David Fincher's Mindhunter (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Kaleb, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Darepool

Darepool Registered

My guess would be the Atlanta murders as the main focus, but BTK will be built up further throughout the show for S3 (assuming there is one).

2. Darepool

Darepool Registered

We are also getting into Bundy territory with the show's time frame.

3. Man in the Suit

Man in the Suit Greeting

The first episode was okay, but the second episode hooked me. Some of the dialogue was taken from real interviews which makes it even creepier.

4. PrehistoricDog

PrehistoricDog Futurism

[YT]FDYBmNYc8IA[/YT]

5. flickchick85

flickchick85 Mod of Might

Just watched the 1st three eps. Fantastic so far.

6. Thundercrack85

Thundercrack85 Registered

Honestly, I had mixed feelings about this show. There's some stuff I like, and a lot I don't like. Holden is so awkward and bad with people, I question how he got this far in life. His romance with Debbie is probably the worst I have ever seen in a television show. That first encounter though. I haven't cringed this hard at dialogue since Attack of the Clones. Are the sex scenes supposed to be painful to watch? Just zero chemistry.

The rest of the cast is better, though the two leads don't have the best chemistry, but it's getting better. You know your show has problems when Ed Kemper is the most relatable character. Bill grows on you, though.

All that said, the show does have great visuals, and I do like the actual focus of the show (delving into the minds of killers and solving murders). That they actually do well. The show ended rather unceremoniously. I am not sure where it is going.

7. flickchick85

I mean I think it's pretty clear toward the end that there's nothing romantic about their relationship. It's not meant to be a "romance" lol. Holden is definitely a screwed up fellow, but that made him interesting to me.

This show was fantastic to me. Can't wait to see what they do with BTK in S2.

8. Thundercrack85

Thundercrack85 Registered

Well that bar scene was pretty damn bad. Like I nearly stopped watching bad. Ed Kemper saved the day.

9. flickchick85

To each their own, I thought it was appropriately awkward.

10. Darepool

Darepool Registered

Ford demonstrates sociopathic tendencies throughout the show. Did you see how he reacted after the car accident? Textbook. The sex scenes were definitely awkward and he seemed to be playing the part of a boyfriend and lover at times more then anything. Wouldn't be surprised if he was never in a traditional relationship (beyond sexual) prior to Debbie. He's mamma's boy. Honestly, I'm curious why she stayed with him so long, unless there were scientific reasons behind it. I also hope season 2 gets into Bill and Wendy's analysis on Holden. The uneasiness that seeped into their group dynamic because of Holden's 'escalasting' behavior towards his 'subjects' and job.

#35 Darepool, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  11. Primal Slayer

Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

The beginning of the series I wasn't really feeling it but I stuck on, around ep7/8 things got really good! I may have to rewatch the first half of the season sometime.

12. guitarsingerguy

guitarsingerguy Who am I?

I'm only a few episodes in, but I'm enjoying the hell out of the show. I knew it was gonna be a slow burn at first, so the speed isn't bothering me. This seems to be Fincher's M.O. with this type of thing.

13. Neno_Kos

Neno_Kos Registered

Excellent tv show. Looking forward to second season.

14. Guts

Guts Smug

I do wonder what will happen with the BTK Killer. Being as how he wasn't arrested until 2005.

15. KaijuDude1992

KaijuDude1992 Registered

I loved this show as well. It had Fincher's finger prints all over it and everything from the acting, to the atmosphere was perfect. Groff and McCallany made for an interesting duo and I liked how their chemistry only started to really build as the show went on. I got to say though that the stand out of the entire thing for me has to be the guy who played Edmund Kemper. What a fantastic and chilling performance from a guy I have never seen before. The way they set up the BTK killer was pretty interesting too. I definitely can't wait for more seasons of this show.

16. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones It's All One Story

I just finished this and this was just excellent. Might be my favorite show of the year. This is a show that can go on a long time and get even better with where the characters could go, especially Ford. Talk about a character who is intentionally a square and almost a vacuum where it's served to a greater end. Groff really pulled that off and it's a subtle performance with where he begins and ends.

17. Compi716

Compi716 The SHH! Jew

Now this is a damn fine television show. Excellent in every aspect from start to finish. I haven't been this locked into a show since probably House of Cards season 1. Can't wait to see what season 2 brings, and I really hope Fincher returns to direct a few episodes.

18. SomeOldGuy

SomeOldGuy Registered

Finished it up last night. It was kind of...meh? I mean, I love the look of the show, the acting is mostly fine, it’s well-written...bu given all that I don’t think I liked it as much as I should have.

Part of it, I think, was that I continually found myself losing interest whenever they went away from the “serial killer/police investigation” parts. I didn’t give a crap about Holden’s girlfriend (and didn’t buy their relationship at all anyhow) or his partner’s kid or FBI office politics.

The other thing was it all seemed kind of monotone. You got your emotionless killers, your emotionless feds, your emotionless consultant/boss, your emotionless girlfriend, etc. Even the wife of the school principal, who ought to have been livid, was pretty downbeat. I guess it’s the style they’re going for but it’s not working for me.

Still, all that said, it’s worth a watch. 6/10.

19. squeekness

squeekness The mighty squeek!

Just watched the first episode and I can see I'll be up late cramming in as many episodes as I can tonight. :D

20. Roose Bolton

Roose Bolton Son of Katas

I watched the first three episodes last night. Digging it.

21. KevTravels

KevTravels Registered

Really great series. Felt like one of those European crime/detective dramas in recent years

22. squeekness

Finished the second episode and I'm officially hooked, too. This show is sweet like candy. :D

23. KevTravels

KevTravels Registered

Welcome aboard. I was surprised of the older guy cast in the lead role. I saw him in small roles over the last decade or 2. Amazing he got such a big role and he def showed he was up for it.

24. squeekness

Holt McCaulleny. Whenever I see him he's always that guy from Fight Club. "His name is Robert Paulson." :p

25. squeekness

Just finished this and now I have the sad feeling of having to wait for the next season. :( This show was solid all the way through. I hope it sticks around for a long time.