The Dark Knight Rises Dark Knight Rises Novel - Thoughts?

The_Fire_Rises

Civilian
Reaction score
I would love to hear what you guys think of Greg Cox`s novel.

I`m 128 pages in (right in the middle of the stock exchange chase). Here are some thoughts from the stuff i`ve read:

1) The guy driving the van to meet the CIA guys at the beginning is name Barsad and is Bane`s top guy.

2) There was a scene cut out where Bane`s thugs are talking to each other after they knock out Gordon and reference Bane by name, which explains how Gordon knows it.

3) Some of Bane`s fight scenes are different. Lots more neck crushing and blood thrown around.

4) Bruce does in fact get the leg brace from Fox, rather than seemingly out of nowhere like in the movie.

5) I got a bunch better sense of why Bruce jumped back into being Batman than in the movie. I know Bane explains that Bruce doesn`t fear death in the prison, but in the book we get to hear it from Bruce himself. It`s really clear that Bruce goes back out because of the possibility of death.

6) I also got a slightly better idea of the attraction Bruce has to Selina. During their first encounter, Bruce tells us that he sees some of himself in Selina; specifically how she has two sides to her like he has two sides to him.

I would love to hear what you guys think of Greg Cox`s novel.

I`m 128 pages in (right in the middle of the stock exchange chase). Here are some thoughts from the stuff i`ve read:

1) The guy driving the van to meet the CIA guys at the beginning is name Barsad and is Bane`s top guy.

2) There was a scene cut out where Bane`s thugs are talking to each other after they knock out Gordon and reference Bane by name, which explains how Gordon knows it.

3) Some of Bane`s fight scenes are different. Lots more neck crushing and blood thrown around.

4) Bruce does in fact get the leg brace from Fox, rather than seemingly out of nowhere like in the movie.

5) I got a bunch better sense of why Bruce jumped back into being Batman than in the movie. I know Bane explains that Bruce doesn`t fear death in the prison, but in the book we get to hear it from Bruce himself. It`s really clear that Bruce goes back out because of the possibility of death.

6) I also got a slightly better idea of the attraction Bruce has to Selina. During their first encounter, Bruce tells us that he sees some of himself in Selina; specifically how she has two sides to her like he has two sides to him.

Have my copy coming Thursday. Yay for Amazon Prime, though I was hoping they'd release a Kindle edition immediately.

I knew the leg brace came from Fox seeing as he just returned from his meeting with Fox. I also knew he was very open to the possibility of dying and basically being a martyr because Alfred said so. I don't need Bruce to say it, just as I didn't need to see Fox give him the leg brace in order to get the hint that it was him.

Same really goes for Selina. You can tell that he's a bit smitten after their first encounter.

I think Nolan just assumes that his audience can figure a lot of this out without added exposition. He needed to save the exposition for the parts that needed it - and there were many. If he explained everything instead of building in inference it would just diminish the flow of the picture.

I do see that a lot from critics especially, this desire to have everything explained. I think it much better to inference something and trust the audience to be intelligent. Books are a much better medium to describe everything.

Bruce is not a death itself

He is afraid that if he dies, he wont be able to save Gotham

To my knowledge novel adaptations of films are not 1-1 canon with the films events nor are they direct representations of the movie's script.

I believe the authors for these adaptations are allowed to input there own level of interpretation and embellishment of things.

Have my copy coming Thursday. Yay for Amazon Prime, though I was hoping they'd release a Kindle edition immediately.

I knew the leg brace came from Fox seeing as he just returned from his meeting with Fox. I also knew he was very open to the possibility of dying and basically being a martyr because Alfred said so. I don't need Bruce to say it, just as I didn't need to see Fox give him the leg brace in order to get the hint that it was him.

Same really goes for Selina. You can tell that he's a bit smitten after their first encounter.

I think Nolan just assumes that his audience can figure a lot of this out without added exposition. He needed to save the exposition for the parts that needed it - and there were many. If he explained everything instead of building in inference it would just diminish the flow of the picture.

I do see that a lot from critics especially, this desire to have everything explained. I think it much better to inference something and trust the audience to be intelligent. Books are a much better medium to describe everything.

I don`t have the desire to have everything explained to me, but I feel the book has done a better job at conveying some things so far than the movie.

Also, I love Nolan`s Bat films, but he`s famous for having tons of expository dialogue in his movies.

Selina's friend called "Jen"?

She is called Jen. She's 15 or 16 and she and Selina have been through a lot together.

