Toronto trustees vote in favour of Afrocentric school

Bubonic

Superhero
Reaction score
272390.bin

The Toronto District School Board approved a proposal to create the city's first Afrocentric public school after supporters and detractors pleaded their cases during a meeting last night.

Following more than two hours of public submissions, which included opposition to the motion from the mother of slain teenager Jordan Manners, the vote was recorded as 11 in favour and nine against.

One trustee was absent, while board chair John Campbell excused himself from the vote.
"I don't know if an Afrocentric school is the answer," said Sheila Ward, who represents Toronto Centre-Rosedale, but added that the proposal "is not about segregation or integration, it's about student success," before raising her hand in support.

Afterward, a crush of reporters gathered around Angela Wilson and Donna Harrow, the two women who pushed for the school as a way to help underachieving black youth succeed. Their weary but triumphant faces said it all.
"We're ecstatic," said Ms. Wilson, standing beside her co-organizer, Ms. Harrow. "We've got so many other things planned. This is not just it."

The grade levels and location of the Afrocentric school have not yet been determined.

All four recommendations put forward in a staff report, entitled Improving Success for Black Students, passed Tuesday.
In addition to working towards opening up an Afrocentric Alternative School in September, 2009, the board endorsed establishing an enriched African curriculum that touches on the histories, cultures, experiences and contributions of people of African descent "and other racialized groups," in three existing schools by the start of the next school year. It approved a staff development, research and innovation centre that looks at ways to improve school achievement for marginalized and vulnerable students, along with an action plan that tackles that issue in the TDSB.

The school board admits that a "disproportionate" number of black youth are failing in their schools. According to its statistics, 40% do not graduate, compared with about 25% board wide.

But advocates of the Afrocentric proposal say it is the existing "eurocentric" system that is failing black students, and believe that the alternative model being presented is an endeavor worth trying.

The TDSB defines an Afrocentric school as one which "uses the sources of knowledge and experiences of peoples of African descent as an integral feature of the teaching and learning environment." The school would be open to all students.

In her submission to trustees before the vote, Loreen Small, whose son Jordan Manners was shot and killed in a public high school last year, said she worried that the school would "segregate" students.

"Martin Luther King and so many of our fathers fought to come together, so blacks and whites could be together," Ms. Small said. "This black school thing, no, it ain't right."

During her presentation, Ms. Harrow said misinformation has buried the truth. The proposal "is not a black-focused school, is not a school for only black students," Ms. Harrow said. She added that an Afrocentric school would "nurture and support" all children as they strive to succeed.

"We must speak the truth," said Ms. Harrow.
"I believe one who opens school doors, closes prison doors," Ms. Wilson said. "It's not about segregation. It's about self-determination," she said.

Winston LaRose, executive director of the Jane Finch Concerned Citizens Organization, challenged that notion that public schools are beacons of diversity, saying that, in truth, many schools already "don't represent the diversity you so much talk about."
Andre Levy, who lives in the Jane and Finch neighbourhood, called the proposal a "half-baked solution to issues faced by black students."

Trustee Maria Rodrigues said she could not, in good conscience, deny "these black parents their right to establish an Afrocentric school." She voted in favour of the proposal, which she said would give students choices and work "to stop systemic discrimination" in public schools.

Gerri Gershon, who represents Don Valley West, maintained that "separating kids according to their colour is simply not the answer."

National Post

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=272389

Figure it's for the better?

To me I see problems and benefits.
The problem I see is this will encourage the current school systems to continue being Eurocentric in their teachings.
As is mentioned in the article I also see this a furthering the divide between the "races", and lead to more segregation, China centric schools etcetera.

Then again it doesn't seem like white school systems were doing much to help make a more integrative education, and many felt that they'd given up on the minority students.

Maybe if these kids grow up learning in these positive settings that promotes a positive sense of self and culture they will be the better for it.

Thoughts?

I don't want to sound insensitive, but if you can't make it in school, then you fail. There shouldn't be a school made for you just because you can't make it. Sink or swim, simple as that.

I live in Toronto and while I understand why they are doing this, I don't agree with it. Rather than create schools specifically based on race / creed / colour they need to make sure the students of any race / creed / colour are comfortable in any school they go to. If they want to focus on Black History, do it in February, Black History month, then add a month for each of the other typical genres found in Canada: European History month, Asian History month and so on.

What they really need to do is get the Guidance Counselors more involved with the students. Stuffing someone in a little room and having students visit this person once a year to take a test and be told what to do with their lives based on their answers is not counselling. Instead, as soon as a student gets a C or less on a test they should see the counselor on a regular basis (either during their lunch break, during a spare period or after hours) and get tutoring on the subject they're having difficulty with. Hopefully in some fun way, making a game of learning.

Simple answer...

If you want a 'black' child to suceed in school, educate them initially in africa and then bring them to the west for high school education

It's not the schools, rather the western portrayal of work ethics with regards to minorities.

Infact, I would say this about kids from any race, instilling an early work ethic is the key and the west doesn't have it as much as countries in africa and asia.

Simple answer...

If you want a 'black' child to suceed in school, educate them initially in africa and then bring them to the west for high school education

It's not the schools, rather the western portrayal of work ethics with regards to minorities.

Infact, I would say this about kids from any race, instilling an early work ethic is the key and the west doesn't have it as much as countries in africa and asia.

