Daredevil 101

CaptainClown

Papa SPANK!!!
Reaction score
Hey, I am a long time DC fan and have slowly been exploring different Marvel characters. I was looking for a Daredevil thread but couldn't find one. If there is one mods could simply merge or redirect me. Thank you

Anyway, I have been reading that many Daredevil comics are really good and I was wondering what are essential readings. I have been reading Brubakers run recently and really want to know more about the character. MARVEL FANS HELP!

A lot of people are huge fans of Mark Miller's DD so you might want to check that out.

As far as I'm concerned, the best DD is Bendis' run (collected in HC vol. 2-6) and now Brubaker's run (everything after that until the present). Extremely good stuff.

The names I have heard so far are Frank Miller, Bendis, Brubaker, and Kevin Smith.

I don't know quite much about Mark miller's (mean frank?)

I did mean Frank Miller. Woops.

oh haha I was browsing for a Mark Miller daredevil book after you said that haha. I have heard amazing things about the Bendis run but kind of want to start from the beginning so I might start with Miller

Do you know if they're going to release a second omnibus for Bendis' run because it only goes up to issue #60 and I remember his run ended around #85.

Probably. They did label the Daredevil Bendis Vol 1. so chances are there is going to be a second one. I am thinking thats how I am goin to buy them.

I would go the HC route rather than omnibus. The vol. 1 omnibus collects #16-19 and #26-60 and I don't like that there's a gap.

Alright, that actually might be better then pulling out a giant tome when I want to read.

Hmmm......I guess I'll just pick up the hardcovers vol. 2-6. None of the stores near me have any so I guess I'll just use Amazon....

oh haha I was browsing for a Mark Miller daredevil book after you said that haha. I have heard amazing things about the Bendis run but kind of want to start from the beginning so I might start with Miller
Miller's Daredevil established the character as we know it, and is among Miller's best work.

Make sure you start with Miller's first stint. I think it's his best. A lot of people claim his second go-around with the Born Again story is his best DD, but I would disagree.

Ya I think I am going to start with his run on Daredevil, mores specifically The man without fear. Then Visionaries by Miller. Then Maybe Kevin Smith to Michael Bendis to Brubaker.

While Smith's arc is good, Bendis and Brubaker are more essential.

While Smith's arc is good, Bendis and Brubaker are more essential.
Maybe they are more definitive (they are), but Smith's is equally important because it brought DD back into the fold of relevancy; just prior to (and a catalyst for ) the Marvel Knights imprint's launching, DareDevil was a B list character who'd lost direction.
Smith and Quesada brought him back, established his environment, and made Hell's Kitchen a pretty grim place to be...
Without the storyline, Bendis would have had a lot more work cut out for him.

I've enjoyed the Daredevil title since Smith's run. All 100 and something issues. I recommend the entire Marvel Knights Daredevil series. It is the only Marvel title I read and the only comic series I can say I have enjoyed every single issue; not one time was I unhappy with its content.

Really, it is one of the few series I read where it is basically one huge story. Normally in titles, there are different arcs and stories that don't necessarily have to be in a certain order compared to the story prior to or after. But this one just feels like one huge story of how his life progresses.

I just started recently when some villain made Murdocks wife a crazy. I feel so out of the loop with the rogue gallery and love interests. All I know is Bullseye and Kingpin, and now Lady Bullseye who is pretty bad ass.

I just started recently when some villain made Murdocks wife a crazy. I feel so out of the loop with the rogue gallery and love interests. All I know is Bullseye and Kingpin, and now Lady Bullseye who is pretty bad ass.

You really have to go back to at least the beginning of Brubaker's run ( the trades of his run start with The Devil, Inside and Out Vol. 1 ), to get any bearings. However, Bendis' established the majority of the groundwork; Brubaker just picked up the thread, in some ways.

Hey, does anybody know if I'll be fine with just picking up Brubakers tpbs so far instead of going back and picking up Bendis' run? I really want to get the 5 hardcovers but I can't afford them right now. :csad:

no DV you NEED ALL of them!

heh ya I am trying to figure out how to diversify my money for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"