Netflix's The Witcher - General Discussion Thread

Marvolo

Avenger
Reaction score
Netflix will develop and produce a new show based on The Witcher Saga, the series of eight novels by Andrzej Sapkowski that inspired the hugely popular CD Projekt Red RPG games.

Sapkowski - who does not profit from the game series - will serve as a creative consultant on the series. “I’m thrilled that Netflix will be doing an adaptation of my stories," he explained in a press release, "staying true to the source material and the themes that I have spent over thirty years writing."

Tomas Baginski - who directed the intro videos for all three Witcher games, as well as the Cyberpunk 2077 teaser trailer - will direct at least one episode per season.

It's not clear as yet what specific stories the series will follow. Executive producers Sean Daniel and Jason Brown (The Expanse), said: “The Witcher stories follow an unconventional family that comes together to fight for truth in a dangerous world. The characters are original, funny and constantly surprising and we can’t wait to bring them to life at Netflix, the perfect home for innovative storytelling.”

Platige Image, a Polish production and visual effects house will co-produce. Executive producers Baginski and Jarek Sawko emphasised that the books' subtexts will not be lost in the adaptation: "There is a moral and intellectual depth in these books which goes beyond genre. It is a story about today and today’s challenges, hidden under a fantasy cover. It is a story about us, about the monster and the hero inside all of our hearts.”

No release date, casting, or further directorial choices have been revealed at time of writing.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/17/netflix-to-produce-the-witcher-tv-series

:awesome:

Game of Thrones, Westworld and American Gods: "We just showed some of the most explicit sex scenes in a series."

Witcher: "Hold my beer."

tumblr_o1tpjnD9zS1uijnlro6_250.gif

Sapkowski has got to be kicking himself for taking the lump sum on those games.

Yeah, this is the best thing to happen to television in a while. All those women and children I sacrificed have finally paid off.

just went from six to midnight....

in case you don't understand...

Have you actually played the games or read the books, Reek? I can't remember if we ever talked about them.

Have you actually played the games or read the books, Reek? I can't remember if we ever talked about them.

nah i just jump into random threads and pretend to be excited for ****s and giggles.

nah i just jump into random threads and pretend to be excited for ****s and giggles.
Knowing you, all you needed to hear was, "like Game of Thrones but with more sex". :o

And hey, I spent the weekend reading about people reminiscing about a game that never even existed. You can never be too careful.

But now I am really curious. Which games, which books?

i have only played the witcher 3. but read up on the others. I need to read the books on my ipad.

uh oh... am i in trouble now because ive only played the witcher 3??? the condescending vibe im starting to get in this thread is turning *****ey fast.

Witcher 1 is fairly mediocre. II is great, but limited.

III is the masterpiece of the trilogy.

The books are pretty great, though it was a ***** waiting for the last few to get translated.

i have only played the witcher 3. but read up on the others. I need to read the books on my ipad.

uh oh... am i in trouble now because ive only played the witcher 3??? the condescending vibe im starting to get in this thread is turning *****ey fast.
I am totally not judging...

If anything, playing that one game more then reading any book or playing either of the other two games really puts the Witcher in perspective. It has it all really.

Witcher 1 is fairly mediocre. II is great, but limited.
The first game is pretty damn good, if a little primitive. II was arguably my favorite game when it was released. The Witcher 3 is my favorite.

III is the masterpiece of the trilogy.

The books are pretty great, though it was a ***** waiting for the last few to get translated.
Which is your favorite short story and novel Roose?

I'm really glad I read some of the books before I played III. You don't have to but it gives you a ton more context, and you're already invested in characters who show up for the first time in that game.

Which is your favorite short story and novel Roose?

Baptism of Fire used to be my favourite, but after playing The Witcher III and seeing that storyline with Ciri come into its own I've grown really nostalgic and appreciative of Blood of Elves. As for the short stories, probably The Lesser Evil.

The first game is pretty damn good, if a little primitive. II was arguably my favorite game when it was released. The Witcher 3 is my favorite.

Witcher 1 is a good time. Vizima is still one of my favorite RPG cities. It's a bit of ***** to get to run on modern machines though.

Who are you guys hoping they cast in this thing?

Baptism of Fire used to be my favourite, but after playing The Witcher III and seeing that storyline with Ciri come into its own I've grown really nostalgic and appreciative of Blood of Elves. As for the short stories, probably The Lesser Evil.

These are my favorites as well. I'm hoping we get an episode dedicated to The Lesser Evil.

It's going to be weird not hearing Doug Cockle's voice as Geralt.

:up:

"The Lesser Evil" is a great one. Probably the story that really put Geralt into perspective for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"