qJGrPNLs[/YT]

"I believe that in the case of “Cyberpunk” CD Projekt will be able to fight not only for the prestigious prizes and awards, but also for great commercial success. The combination of these two elements in the gaming industry is difficult but entirely possible, as the example of Rockstar today, and Blizzard before them."
The commercial success of Cyberpunk 2077 could probably thank the successes of The Witcher 3 as it put CD Projekt Red as a developer right up there next to series like The Elder Scrolls and Dragon Age.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
IN THIS ARTICLE

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Tags:
CD PROJEKT REDCYBERPUNK 2077
[/FONT]

source: http://www.gamezone.com/
GZ_logo-e60bbbfb8172ed2476fe1c65210e382e.svg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"