Defiance - coming to Syfy in 2013

I hope this makes it. I enjoyed the pilot immensely. Very scifi with all the quirks and charm of my favorite scifi shows.

Oh and at the beginning when they are getting that core from the downed ship when he pulled out the crystal I couldn't help but get nostalgic for stargate. Crystal tech was a staple in that series. Nice nod.

Pilot was good the show has potential the Nolan characters was very Han solo

Yeah the characters were the highlight. Cgi needs some work or some boundaries. I'm ok with questionable cgi in scifi shows cause it comes with the territory, but they have to know their limits. That battle at the end was getting dangerously into video game territory and was a bit of a mess. This being the pilot I expect these things tho. Gotta figure out what works and what doesn't. The potential is there and that's a good thing.

There is also a MMOFPS linked to the show for the gamers out-there. If I remember is it FTP with a cash shop.
Events in the show will have an impact on the game and vis versa.

The game is a 3rd person MMO shooter, and it is pay to play. You have the purchase the game once, like Guild Wars 2, but there is no monthly subscription fee.

^^
Then it is Free To Play ( whatever you have to buy the game or not ) not Pay to Play for there is no monthly fee.

I'm not getting into a battle of semantics. If you have to lay down money to access the game (at all) then it is not FREE. :dry:

And that is my opinion on the matter. /dropsmic

This show has promise, I just hope that it manages to deliver on it :)

I want to watch this show but givin syfys record with canceling shows I like and taking forever sometimes I just don't know if I want to go through all that again.

I'm still not fully over them canceling shows like Sanctuary, Eureka and Alphas. At least Eureka had a season to finish their series but still.

Sanctuary was robbed yet drek like Warhouse 13 continues.

Last edited:
I'm still not fully over them canceling shows like Sanctuary, Eureka and Alphas. At least Eureka had a season to finish their series but still.

Damnit, Alphas was cancelled?

Just finished watching the pilot and thought it was very good. I saw a lot of elements from Farscape, Stargate, and other scifi genre elements in there.

I hope this show does well. The old mayor being behind the attack was odd. I wonder what that thing is that they are looking for.

I hope it continues to do well. I am loving the series so far. I think I may watch the pilot again when I get home!

Saw the pilot, I was not very impressed but pilots are usually underwhelming.
The lead is ok, her sidekick not so much.

PS : the game is Free To Play or Buy to Play for a proper categorization of the product.

Just caught the pilot. The events were pretty predictable. But then again, it had to in order to set the premise.

That said, the setting and themes have me intrigued. The world appears - at least at the moment - well realised and from what I've heard, they even developed actual languages for the various alien races. Plus, I love the "Mad Max"-esque alien bikers. Hope we see more of them.

In addition, as strange as it sounds, I'm most intrigued and interested to see how they progress the whole interracial romance subplot between the two teens. I think how they handle that storyline in the next few episodes will be a good indicator of the quality and the maturity that we can expect from the writing team.

So, not to sound racist...but I was totally expecting the black guy to be the bland, generic guy with a gun and low intelligence. Just based on how black men are treated in film and TV typically. (Sad to say) But they did a fine job with him! He actually seems like a fun and interesting character with a smart head on his shoulders. I like that. That and the strong female characters.

Last edited:
So, not to sound racist...but I was totally expecting the black guy to be the bland, generic guy with a gun and low intelligence. Just based on how black mean are treated in film and TV typicall. (Sad to say) But they did a fine job with him! He actually seems like a fun and interesting character with a smart head on his shoulders. I like that. That and the strong female characters.

I called him Lincoln Ford Mercury. Post apocolyptic, good head on his shoulders, taken in by a older mentor. It is obvious they set up him and Irisa for a down the road thing (friendship etc.)

I am interested in watching this but havent played video games for years, so wont be playing the one this is based on. Will it still be worth watching just as someone who is interested in the TV series alone?

I am interested in watching this but havent played video games for years, so wont be playing the one this is based on. Will it still be worth watching just as someone who is interested in the TV series alone?

Yes, its my understanding there are limited interactivity going on and you wont miss anything just watching the show (For example..if a character leaves on screen tv)..they could then show up in the game in some manner.

Yes, its my understanding there are limited interactivity going on and you wont miss anything just watching the show (For example..if a character leaves on screen tv)..they could then show up in the game in some manner.

Ah right, good stuff, thanks, will watch a few episodes and see if I like it.

Just watched the second episode. Surprised no one's commented on it yet. Overall, I'm liking the show.

At the moment, I think the biggest downside is the plotting. But then again, I suppose that's to be expected. It's just that every turn of events once the premise of the episode had been set up was quite predictable. I knew the moment the Mayor's assistant awoke from his coma that he would escape and eventually be killed when Nolan and Rafe went after him. Just as I knew that with Nolan gone, Irisa was going to interfere with the Castithan ceremony, which would in turn cause things to escalate with the Mayor and Nolan having to intervene; forcing Datak to back down. And of course, in order to maintain him as a credible antagonist in the viewer's eye, Datak would of course still kill the guy anyway and retaliate in some fashion.

However, where the plotting was predictable, I thought the lessons and characterisations were pretty clever; whether intentional or not. With the former, where lots of reviewers criticised the lesson about accepting other cultures to be a tired Aesop, I felt that wasn't the main message. Rather, it was something else entirely. Namely, it's that you can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped. It didn't matter whether Irisa cut him loose or not. The guy didn't want to be saved and so, there was nothing anyone could do save him. Nolan mentioned it right at the start.

Likewise, this episode shed light on Rafe's character and possibly why he disapproves his daughter's relationship with Datak's son. It was revealed that he tried becoming a photographer following the alien terra-forming of Earth but gave up as the scenery was too painful a reminder of all that he had lost. In addition, we also learned he then went into the mining business. The former makes me think he's likely bitter towards the aliens over everything he's lost while the latter bit shows that he's able to adapt in order to survive. Which explains why he's willing to work with aliens. While he doesn't like them, he's willing to tolerate them.

On the subject of characterisation, something I should have mentioned about last week was how efficiently the show established Nolan and Irisa's personalities and relationship. Irisa's initial silent treatment and Nolan's eventual getting her to open up by singing very quickly highlighted their father-daughter relationship.

Heh... now that I think about it, it's quite hilarious how often Nolan sings in order to get others to open up to him. Hmm... would be useful as an interrogation technique.

Yeah the 2nd episode was decent, the city underground was interesting, I dont know about the game but the series seems to borrow a from Firefly IMO, but its ok so far, I will definately watch the next few episodes.

Yeah the 2nd episode was decent, the city underground was interesting, I dont know about the game but the series seems to borrow a from Firefly IMO, but its ok so far, I will definately watch the next few episodes.

How so? If you're referring to its aesthetic, I think it's pretty much your standard "Mad Max"-esque, post-apocalyptic, used future.

And I think this might actually be one of the show's main weakness in attracting viewers. Visually, there's nothing that's particularly eye-catching and unique. With Firefly, there was at least the Chinese writing and terminology.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"