I don`t have the desire to have everything explained to me, but I feel the book has done a better job at conveying some things so far than the movie.

Also, I love Nolan`s Bat films, but he`s famous for having tons of expository dialogue in his movies.

That was my point. This film already had enough exposition, no reason to add clutter on things that have been explained by other characters or can be inferred.

I think the movie struck a perfect balance of exposition and action. It could have been easily tipped in one direction or another, yet Nolan managed to keep it balanced.

That was my point. This film already had enough exposition, no reason to add clutter on things that have been explained by other characters or can be inferred.

I think the movie struck a perfect balance of exposition and action. It could have been easily tipped in one direction or another, yet Nolan managed to keep it balanced.

Point taken. I guess my point ultimately was that he didn't do a good job of showing us a lot of things either.

Point taken. I guess my point ultimately was that he didn't do a good job of showing us a lot of things either.

I thought he did. I just assumed that Fox got him the leg brace that enhanced his strength. That seems like something that would be in the armory that Lucius had just showed him and the point was further enhanced by Alfred pointing out that Batman had been out causing havoc and showing off Fox's new toys. That was a plural, so it was more than just the Bat. We'd already see the mini-EMP device with the paparazzi cameras earlier, but that would be a new toy. So would the electrical gun that got shot. But I assumed it had to do with everything - and since we saw him putting on the brace right after he got back from seeing Fox. The leg brace was obvious.

I didn't know the name of Bane's right hand guy, but I recognized him throughout the film and figured that's who he was. You see him dropping Bane off, you see him handing him the cell phone in the sewer to chase down Gordon, you see him arrest Gordon, you see him standing next to him at City Hall. He's around Bane all the time.

I didn't know how Gordon knew Bane's name, but I noticed the CIA guy had heard of him, so I just assumed that Gordon had heard rumors about him being in Gotham and probably had heard tale of something happening underground. It seemed like he had an idea to go under the manhole. That's inference on my part, but I don't need to know how a character finds out something unless it's something that would be incredible for them to know. Alfred knew a little about him, so I assumed the commish would too.

Alfred, Bane, and the doctor basically all say that Bruce doesn't fear death.

I guess my point is that Nolan explained things just fine.

As for the attraction to Selina, just about every man who's watched the film can figure that one out. Ultimately I thought it was about understanding that she wanted to escape from her lot in life, just like him. You see that when he gives her the clean slate.

Nolan showed us plenty of things. He may not have described them in detail, but they are there.

Ehh, this didn't need explanation anyways in the film as you could tell that Bruce saw himself in Selina when she cracked his safe.

Maybe the guy who started this thread should have read the book first before going to see the movie.

Does it mention Barsads death in the novel?
How does he die?

To my knowledge novel adaptations of films are not 1-1 canon with the films events nor are they direct representations of the movie's script.

I believe the authors for these adaptations are allowed to input there own level of interpretation and embellishment of things.
Cox worked off the script and worked with various WB people and Emma Thomas while writing the book.

In the novel does it mention or say that foley shoots Barsad in the head?
Could you post that bit?
Also does Fox say "Nothing like a little air superiority, isn't it" in the novel.
I know those things happen in the movie but do they happen in the novel?

In the novel does it mention or say that foley shoots Barsad in the head?
Could you post that bit?
Also does Fox say "Nothing like a little air superiority, isn't it" in the novel.
I know those things happen in the movie but do they happen in the novel?
In the novel it doesn't mention Barsad's death although we see it in the movie - and this happens to Foley in the book: "The armoured vehicle smashed into Foley without even slowing down."

As for that line from Fox, I just had a look and don't think its in there.

I thought he did. I just assumed that Fox got him the leg brace that enhanced his strength. That seems like something that would be in the armory that Lucius had just showed him and the point was further enhanced by Alfred pointing out that Batman had been out causing havoc and showing off Fox's new toys. That was a plural, so it was more than just the Bat. We'd already see the mini-EMP device with the paparazzi cameras earlier, but that would be a new toy. So would the electrical gun that got shot. But I assumed it had to do with everything - and since we saw him putting on the brace right after he got back from seeing Fox. The leg brace was obvious.

I agree that it was perfectly clear that Bruce got the brace from Fox. But I think all it did was allow the knee to function as if perfectly healthy. Kicking through bricks is something Bruce Wayne is able to do un-enhanced.

Batman-Year-One-Comic-Training-DC-Comics-Frank-Miller-David-Mazzucchelli-Trinity-Comics-Review.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"