• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Damien Chazelle's Whiplash (2014)

Just watched. Great film, like the majority have already stated. I was completely caught unguarded on where the film was going but was greatly surprised. Superb film, loved it.

can we please all just talk about the last 10 minutes of that movie.

"I'll que you in!"

can we please all just talk about the last 10 minutes of that movie.

"I'll que you in!"

Yeah. That was a fist pumping, **** yeah, moment. The end of that moment had me leaned forward in my seat, absolutely riveted. Can't wait for this to come out on Blu Ray so I can watch it a dozen more times.

I didn't know there was a thread for this! :awesome: Besides the obvious greatness of the entire film and the performances, can we talk about how great the dialogues are too?! I was alternating between almost having an anxiety attack and laughing at some of Fletcher's lines ("Are you one of those single tear people?!", "I can still see you Mini-Me!") :lmao:

Last edited:
I just saw this today. Hot damn this was just intense, a feat considering it was neither an action nor suspense thriller type of film. I couldn't help but just absolutely buy into the emotional rollercoaster ride of the music student that Miles Teller experienced. I used to play music competitively, although I never went to a music school, but I could still definitely relate to the characters and the competitive nature of everything that was going on—like how Miles Teller's character was so driven & obsessed with succeeding, "showing up" to a demanding teacher, aspiring to become as good as his peers, etc.

The best way I can describe JK Simmons' performance: a tour de force of anger and intensity, with both inner & outer emotions. And every time he got mad, you could feel his anger pouring off the screen. The first time he threw something I totally flinched and froze up.

Really quite an amazing film that was incredibly well-directed and well-made, and took advantage of the fact that it was also about "music" (modern jazz specifically). That last continuous no-edit-gaps musical number with the ensemble was something I hoped the film would end up doing and it totally delivered the best kind of barrage musically and in terms of acting! JK Simmons totally deserves the Oscar, and IMO, so does the film. Easily one of the best things I've ever seen of all-time, not just last year.

I think this film, Birdman, and The Grand Budapest Hotel together form a trifecta of some of the most genius filmmaking of 2014, and I won't complain if any of them win the Best Picture Oscar, but I will complain if none of them don't. ;)

Last edited:
I'm so glad more and more people are seeing the film, I honestly think it'll be one that's remembered years down the road.

I'm so happy that a tiny movie like this could make such big waves with the Academy.

JK was amazing..and scary. And Miles Teller proves that he is a capable young actor who can carry a movie

This is probably my favorite scene from the movie...

tumblr_nj67u5h6JM1qm6z8wo1_500.gif

tumblr_nj67u5h6JM1qm6z8wo2_500.gif

I went into this thinking it would be great, but holy ****. I would not only go as far as saying it is the best 2014 movie (with Birdman as nr2 and Nightcrawler as nr3), but also say it's one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

The last 10-15 minutes were some of the best I've ever seen on screen. The movie got a standing ovation from the crowd once the credits rolled and it truly deserved it.

I've got the blu-ray pre-ordered from Amazon. Can not wait to watch this! Looks insane!

I didn't know there was a thread for this! :awesome: Besides the obvious greatness of the entire film and the performances, can we talk about how great the dialogues are too?! I was alternating between almost having an anxiety attack and laughing at some of Fletcher's lines ("Are you one of those single tear people?!", "I can still see you Mini-Me!") :lmao:

That line line had me crying in silence. It shows how versatile of an actor J.K Simmons is.

Simmons already has the Supporting Actor BAFTA, will this increase his Oscar chances as well.

I think what made JK Simmons so great in the movie was that his character had a lot of layers to him. He wasn't just rotten to the core like a lot of bad characters are portrayed. You actually got glimpses of him being a pretty nice guy at times, but once he entered that room and once he got into his role of the teacher, he changed. He demanded the very best out of his students, and when they failed to deliver, he singled them out.

I re-watched the movie last night and there's a lot of great subtle things that I noticed, that I didn't think much about after the first time.

Finally got to catch this today. Good god, how did I not see this amazing, inspirational yet harrowing piece of filmmaking sooner? Fantastic from start to finish. JK Simmons is a monster and deserved every one of his accolades, and Miles Teller was excellent as well as a wide-eyed pupil pushed to his limit physically and emotionally. And I'm not a musician, but I can really relate to this with some of the football coaches I've had growing up. Not as cruel as Simmons' Fletcher, mind you, but still the idea of being pushed to excel definitely resonates with me. It was also truly fascinating how it followed much of the sports movie formula, but made the opponent the main character must defeat also his mentor.

Simply the best film I've had the pleasure of seeing in a theater in a long time, and will go down as one of my favorites.

I loved this movie. Teller was pretty damn good and J.K. Simmons absolutely earned that Oscar. The last ten minutes...lawd.

Finally saw this the other day and everyone in this thread has already said everything that needed to be said. This movie is terrific and JK Simmons deserved that Oscar without a doubt.

My favorite of 2014!

The dialogues and the performance of J. K. Simmons is just legendary. Miles Teller was also amazing.

I have no affiliation with any kind of musical instruments so it boggles my mind just how intense and passionate my experience was when I watched it. Chazelle somehow made a movie on a subject which I find boring one of my best ever experiences for a movie. Truly a brilliant piece of work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"