Superman Returns Did you like it better than Man of Steel

Ultron-5

Sidekick
Reaction score
I like them both, but I like Superman Returns more mostly because Man of Steel, while it's still a good movie, is kind of dark for a Superman movie. It has good parts but I don't think Superman should be so dark and gritty. So much destruction and death in that movie too. Superman was literally throwing and punching Zod through buildings. I think Superman Returns had more of a Superman feel to it, so I like it better than Man of Steel.

Last edited:
Both movies were not that great in my opinion, but if I had to pick a winner I'd choose Man of Steel.

I'm sure there was a thread just like this somewhere in Superman forums.

For me, both movies have something that I associate with Superman but at the same time both movies also have flaws.

I loved Man Of Steel from an action point of view. It was nice to see Superman punch something for once.

I also love Superman Returns from a character point of view. Superman pretty much had everything thrown at him. Lois saying she didn't love him, Lex Luthor never went to prison, finding there was nothing left of his home planet. Yet he still shows why he's a hero. Those are the kind of character arcs I love seeing.

All of the Superman films are great in some way(minus III and IV). It's really hard for me to pick which one was the best.

The perfect Superman movies lies somewhere midway between the two. I'll give an edge to Man of Steel but I still watch and quite enjoy Returns.

Man of Steel had some huge flaws and overall I wasn't happy with it.

Superman Returns, on the other hand, was entirely garbage throughout. Wouldn't watch it again unless I was paid to.

I loved Man Of Steel from an action point of view. It was nice to see Superman punch something for once.

I also love Superman Returns from a character point of view. Superman pretty much had everything thrown at him. Lois saying she didn't love him, Lex Luthor never went to prison, finding there was nothing left of his home planet. Yet he still shows why he's a hero. Those are the kind of character arcs I love seeing.

All of the Superman films are great in some way(minus III and IV). It's really hard for me to pick which one was the best.
I agree .
Especially the part about III and IV , they were the worst

SUPERMAN: SOME PERSONAL REFLECTIONS

He Keeps Popping Into My Life

Part 1:

I watched some of the 2006 movie Superman Returns one evening this week. It was early February 2014, mid-summer in Australia with Valentine's Day just around the corner. Watching the movie gave me a brief visit into fantasy-land, and the experience of some personal nostalgia. I had watched some of this same TV film nearly four years ago on 19 June 2010, so my notes informed me. I decided to write this prose-poem providing a personal perspective on this superhero.

Superman is a fictional character, a superhero that appeared in comic books first published in the 1930s by DC Comics. Superman is now considered, and has been for decades, an American cultural icon, and that means, of course, that he/the image has acquired an immense popularity.

Superman first appeared in a short story entitled: "The Reign of the Superman" in 1932. In that same year, in July 1932, a dozen years before I was even born, the Heroic Age of the Baha'i Faith was closed with the passing of Bahiyyih Khanum, the daughter of the Founder of the Baha'i Faith. I make this obviously somewhat tangential comment because of personal interests in my life that synchronize with the cinematic life of superman.

According to Bahá’ís, every dispensation has one particular holy woman or "immortal heroine". In the time of Jesus it was the Virgin Mary, the time of Muhammad it was his daughter Fatima Zahra, and during the Báb’s dispensation it was Táhirih. Bahá’ís believe that Bahíyyih Khánum is the outstanding heroine of the Bahá’í dispensation. This, of course, has nothing to do with Superman. But the syncronicity of Superman's first appearance in popular culture with a particular aspect of the history of a Faith I have now been associated with for more than 60 years, was of more than a little personal interest. I do not expect this to have any special interest to others.

Part 2:

Superman was also created, so we are informed, by two high school students in Cleveland Ohio, in 1933. By then, the Baha'i community's 9 month period of mourning, which began with the passing of this holy woman, had ended. The comic character, Superman, was sold to Detective Comics, Inc. in 1938. By this time the formal and systematic teaching Plan of the Baha'i community had just begun.

Superman now has an 82-year history(1932-2014). He appeared in comic books, his central texts in the 1930s and 1940s, followed by the George Reeves' 1950 television serials. I was too young to remember those comic-books, but I do recall some of the episodes of that TV series back in the early to mid-'50s before my mother sold our TV to, hopefully, ensure her son was not tempted into triviality on a daily basis.

