Superman Returns Did you like it better than Man of Steel

No. Superman Returns is just a bad film overall with a couple cool scenes in it. The story itself is dumb and cartoonish.

Thought I'd watch this finally since HBO is getting rid of it. Tonally and score-wise, it's decent but the story is nothing to write home about at all. The bald guy is evil, Lois is conflicted, and Superman is a hero who does heroic stuff.

For a 150 minute movie, it barely explores the Superman mythos. It doesn't do the character any favors in re-envisioning him for a modern audience the way MOS did. Or even the way Nolan did, who cheated Batman out of his mythos too, but still managed to make the character new and interesting.

Superman Returns falls into the familiar trap of reflecting on Superman sorely as a cartoonish idea, one that feels afraid to embrace him as a character and let us get closer to him emotionally. Superman must always smile! No. It's why I'm glad MOS took a serious approach. Yes he has all these powers and he's invincible, but he's ultimately alone and feels like he has to hide who he is to fit in - a feeling anyone can relate to.

I'm actually watching this now, well the Restored fan edit which is by far my favourite cut of the movie. It doesn't make the film into a masterpiece but it improves a lot of the films problems by adding deleted scenes and removing stuff that was either unnecessary or made characters look bad (Superman stalking Lois for example).

Thought I'd watch this finally since HBO is getting rid of it. Tonally and score-wise, it's decent but the story is nothing to write home about at all. The bald guy is evil, Lois is conflicted, and Superman is a hero who does heroic stuff.

For a 150 minute movie, it barely explores the Superman mythos. It doesn't do the character any favors in re-envisioning him for a modern audience the way MOS did. Or even the way Nolan did, who cheated Batman out of his mythos too, but still managed to make the character new and interesting.

Superman Returns falls into the familiar trap of reflecting on Superman sorely as a cartoonish idea, one that feels afraid to embrace him as a character and let us get closer to him emotionally. Superman must always smile! No. It's why I'm glad MOS took a serious approach. Yes he has all these powers and he's invincible, but he's ultimately alone and feels like he has to hide who he is to fit in - a feeling anyone can relate to.

You're gonna have to explain that to me? Do you mean becaus he made a trilogy of films and retired Batman? Because pretty much everything in the Nolan films is very faithful to various Batman comics.

Yeah, basically. I didn't like that he was Batman only for a short amount of time.

As for Superman Returns, I'll admit - there's some good material in the third act with Superman and Lex. I even kinda like using Jason lol. But the pacing was definitely off, imo. Was hard to care by that point. Maybe I'll look into this fan edit.

Yeah, basically. I didn't like that he was Batman only for a short amount of time.

I can understand that, I felt the same way but now we're getting BvS it doesn't bother me haha

As for Superman Returns, I'll admit - there's some good material in the third act with Superman and Lex. I even kinda like using Jason lol. But the pacing was definitely off, imo. Was hard to care by that point. Maybe I'll look into this fan edit.

There is some great stuff in this film.

The fan edit is called Superman Restored, definitely check it out.

I'm actually watching this now, well the Restored fan edit which is by far my favourite cut of the movie. It doesn't make the film into a masterpiece but it improves a lot of the films problems by adding deleted scenes and removing stuff that was either unnecessary or made characters look bad (Superman stalking Lois for example).
How does that make him look anymore bad than anything other versions of the character done?

God bless you! God bless everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"