Director of the Decade

Del Toro, Coen Brothers, Nolan and Edgar Wright among mainstream filmmakers.

Jackson is overrated imo, although I do love his movies-I even liked his KK remake after a few viewings.

I like Zhang better than any of them, but that's just me.

I think Jason Reitman should get more love here too.

While I agree that there has been better work than the lord of the rings in this decade, I remain by the point that the LotR trilogy is more memorable over all, and it is closely associated with Peter Jackson.

I mean Clint Eastwood has had a steady stream of very solid movies, but many people I know, my self included, those films are not the most memorable, and with the exception of the ones he actually acts in, his name is not particularly what comes to mind when they think of the movie.

I can totally dig the scorcese argument though, him and Di Caprio have had quite the thing going, shutter island would have been a good cap to a decade of collaboration, but perhaps now being moved to next year it will be the kick off to another 10 years of great work.

Martin Scrocese will get a nod every decade and I think The Aviator and The Departed are two of his best films so....Also, if Shutter Island is as good as it looks, I'm counting it as another win for him in this decade.

The Coen Brothers get a nod for No, Country for Old Men, O, Brother Where Art Thou (my personal favroite of their's) and I actually liked Intolerable Cruelty a lot. Though I didn't care for Burn After Reading, but most loved it.

Clint Eastwood has had an amazing decade with the masterpieces of Mystic River and Letters from Iwo Jima, as well as slew of good to great films like Gran Torino, Changeling and Flags of our Fathers. The only Eastwood film I didn't like, is of course the won he won the Oscar for this year (Million Dollar Baby).

-Alfonso Curon: Y Tu Mama Tambien and Children of Men. 'Nuff said.

-Paul Thomas Anderson: Sure, There Will Be Blood may be his only film thsi decade. But it was that bloody good. Indeed.

up-and-coming directors from the decade there are several of great note:

-Peter Jackson. Yes he did really only three films (I count LOTR as one here) and all of them were CGI-laden, but he proved they can still be great movies under that circumstance.

-Christopher Nolan. Memento is a masterpiece. Insomnia, Batman Begins and The Prestige were all great films. And then The Dark Knight is probably the best blockbuster of the decade and an instant classic. He is going places.

-Edgar Wright: Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are two of the funniest movies of the decade and show the talent of an auteur just coming into his full range. I expect a lot more from him in the future in terms of classic comedy.

-Jason Reitman: A breath of fresh air in Hollywood. Thank You, For Smoking is one of the most clever films in recent memory and Juno was a heart-warming family film that was poignant and honest as opposed to schmulzy and contrived. Up In The Air looks to be another great film from him.

-Joe Wright: Pride & Prejudice was excellent, Atonement was great and haunting and The Soloist...well he has a lot of room to grow.

And then directors who had a great film this decade, though not as many otherwise deserve mentioning. Baz Luhrman for the masterpiece that is Moulin Rouge; Tim Burton for Sweeney Todd (and Big Fish was quite good too); Speilberg, though not at his best had several really good movies this decade (Minority Report, Catch Me if You Can and his best this time around, Munich); Del Toro gave us Pan's Labyrinth; Ridley Scott for Gladiator (and all his other movies were quite good, but not great from this decade); Ron Howard for A Beautiful Mind; Quentin Tarantino for Inglourious Basterds and to a much lesser degree, Kill Bill; whoever made The Assassination of Jesse James (sorry his name escapes me right now); and there are many others I am sure.

You guys are just lucky Sam Rockwell hasn't directed any movies. :o

idk man lumping lotr into one movie over simplifies it, the different films thought filmed at the same time, faced different challenges.

Even though Iron Giant came out in 1999, I will nominate Brad Bird for The Incredibles and Ratatouille. Both are classics.

LOTR will always be behind SW to me because it was an adaption, not an original work. But I think it sat the standard for adaptions as far as faithfulness to the source material.

Peter Jackson was selected as on of the Top Entertainers of the Decade by Entertainment Weekly

LOTR will always be behind SW to me because it was an adaption, not an original work. But I think it sat the standard for adaptions as far as faithfulness to the source material.

I also think that Peter Jackson did his best to build that connection and sense of adventure to the movie going audience. He did his best without resorting to do a mini-series, I think.

However, there were parts where I felt like the films were 'going through the motions' because it's following the book. You never get to know the characters as well because of the details are in the books.

Because the original Star Wars movies were made for the screen, all the things that you needed to know were presented on screen.

I'm not trying to discredit Lord of the Rings as a whole, mind you. I liked them but I don't love them. I feel like the people who do like them mostl likely like the books too.

I love the films more than the books actually. As much as the books are great, the films gave me this emotional response that I never got from the books. There's just this wonder and awe about seeing all of this on screen done so well. Not to mention that it's damn well made.

What does being an adaptation have to do with a film's quality? :huh:... I understand if someone likes SW trilogy more than LOTRs but this reason is pretty silly.

Star Wars could be seen as an adaption as most of the concepts and characters come from a variety of places, even the Lord of the Rings.

Nice avatar Doc Jones and it reminds me int chronological order, the best villains of hte decade in cinema. Five best:

Bill the Butcher (Daniel Day-Lewis)
Anton Chirguh (Javier Bardem)
Daniel Plainview (Dainel Day-Lewis)...iffy I know
The Joker (Heath Ledger)
Hans Landa (Cristoph Waltz)

Pretty classic, indeed.

Film wise I always put Star Wars ahead simply because in way the film versions of LOTR were inspired by Star Wars. The epic battles and the cinematography among other elements happened because of Star Wars. But I agree that Star Wars was also partly inspired by the LOTR books.
Star Wars could be seen as an adaption as most of the concepts and characters come from a variety of places, even the Lord of the Rings.

Star Wars is an expanded on adaptation of Akira Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress. It also borrowed heavily from Greek Mythology and he got help from the philosophy book The Hero with a Thousand Faces, but like you said, the number of inspirations for Star Wars are endless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philippe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"