In the late 1970s and 1980s Christopher Reeve films rewired the entire Superman canon. The Lois and Clark television series of the 1990s was framed as yet another central Superman text. The Crisis on Infinite Earths(2001) and The Man of Steel (1986) comic book series rebooted the entire Superman-mythos, framing a range of sources. These resources were further extended by Superman Returns, as we are informed at that reliable source Wikipedia.

Part 3:

In 2001, the Smallville television series was launched, focusing on the adventures of Clark Kent as a teenager before he donned the mantle of Superman. I watched some of these episodes after I had retired from a 50 year student-and-employment life: 1949 to 1999. Adaptation to various media by any literary or art form depends on a dialogue or oscillation between those media. If I engaged in a cross-media study of Superman, I could look back at the more than three-quarters of a century genesis of this trans-media dialogue. But that is not my purpose in this brief prose-poem.

Part 4:

Superman was first conceived, as I say above, in 1932 and was arguably western civilization’s first superhero. Superman was first portrayed as a villain named Bill Dunn who was later revisioned into a good guy for more popular appeal. Originally, Superman was produced as a syndicated newspaper strip, which ran from June 1938 until May 1966, before being revived between 1977 and 1983.

Until the 1980s, comic books had largely been ignored by media theorists, except as scapegoats in media-effects debates. But comic books are on the cards for analysis by culture theorists in this new millennium. -Ron Price with thanks to Richard Berger, “Are There Any More at Home Like You?” in the Journal of Adaptation in Film & Performance, Volume 1 Number 2, 2008.

Part 5:

Why he’s been around since our Plan
began in the 1930s and 1940s. But no
one had any idea that the lifespan of
this superhero went along with the life-
span of this super-Plan that would, in
time, take the world by storm as the hero
Superman certainly did over the 82 years.

Why I remember those comic books,
and the TV programs way back in the
1950s when I was knee-high to those
grasshoppers....and the Baha’is were
in that Ten Year program that took a
new Faith to where it is today in some
200 countries, the second most spread
religion on the planet, so they tell me.(1)

Part 6:

(1) The term "Superman" derives from a common English translation of the term Ubermensch which originated with Friedrich Nietzsche's statement, "Ich lehre euch den Übermenschen" ("I will teach you the Superman"). These words appeared in Nietzsche's 1883 work Also Sprach Zarathustra. Baha'u'llah was released from strict confinement in the prison city of Akka in that same year to begin the last decade of His earthly life, as Charismatic-Founder of the newest, the latest, of the Abrahamic religions.

The term "Superman" was popularized by George Bernard Shaw with his 1903 play Man and Superman; this was the same year as the approval of the building of the mother-temple of the West in Chicago was given by 'Abdul-Baha. The character Jane Porter refers to Tarzan as a "superman" in the 1912 pulp novel Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

The originator of Superman would later name Tarzan as an influence on the creation of his own Superman. Abdul-Baha went on His Western tour that year, a super-human effort by a 68 year old man in the evening of His life. I saw one or two, or more, of the Tarzan films starring Johnny Weissmuller back in the 1950s.

Ron Price
14/7/'09 to 17/2/'14.

Note: First updated after watching Superman Returns on Australian TV 19 June 2010, and finalized, I trust, on 17/2/'14.

I like Man of Steel more I would ultimately have to say. I am just curious as to if anyone else wishes they wold have made just one more Bryan Singer Superman movie? I know a lot of Superman Returns was an extremely slow and drawn out plot with no major "kick-assery", but in my opinion there was a lot going for it. It had a great Lex, great Jimmy, decent Lois, and Brandon Routh was actually very convincing at what they were going for, a Christopher Reeve continuance. Another thing is that doing research in to what the plot of the second one would be like I found that it would be called "Superman: The Man of Steel", and it would feature Brainiac and Darkseid and focus on action more that anything. I just don't understand what they didn't make it. The movie passed all markers that were set to reach to make a sequel but... NOTHING!? I just don't understand. Does anyone else feel they should have at least made an attempt?

i totally agree with you ^
i loved Routh in the role, and Spacey was good too. Hated the kid element, but i was ready for a sequel.

Brainiac or Darkseid as the villain would have been amazing.

The perfect Superman movies lies somewhere midway between the two. I'll give an edge to Man of Steel but I still watch and quite enjoy Returns.

