DC Showcase - Batman: Death in the Family (Short)

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Reaction score
In the latest batch of DC Showcase shorts, we have already had:

Sgt. Rock (Bruce Timm - attached to Batman: Hush)
Death (Sam Liu - attached to Wonder Woman: Bloodlines)
The Phantom Stranger (Bruce Timm - attached to Superman: Red Son)
Adam Strange (Butch Lukic - attached to Justice League Dark: Apokolips War)

Coming out later in 2020 is the short that will anchor a compliation, Batman: Death in the Family. Gary Miereanu (WB PR) has now stated that Brandon Vietti is the producer of the short, leading to speculation that it could expand on the prologue seen in Batman: Under the Red Hood or detail what happened to Jason Todd in Young Justice. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Time will tell if they pull off the multiple branches well, but the concept itself is fantastic.

Using it for this story in particular is so meta, I had to laugh at its genius.

Is that John DiMaggio back as Joker? Delightful. Second only to Hamill as vocal performances go.

This looks good. A cool concept, and cool for the comic fans who know how it went down when DC published the story in the comics.

This looks pretty interesting and I like the ability to choose as an homage to the original story

But uuum... Speaking of the original story...

Maybe I'm dumb or something for caring about this, but idk why every single newer version of the story always chooses to omit the "Jason finds his biological mother who then is coerced by Joker to betray him, then has to watch as Joker beats him to a pulp and is left to die with him" part of it.

Like, I get the "ambassador of Iran" part might be a bit too ridiculous but idk why there's such an insistance upon leaving the other, pretty big part of it out

Just saw the trailer and it seems such a fantastic idea that has potential to use it a bit more in other animated films. Can't wait to see all 3 paths play out!

I mean it doesn't take much to sell me on a DC animated movie these days, because I'm pretty much down to watch anything, but this does look really cool and unique.

I don't see a "Superboy pounds on the walls of the multiverse, and it simply never happened" option...

Glad to see the other recent shorts will be included on the blu-ray. I wasn’t sure if that was still the plan or not.

Why do they keep changing Hush’s identity LOL. Tommy Elliott can’t catch a break

So Wonder Woman 1984 is coming out soon, and to promote Cheetah's role in it they have her get sniped by Jason Todd. After being arrested by Batman and the Gotham cops (?!)

I'd be apathetic to the rest of this (not a Red Hood fan), but that just sucks. One of Batman's numerous z-list villains couldn't fill that role, they had to drag the WW IP into this?

Really doesn’t seem that intense to me, but okay.

I'm biased, since Cheetah's one of my favorite characters and Jason has become one of my most hated :oldrazz:

Since more people will see WW84 than watch this though, it probably isn't as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be in the long run. But DC/WB has a long history of using Wonder Woman's villains poorly (especially Cheetah) in ways they don't do for Batman or even Superman villains, so it always annoys me when it pops up.

So, like the original comic, you can choose the outcome for Jason Todd. Doesn't that now make the Under the Red Hood movie a 'What if?'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"