Darkman

Punisher Rising

Mechanical Psychopath
Reaction score
darkmanposter.jpg

Does anyone else here absolutely love this movie? It's one of my all-time favorites and a true underrated classic to me. I love the character of Darkman and feel he's so underrated and forgotten, and the movie is great even though it's a little dated nowadays. It has a solid cast (especially Larry Drake as Durant, one of the best villains out there, so evil he could make Satan on his worst day cringe and quiver), a brisk pace, a fine plot and some great action scenes including the factory raid and the helicopter scene, and Darkman's make-up is amazing (and downright disturbing).

The two sequels are both decent and watchable, but neither is nearly as good as the original, although they're both worth a watch. I also enjoyed the film novelization (which differs a fair bit from the film despite some general similarities), the four-novel original series (all four are really good and worth a read) and the Marvel Comics six-issue series which was basically an alternate sequel to the first movie, and was pretty entertaining (if a bit strange in the later issues). And of course, there's the Darkman Vs. Army Of Darkness series, which was a great crossover and very fun (and whatever happened to the supposed solo series Darkman was supposed to get after that? Thought it was slated for release in 2007, IIRC). I have the NES game as well which I have yet to beat, very tough game.

Any other Darkman fans?

(I did a search to see if a thread on this movie already existed but I found none, but if another exists by all means, feel free to merge it).

Yeah, Darkman is the man. I hated the sequels, because they were so crappy. You could see Arnold Vosloo's lips move when the mask's mouth was open.
But anyway, the first Darkman is really nice comicbooky movie, with trademark Raimi visuals and comedy. And even Bruce Campbell in the end.

Well, you cannot say it often enough: It's not a comic book movie ;)

Yup, but that aside, nice movie, I would give 7/10 points, not overly brilliant but very entertaining and better than Raimi's Spider-Man flicks.

as much as I like Darkman, it's dated. I love movies from the 70s and 80s mind you, but I just think Darkman didn't age as well as it should..

Wow, I'm glad someone made a thread on this. Darkman was a great movie, one of my favorites. The carnival scene was insane!

I remember I loved this movie so much. It became a classic to me but I haven't seen it in years. And yes, so much better than Raimi's Spiderman.

Darkman is one of my personal favorite films and definitely my favorite Raimi film. I just love it.

It is a classic. I was young when I first saw it and remember getting scared when they were torturing him near the start. Larry Drake's character Durant was cool.

Liam Neeson definately helped bring the character to life. I don't think Campbell could have made you feel for Peyton as much if he was cast like intended.

This was one of my favorite movies growing up. I would watch it all the time. In retrospect I don't think my parents paid enough attention to what I was watching.

Shoot, don't know why that didn't turn up when I did the search. Search seems to throw lots of unrelated results together when I look for a particular topic :o

Good to see there's others here who are fans of this movie. It's coming to Blu-ray in June, but unfortunately it'll be barebones :cmad: Stupid Universal. There's NO excuse for a barebones Blu-ray disc. Even if they didn't want to produce new special features, the least they could've done was dug through their archives for things like promotional featurettes, deleted scenes, etc.

At least there's this neat featurette online to view in the meantime:

[YT]5uZBVYkZrJo[/YT]

Very cool little movie especially love the way Darkman would disguise himself as Durant's goons and the music by Danny Elfman is fantastic right up there with his Batman theme.

"I was engaged to a girl with a wooden leg once"

"Oh yeah, what happened?"
"Had to break it off"

I still have my Darkman action figure from SOTA's defunct Now Playing series of action figures, back from 2005.

I don't agree with those who say that it's dated. What exactly is dated about it? :huh:

I guess it's just the overall look of the film, which may be due to the not very good DVD transfer it has. But beyond that, some of the bluescreen effects certainly are more obvious today.

Darkman was a fun romp. Haven't seen it in years. Still, I cannot help wondering how well Bruce Campbell would have fared as Darkman/Peyton Westlake.

Too bad the sequels sucked. They dishonor the legacy of the original.

JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULIE!! :woot:

One of my favorite movies. Ever.

I cannot help wondering how well Bruce Campbell would have fared as Darkman/Peyton Westlake.

He would have sucked. Bruce Campbell isn't a dramatic actor, so he wouldn't have been able to handle the role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"