I think that this is the fairest and most honest answer I've ever read about this.

...and me...not too fair...and too honest...

SR is my second all-time fave Superman movie. And if only the script would've been a little better - it only lacked punch (pun intended) at the end. Luthor's Kryptonian technology = the power suit that he has in comics dukes it out with Superman. That would've been great. If they'd done that - the sequel was in the pocket.
Still, I love the Salkinds' series that made Superman a nice guy, a leader, a confident person who believes people are good in a World where the good guys (Jor-El) dress in white and the evil guys (Zod) dress in black. Simple.
The other thing is Brandon Routh - people said he looked like Chris Reeve. Nope. Brandon Routh naturally looks like Chris Reeve in his Superman makeup and wig. As Clark Kent - even though the participation was minimal - he is totally natural in it. Not only is the look great but, he's not totally nerdy and he's not that tough guy like George Reeves.

Cons MOS... I thought that at least when he'd be Clark (with glasses) he'd send his hair in the front - a little like Spock or so - in the air - because even though they don't want (too much) to walk into the previous super-boots, you can't change some things. One of these things is that Clark and Superman are 2 different people - well - for the people "into" the movie - but - not for the zillions of viewers...

P!erre!

Superman Returns is boring and pathetic. The plot is full of non sense.

No Man of Steel was better in every single regard, acting, fx, flow, etc.

The ultimate problem with Superman Returns was it was quite boring, fortunately though it does have some elements that worth Routh as Superman, Spacey as Lex, the score and the unbelievable plane sequence (which is still one of my favourite scenes from any movie ever).

The film is actually flowing quite well up until the end of that plane sequence, then it just drops into bad move and bad move. It's no coincidence that at this point is when Kate Bosworth's Lois Lane becomes a focal point and my god is she so wrong for that role. The kid element is truly awful aswell and just a terrible terrible idea.

Still there's good moments in the last hour, the elevator change and the saving of Metropolis. It's just unfortunate that we are then led to a Superman beat down on an island of Kryptonite. Lex talks of having advanced alien technology yet he never uses any. Would it not have been better to have had a finale with Superman fighting Lex & his goons using Kryptonian tech? I certainly think so.

The idea of Superman Returning was a good one it was just executed very blandly.

Man of Steel on the other hand have us a journey that flowed, one where we followed Clark from beginning to his becoming Superman. It just trounces SRs in every way possible.

The kid element is truly awful aswell and just a terrible terrible idea.

I'm pretty divided on the kid... on a thematic level, I think he has a pretty defined purpose and it's admirable that the movie has something genuinely new to say about Superman: that he's not alone, there's someone else like him on Earth... his own son, whom he'll have to teach the wisdom he learned from both his Earth and Krypton dads. Jor-El's speech from S:TM never made more sense than then:

"You will make my strength your own, you will see my life through your eyes as your life will be seen through mine. The son becomes the father..."

He's also there as a living symbol of Lois and Superman's connection. Even if they can't be together, they have this little guy who is the child of two worlds and represents the best of both. By having her son, Superman is finally and genuinely connected to Earth.

On the other hand, they would have had to deal with it for the long haul, and that's where it became a bad idea, because nobody wants to see the adventures of Superman and Son. So it is what it is. I guess in that way it's a good thing they never made a sequel.

That's probably the main reason why it never happened. As mentioned above, they had the general plot, villains... and I guess no idea what to do with the kid. Though I think I would have enjoyed another Singer Superman film.

I preferred Superman Returns.

Man of Steel is fun, but it lacks the heart, maturity and storytelling of the underrated Superman Returns.

I preferred Superman Returns. Man Of Steel had a better villain though.

I definitely preferred Superman Returns to Man of Steel, shame about never getting a sequel.

I feel like there is more potential going forward with MOS than there was with Superman Returns.

I think that this is the fairest and most honest answer I've ever read about this.

Totally agree with that. Perhaps the best thing ever said when comparing the two. Too bad we'd never see that film!

I would like to take the space shuttle rescue and rooftop with Lois sequence and stick it into MOS.

Yes. I'm re watching it now and there is so much here that works, despite a few poor choices.

I feel like there is more potential going forward with MOS than there was with Superman Returns.

I'll agree with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"