Discussion: Education

Yeah, the Redder the state, the stupider the people there tend to be. Not surprised West Virginia is at the bottom of the list.

Yeah, nothing says "smart" like being able to throw librarians in jail for no good reason. Meanwhile, West Virginia's rankings in literacy, graduations, education and other things are probably dead last in this nation.

I think that the main issue with education in America is not the schools themselves but the households.

Parents are simply overstretched with very limited financial resources and free time. It's typical for both parents to work, which can also mean spending 3 or 4 hours a day in a car due to the lack of public transportation, the poor infrastructure and the overpriced housing.

Basic things are also more expensive , health insurance, education, food, and housing, the things that affect families, have all seen their prices go up far higher than inflation. It's really hard to get daycare, and for infants it can be over $500/week, depends where you live. I saw recently that summer camps can cost 250/week for pre teens.

So given these costs, parents have to work their asses off to spend very little time with their kids.

The main function of the court system and child protection services seem to be to provide a weapon for abusers. Deadbeat dads are far worse than people think, they don't just fail to pay child support, they also drown the working mothers with court costs and legal anxiety, and the court system is too slow to help.

The tax code is not helpful. The $2000/year child tax credit is small relative to other countries and relative to reality, and Congress can barely agree if they even agree to pass the smallest increase. In this case the Democrats are bad and the Republicans are worst. Parental leave is also small in the USA, at my job I get four weeks, and the parent that gives birth would get 12 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"