Director of the Decade

I'd probably go with Jackson or Scorsese myself, but more "for your consideration".

Werner Herzog - Grizzly Man, Encounters at the End of the World, Rescue Dawn, along with a few others. Some love The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans. I'm interested in My Son My Son What Have Ye Done.

Alfonso Cuaron - Y Tu Mama Tambien, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and Children of Men

Chan-Wook Park - J. S. A. Joint Security Area, Sympathy for Mr. Vengenance, Oldboy, Lady Vengeance, Thirst

Pedro Almodovar - Talk to Her, Bad Education, Volver, Broken Embraces

Guillermo Del Toro - The Devil's Backbone, Pan's Labyrinth, Blade II, Hellboy I and II

Wes Anderson - The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, The Darjeeling Limited, Fantastic Mr. Fox

Andrew Stanton - Finding Nemo, Wall-E

Brad Bird - The Incredibles, Ratatouille

I'd go for maybe Guillermo del Toro, some great movies he's done and two of the finest comic book movies ever made (Hellboy & Hellboy II) not to mention the best of the Blade series (Blade II), Pan's Labyrinth, & the Devil's Backbone. Love to say Joss Whedon but he's only done one movie but what an amazing movie it was ;) :grin:

I know maybe not the best but Bryan Singer I quite like, responsible for X-Men (great not to mention kick started comic-book movies again), X2 (even more great), Superman Returns (great in my opinion), & Valkyrie (pretty decent).

Last edited:
Yeah. Nolan. His amount of quality films in one decade is bordering on Hitchcockian.

Peter Jackson. Even if you didn't like King Kong, he still managed to make an INCREDIBLE Lord of the Rings trilogy. Also, most trilogies have a weak link, but Lord of the Rings actually managed to get better with each installment, which drove people bonkers when it came out since they couldn't believe that the next one would be even better, but they managed to do it anyway. The guy came out of as close to no-where as you can get, and managed to put New Zealand on the map.

Guillermo Del Toro. He's taken off so much over the past 10 years that his slate for the next 10 is already completely full. He's got the Hobbit movies coming up next, and so on. He's also perhaps got the best eye for visuals out there. And finally, Troll Market. 'Nuff said.

Peter Jackson gets my vote, for reasons that have already been said in this thread. Christopher Nolan would be pretty high on my list too, now that I finally watched Memento a few weeks ago (one of the best films I've ever seen).

I'd pick either Peter Jackson (LOTR trilogy, King Kong, District 9 (as a producer), The Lovely Bones) or Chris Nolan (BB, TDK, Insomnia, The Prestige, Memento), and it's hard to pick between the two.

I think Jackson and Nolan for me.

Nolan has yet to make a bad film. And I can't see that happening yet. Hopefully is Inception is just as good. My favorite Non Nolan Bat film is The Prestige.

Uh, no Ridley Scott? Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Matchstick Men, Kingdom of Heaven: DC, American Gangster and Body of Lies! Wassa madda you people!?!?!

:up: At the guy who mentioned Stallone. It took balls and brains to take two completely dead and overdone franchises and inject one with new life and give another the classiest franchise ending in history. He should've directed Die Hard 4.0 and Terminator Salvation too.

Peter Jackson. Even if you didn't like King Kong, he still managed to make an INCREDIBLE Lord of the Rings trilogy. Also, most trilogies have a weak link, but Lord of the Rings actually managed to get better with each installment, which drove people bonkers when it came out since they couldn't believe that the next one would be even better, but they managed to do it anyway. The guy came out of as close to no-where as you can get, and managed to put New Zealand on the map.

Peter Jackson's a good director but he hasn't really done anything since The Lord of the Rings trilogy in terms of directing. I didn't like King Kong, and I'm still not sold on the Lovely Bones. I'm not saying he's a bad director, but there are many more deserving directors who has done more, like Clint Eastwood and Christopher Nolan.

I thought it was the best director of the last 10 years...so would the movies we list have to be within those last 10 years?

Because, I'm tempted to list Nolan...although I know someone will attack him because two of those films aren't "real" movies and just "genre" movies for "nerds". I still think comic book films are fighting for respect, but he's helped.

Clint Eastwood probably wins out, though. I mean...he's done alot of films in the last 10 years, hasn't he? He's like a Cal Ripken Jr., never taking much time off.

I'm torn between Ridley Scott, Clint Eastwood and Martin Scorsese

my list:

Peter Jackson
Christopher Nolan
Chan-Wook Park
Alfonso Cuaron
Wes Anderson
Paul Thomas Anderson

Ridley Scott, Martin Scorsese and Clint Eastwood (directors who managed to make it alright decade after decade. Can't say the same for the likes of Walter Hill, John Carpenter, or even Francis Ford Coppolla)

Worth Mentioning:

Guillermo Del Toro (I felt that his Hellboy movies make his body of work...uneven)

we should make a thread of of directors who were good in the past decades but had uneven pieces of work during the 2000s.

Jackson and Nolan for sure.

I love Del Toros films, but I have a feeling that his defining works will come in the next 10 years, If he pulls off even half of the things hes said that plans to it will be quite the decade indeed

This decade belongs to Martin Scorsese. Ridley Scott did make a bunch of great films this decade, but he also had a few big misses. Scorsese was pretty much at the top of his game all decade long. Not scattered. Two of his best films came this decade in Gangs of New York and The Departed, and considering his track record, that says something. Plus, he won that elusive Oscar that he should have won many times over.

Del Toro did well, but Blade 2 was nothing special.

Nolan has a potential argument for this since he made the biggest film and now is huge. But, I don't think TDK is as good as Gangs of New York personally.

Paul Thomas Anderson made one of, if not the, best film of the decade, but he works so little that it hurts his argument. There Will Be Blood is an absolute work of genius in everyway, but was Punch Drunk Love that good? And does it make up for the fact he doesn't get consistant work like a bunch of other directors in the mix? I don't think so.

This is why I go with Scorsese. Creatively he has an argument. Award wise he has an argument. Bank wise he has an argument (The Departed was huge at the BO...bigger than most films of that type of genre). He has the most argument categories covered, so I think he wins.

Stallone brought two worn out stories out of mothballs...and, in turn, made them a breath of fresh air. Excellent work from a man that is usually the punchline of many jokes.

I look forward to The Expendables, new Rambo, and the Hunter. He will then have another chapter as respected director...if he isn't already.

I think Jackson and Nolan for me.

Nolan has yet to make a bad film. And I can't see that happening yet. Hopefully is Inception is just as good. My favorite Non Nolan Bat film is The Prestige.

QFT, and I agree 100% with your post. Jackson and Nolan are simply the defining moments of the decade, pop-culture wise. I mean, you still have directors like Scorcese, del Toro and Cuaron doing quality work. However, Nolan and Jackson have done quality and quantity in terms of filmmaking.

I personally prefer Nolan but Jackson had the bigger impact.

Scorsese or Eastwood.

Yes, and Nolan deserves a mention. All his films have been good or excellent.

Jackson enteratined me a lot with LOTR but his King Kong proved me he can be really terrible. And Del Toro... all I can say about his films is that they have some fantastic make-ups, period.

Live Action:

- Clint Eastwood
- Christopher Nolan
- Peter Jackson
- Martin Scorsese
- Wes Anderson
- The Coen Brothers
- Jason Reitman
- Guillermo Del Toro

Animated:

- Brad Bird
- Andrew Stanton