Defiance - coming to Syfy in 2013

The only thing I don't really like is the evil Mayor wanting to destroy the town. Other than that it could become a quirky show similar to Eureka.

I watched the first episode...well, the first hour...and enjoyed it well enough that I would have tuned in the next week. I wasn't thrilled...but it was enough (which is more than I can say for Bates Motel). Unfortunately, instead of ending, another hour of the show came on...and about midway through I was really bored and looking for something else to do. My brain tuned out enough that I didn't bother to watch the next week.

Greatly enjoying the show. The last episode was pretty good too. It's nice to learn more about the cultures of the aliens.

Liked this week's episode. It wasn't very arc-driven but instead focused on character development; which suits me fine.

For the first time like ever, McCawley-Tarr relations took a positive turn; admittedly on false grounds. Great to see that Alak at least picked up on it - even if he is a complete wuss or has at least lousy instincts - though once again, Christie remains oblivious to the duplicity. Or maybe she deliberately went along with it; seeing it as a white lie to help bring her father around. That said, Datak is an absolute badass. Plus, despite detesting humans, his protectiveness of Christie (assuming that bit was an intentional choice by the creators) shows he at least has a chivalrous side to him.

Another positive about the episode is the return of the biker gang. I blame it on the hat but the leader is probably one of the coolest and most memorable looking characters I've seen in awhile. Given the developments in this episode, I hope this means we'll be seeing more of them. Sad to see his second-in-command go though. What brief snippet we got to see of their relationships looked to be quite interesting and mirroring Nolan and Irisa's.

Speaking of Irisa, the one development I am wary of in this episode is the discovery of Irisa's "gift". While it served a purpose in the plot and to drive a wedge in her relationship with Nolan, I am worried that it is the start of a slippery slope with the show featuring more and more psychic powers like telepathy, telekinesis and the like; be it unique to Irisa alone (resulting in a case of "chosen one" syndrome for the show) or with other psychic characters showing up. Up until now, the show had gone with a more down-to-earth approach with its setting; featuring aliens that while having different technologies and cultures than humans, don't possess exotic "powers".

Also, I hope the show will revisit this at some point further down the line and provide us with a little more elaboration and explanation as it did come out of left field in an overly convenient to the plot manner. Also, I'm not sure if this is the interpretation I was meant to take from it but I'm wondering if the reason why Irisa's visions had been getting worse ever since they settled down in Defiance is due to the huge amounts of suffering Irathients experienced there in in the past. If so, I liked the show's subtlety in referencing its own lore.

Lastly, I think someone needs to start a counter on the number of times Irisa shows up in a tight crop top or sports bra on this show. :D

Decent episode again, its an ok show so far, but has yet to have a really, really good episode, we'll see I guess.

Man, I felt bad for Nolan. He has no clue how to take care of Irisa during this thing she's going through. It's too alien for him. I can see how he would feel he's losing her to her people.

Yeah, suck it Terra Nova! :twisted:

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Not a lot of "defying" going on. Still liking the show, not loving it. Hopefully it picks up. Anyone play the video game? Is it worth picking up?

This show gets better each week. These past two episodes have been great.

Highway robbery.

We're following Nolan as he tries to stop Sukar's "evil plan." Meanwhile, pale mother & hooker are getting it on. Aw, we missed a good show.

Glad Sukar isn't completely gone. I like the guy.

So is Sukar healed at the end?

He was conscious so...?

brain dead/damaged according to the doc. might be paralysed as well. if somehow those nanos come online again. he can recover.

Best episode of the season so far loved it

Loved the juxtaposition between technology and mysticism.

Damn that sucks for Sukar. Maybe when Irisa becomes one with Irzu or whatever, lol, she'll save him.

I think I missed some details, if someone care to explain why :
- there are ships wreckage in orbit
- where does Sukar nanites comes from ( I didn't quite understood the doc explanation ).

Sukars nanites came from the fragment that hit him. Apparently he was hit by a fragment of a ships brain which was still trying to carry out all it's orders.

Decent episode, its slowly getting better, though of the shows I have watched this year its definately the worst one.

It seems like its building upto something though, and next season could be interesting.

I think I missed some details, if someone care to explain why :
- there are ships wreckage in orbit
Those ships were carrying the collective Votan alien races who were all in hypersleep. They were supposed to be transported to an uninhabited planet where the ships would begin terraforming the planet to be suitable for the aliens. They were sent to Earth instead. There was negotiations between Earth and the Votan Collective about what to do. I think they were trying to find a way to have the aliens live on Earth alongside humans. There was a catastrophe though, and just about all the ark ships in orbit were destroyed. Thats what led to the war between humans and the votans.

- where does Sukar nanites comes from ( I didn't quite understood the doc explanation ).
The destroyed ships in Earth's orbit are controlled by something called an Ark brain. Theyre filled with a bunch of nanomachines.

lol @ everyone wanting Kenya. Maybe Irisa and deep down even her sister want her too. I see a sub plot forming with the woman she sends in her place. That woman must be tired of the rejection she receives when customers find her instead of Kenya.

Those sneaky Voltans. Replacing humans with carbon copies to infiltrate the highest government office possible. Wonder how many are there and if they have succeeded? Hope the plague is resolved sooner so Nolan can get back to questioning the doc about it. Been waiting for the show to dig deeper into her past since that one guy called her out a few episodes back.

Kenya's got a magic hoo-hoo. Yes, I said hoo-hoo.

Yes, we need more info on the doctor's past during the war. Seems like she did some seriously messed up things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"