Did anyone see 1989's movie in theaters?

Hordakfan

Civilian
Reaction score
I did when i was 8 about 5 times and loved it, i had the merchandise such as shoes, action figures, poster, program magazine, cards, coloring books, novel, comic adaptation, t-shirts, lunchbox, coffee mug, VHS movie for christmas, NES game for christmas, a bank Taco Bell cups. I even ate the cereal and cookies of Batman, then i watched reruns of the campy but cool 60's show and read the comics including my big brothers comics as i was turned into a certified batman fan as it did to every 80s child who saw the film in theaters.

I even saw the sequel 4 times in theaters when i was 11 as i had the merchandise to that movie including the SNES game with VHS film for christmas and watched TAS religiously every after school after Tiny Toons.

Thanks to Burton's movies, i have became the fan of Batman i am today.

Who else had the same experience like i did?

I saw it with my friend Muddy.

Oh I was about 14-15 and just the first time I went, I saw it 3 times in a row.

Where I live it was released for our summer, which was around 6 months after its American release date. You'll understand that, without internet and such, I couldn't wait to see it. I was really scared I wouldn't like it. But no.

I'm afraid my immaculate conception was still a few years off but I've seen the Shadow of the bat documentary from the 80s. It was pretty cool to see the massive lines at the theaters and all of the merchandise about. Reminded me of Star Wars fandom.

Yes, but as a small child. I remember more of seeing Batman Returns.

I was a kid when I saw it, and was completely blown away. (I thought that Joker was really scary .)

I saw it in the theatre on the first day of release, when i was about 13 or 14. I was already a Batman fan thanks to the comics, and had been since i was a small child. I was really disapointed with the movie, I was expecting it to be as good as the first two Superman movies, but it wasn't.
I didn't get all negative about it at the time though, I focused on the positive aspects of the film when talking about it, and enjoyed those when I finally got the vhs.
It was only when I got on the internet boards that I finally let loose with all the problems I had with the movie, haha.

I saw it in the theatre on the first day of release, when i was about 13 or 14. I was already a Batman fan thanks to the comics, and had been since i was a small child. I was really disapointed with the movie, I was expecting it to be as good as the first two Superman movies, but it wasn't.

Agreed.

Of course, the camp-fest Batman Returns was even worse.

Why are we discussing the opinions of the Burton films when the topic is if anyone saw Batman 1989 in Theaters?

Eh, the OP asked people about their experiences seeing it too so that would include if they liked it or not after seeing it in theaters.

Though I admit my second reply about STM/B'89 was not fully on topic.

Why are we discussing the opinions of the Burton films when the topic is if anyone saw Batman 1989 in Theaters?

Every thread in the Misc. section becomes "Ethics: The great '89 Keaton Batman and Bale Batman debate".

Really, the misc. section should just become the 1989 Batman section, that's all that's discussed. Maybe make a separate misc. section.

The Dark Knight Rises (Spoilers)
Who will Batman face next time?

The Dark Knight Rises (Non-Spoilers)
A spoiler-free discussion about the next film.

clear.gif
The Dark Knight
Talk about the Batman Begins sequel.

Batman Begins
Talk about Warner Bros.' film on the Dark Knight

Batman 1989
Talk about the first film.

Misc. Batman Films
Talk about the past 3 feature films.

Bat-World
Got Batman stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else? Enter Bat-World...

The Comics
Chat about the comics universe.

Products
Stay up-to-date on the latest goods.

Last edited:
Wow, are you serious?:wow:

Yes sir.

I was 16 the summer of 89. Seemed like every weekend I was going with someone to see it. Also, once it hit the cheap $2 theatre, a friend and me would go just for the heck of it. Bored? Lets go see Batman. Once it was released on VHS, I had no reason to go to the theatre anymore.

I was only nine so my local cinema wouldn't let me and my friend in to watch it. I sought solace by spending all my money on the Batman collector cards/candy at the newsagent around the corner.

Yes sir.

I was 16 the summer of 89. Seemed like every weekend I was going with someone to see it. Also, once it hit the cheap $2 theatre, a friend and me would go just for the heck of it. Bored? Lets go see Batman. Once it was released on VHS, I had no reason to go to the theatre anymore.

Oh I was the same. In fact, year or so after the release, some theaters would show it with some other "action" movies and I would go and see some crappy karate movies just tom watch Batman twice a day. It turned out I didn't have vhs or anything of the like so it was theater for me or nothing.

Man I was only 6 months old at the time. I was probably like 3 or 4 when I first watched it on VHS.

I feel like a shameful n00b compared to you faithful servants of the bat. I did first watch the Batman movies as a little kid but I didn't become a big fan and love the previous movies until 2005 when I was about 12. Those were the good old glory days:o

No kiddin'.

I have said lots of positive things about the movie on the boards as well.

TruerToTheCore said:
Agreed.

Of course, the camp-fest Batman Returns was even worse.

I actually came out of my first screening of BR totally buzzing, on a real superhero high, it was mainly due to the fact I thought they'd done Catwoman very well, and had all these Batman type scenes i wanted to see onscreen, him and CW fighting on the rooftops for one.

I watched all 3 of the 89-95 movies far too much on vhs throughout the 90s, I never watch them now, apart from BF every once in a while.
I was actually waiting a while before I look at BR again, I know you have a problem with the Catwoman depiction, but aye, if I look at it again soon, I'll post some thoughts in the BR thread and you can always comment, instead of taking this offtopic.

El Payaso: I have not forgotten about replying to the rest of your BM89 thread post, I look forward to answering in depth, as there is some interesting moral issues and such up for discussion there, but am a bit too knckered to do it now.

I was only nine so my local cinema wouldn't let me and my friend in to watch it. I sought solace by spending all my money on the Batman collector cards/candy at the newsagent around the corner.

Aw man, i would have went nuts, like, really genuinely upset if i had been too young to see the film in theatres back then. In the Uk they actually brought in a new rating '12', when Batman was released, so older kids could see it. If they hadn't, i would have been too young, as it would have been a '15'.
and concerning all the memoribilia...i have told this one before, but i'll tell it again, two of my pals and i skipped school one afternoon in 89, and my pal grabbed a whole rack of Batman magnets off the counter of a shop in the town centre. I always remember running through an alley and turning to see him falling on his arse holding the rack sof magnets, me and the other pal kept running thinking he would catch up, but he didn't.
I met him at his house that night though, and got a couple of magnets off him, a batmobile, a joker, and a batsymbol.

Last edited:
I didn't become a Batman fan until Returns. I missed out on seeing this one back in the day.

aw, y'know, the more i hear of fans like this, the more desperate they sound, what a shame that the cinema owners are wise to all the tricks now, so you can't sneak in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"