Raimi Spiderman - Darkman

P

Psion

Throughout the trilogy of Spiderman, i see alot of simularities between Raimi's classic Darkman and Spiderman. I mean, it is Raimi style. Like the overlapping scenes. Or when in Spidey 1, when Peter ran in the alley while changing, the whole run in front of rear projection style, just like in Darkman.

Then, we see the final battle royal at construction site. the photos and trailers, look ALOT like the construction site climax in Darkman. I am not saying that the sequence is the same because Spidey 3 has way more money. But the lighting, setup, even the building in progress itself, (and remember Darkman did a tarzan swing there?) is so simular to Spidey 3.

But that is the only few points I caught. (including the Ock hospital scene looking like evil dead POVs) Wonder, whatelse we will see in Spidey 3 that was in Darkman. I mean, at the time, the Darkman visuals were very cool. the way the colors lighted the scene when darkman is pissed. I am looking forward to Venom Spidey battle to be the acid pumped version of that.

Yeah. Saw Darkman a while ago and Darkman seemed to be remarkably VERY similar to Spidey.

"that would be........just fine"

It would be funny if Venom picks up a rivet gun & starts shooting it at Spidey like what the bad guy did to Darkman in Darkman.

Darkman was very good movie and I loved it's amazing vissual style :up:

I love Darkman and think it's better than both sm1 and sm2 even without cgi everywhere. I like action that looks real.

And I love how darkman's scientific genius isn't sacraficed for believability. It's totally comic bookish how he creates his face masks and totally unrealistic, but who cares? It's supposed to be that way, end of discussion.

I definitely see some similarities to darkman in spidey 2 when ock is in that warehouse or whatever and talking to himself about rebuilding his machine. His "I am not a monster." thing might be from darkman too.

Oh and after looking through the quotes for darkman, I remember that the end of darkman is very similar to teh end of spiderman since at the end Darkman tells us who he is.

"I'm everyone - and no one. Everywhere - nowhere. Call me... Darkman."

There's also the scene in SM1 where early spider-man smashes the killer's head through some windows, with the camera on the other side of the windows. Though it was a little more flamboyant in darkman,

Back when the first Spidey film was released in 2002 I posted a thread predicting that Raimi would eventually return to his style. The first film was his first "big blockbuster" movie so he stayed away from his usual kinetic style of filmmaking. Then, with Spider-Man 2 you got some CLASSIC Raimi scenes like the hospital scene and the "He's Back" scene. So, now that we're heading into the third film in this franchise I think we can expect more of Raimi' kinetic filmmaking style. He's getting more comfortable and the studio is trusting him more.

Darkman sucked and I'll be horrified if Spidey 3 ends up being anything more like it.

Another potential comparison I'v noticed is that the construction site climax in Darkman takes place at night and comes to a conclusion at day, which is where the film ends.
From what I can see in the trailer it looks as though this is the same case with climax in Spidey 3. It looks as though the fight take place at night/early morning and comes to a conclusion at sunrise/early morning.
I.e. The shots where it shows MJ crying looking at Spidey without his mask, and Spidey with a saddened look on his face with what appears to be someones head at the bottom of the screen (I.e. Harry).

also when spidey is coming up with costume concepts and drawings are fading in and out behind him is also similar to a scene in darkman.

I don't remember much of Darkman, since the last time I saw it was years ago, but my favorite part was the Bruce Campbell cameo at the end. Anything with Campbell cameo owns. And such is just another similarity between Darkman and the Spidey movie.

Also in Darkman,after the explosion disfigured him he become a superhero.This same formula could be done with Harry as well.

If we're really lucky Venom will resemble the deer head on the wall of the cabin in Evil Dead. :woot:

"The Car" appeared in Darkman and the Spider-Men
Bruce Campbell also pops up in both

I wish the Spider-Man movies were as unapologetically comic booky and filled with over the top stuff as Darkman was.
I frickin' love that movie to death.

"What do you think, Julie? Who's the real monster here? I destroy, to build something better! Whereas you? You're a man who destroys for revenge! Look... look about you! It's all mine... because I built it! I built it aaaaaall!"
*strikes over the top iconic pose*

I love that ****!

Ahhhh...I wish I remembered more of Darkman....all I can remember from it is that one ganglord that collected fingers dumped Darkman's head in acid and the part when the Darkman's face-mask thing was melting off at the fair and the beat then he sh** out of the carnival guy who wouldn't give Darkman's girlfriend her prize...

lordofthenerds said:
that one ganglord that collected fingers

"Now, let's consider my points, one by one. One... I try not to let my anger get the best of me."
*Cuts off one of Eddie Black's fingers*
"Two... I don't always succeed."
*Cuts off another finger*
"Three... I've got seven more points!"
*Black screams*

:woot:

"my name is Robert Durant"

aside: that actor got fat

I agree! Darkman is AWESOME. But, I think Raimi took the right approach. This franchise couldn't be too comic book-ish. It would have turned off many. But, I think slowly he's heading in that direction. Or atleast camera-wise anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"