Wow! that is so politically incorrect for you to say somethign like that! I'm disappointed in you!! You disgust me!! :cmad: Get the hell out of this thread!

I agree 10000% :woot:

What. the. **** is this crap about Black kids failing because Oh, our schools are so "Eurocentric"?
WTF?
Black kids here are born here, after generations of living here.
There is nothing "African" about them.
There is nothing "Euro" about me.

Racism's bad?, mmkay?, but let's not act like morons trying to cover up for supid, lazy and economically disadvantaged Back kids. :whatever:

Sheila Ward, who represents Toronto Centre-Rosedale, but added that the proposal "is not about segregation or integration, it's about student success,"

So, I guess the Black kids couldn't make it in the White dominated schools, and if a White kid goes to this^ school, he'll fail as well, right?

God. :whatever:

Does anyone know what 24 X 12 is....I mean, in Afrocentric?

**** segregation. This can only be bad for society.

What. the. **** is this crap about Black kids failing because Oh, our schools are so "Eurocentric"?
WTF?
Black kids here are born here, after generations of living here.
There is nothing "African" about them.
There is nothing "Euro" about me.

Racism's bad?, mmkay?, but let's not act like morons trying to cover up for supid, lazy and economically disadvantaged Back kids. :whatever:

So, I guess the Black kids couldn't make it in the White dominated schools, and if a White kid goes to this^ school, he'll fail as well, right?

God. :whatever:

Does anyone know what 24 X 12 is....I mean, in Afrocentric?

I think they feel they'll be able to reach the black kids more in this sort of environment. I don't know how much credence this has.
But even though the people from current schools are many generations of North American, the history and philosophies that are thought are European.

So they feel a black kids self-esteem isn't properly nurtured or something... They don't see representations of themselves in the teachings, while whites feel like the norm.

I just figure trying to incorporate a more multicultural curriculum to existing schools would be better then segregating the kids. But they seem to feel that black kids are failing out because of how the current education system is.

From what I heard in class there is actually more segregation in American schools now then before the civil rights movement. But thats not really the same thing.

What will they do next? Send blacks back to the back then have slavery :down: I used to love my country but now they're going backwards... :csad: I'm totally against this school especially after years of trying to abolish segregation.

Wow! that is so politically incorrect for you to say somethign like that! I'm disappointed in you!! You disgust me!! :cmad: Get the hell out of this thread!

I agree 10000% :woot:
Heh,

I'm part of such a system and my ethic to work is so much different to most people around me, especially the native darkies in the west.

If a native darkie doesn't work, they can always fall back on sports or entertainment or something else as a dream. If i don't work, I have to walk home knowing i'm going to get the living **** beaten out of my ass.

That's africa for you.

Import some hardcore teachers from africa and asia to the states, In less than a generation you'll see results.

It's funny because african and asian originating kids have been surpassing western kids for donkey years in primary and secondary education. :o

3rd world indeed...

EDIT: Funny story, I had been underachieving in Maths for years in school, just scraping the high grades...

Then I got my first asian teacher, MADE me do every single example in the text book, EVERY single one, Relentless homework and work regime. Come to the exam....I got 142/150 and he was UPSET i dropped 8 marks.

That's the sort of teacher mentality that is required.

The only true people who will suffer is YOu when you lose your job to an foreign person who is capable of doing your job Twice as good for Four times as long with only half your pay...

What will they do next? Send blacks back to the back then have slavery :down: I used to love my country but now they're going backwards... :csad: I'm totally against this school especially after years of trying to abolish segregation.

You're canadian :huh:

Those crazy Canadians. Seriously, so they are goin to invest all this time and money into figuring out that the students that want to succeed will do so no matter the enviroment. This is just a classier version of "Ebonics". I'd personally be insulted.

I don't know that going as far as to bring Asian and African teachers in country is the solution, but I do get what November Rain is saying and I agree with it; our kids are being coddled at every turn instead of being given a work ethic and taught how to really push themselves when they need to and this is just another example of coddling kids and ultimately not giving them those tools for the future. It gives the kids in this school the message that the only thing they need to worry about in life is crying foul loud enough and long enough that people will give them what they want rather than knuckling down and working through strife to be successful. At some point, that will be very detrimental to them as an adult, I can only imagine.

jag

So in short their using the excuse that public schools favor whites or even asians or latinos for that matter???

As someone mentioned above...FAIL!

I don't know that going as far as to bring Asian and African teachers in country is the solution, but I do get what November Rain is saying and I agree with it; our kids are being coddled at every turn instead of being given a work ethic and taught how to really push themselves when they need to and this is just another example of coddling kids and ultimately not giving them those tools for the future. It gives the kids in this school the message that the only thing they need to worry about in life is crying foul loud enough and long enough that people will give them what they want rather than knuckling down and working through strife to be successful. At some point, that will be very detrimental to them as an adult, I can only imagine.

jag
I've had Asian and Indian professors who I couldn't understand in college.

But this is afrolicous. :up:

I've had Asian and Indian professors who I couldn't understand in college.

But this is afrolicous. :up:

Yeah, I had an English teacher in college that was Indian and no one in the class could understand a damn word he said because his accent was so thick.

jag

This reminds me when they wanted ebonics accepted as a form of language in school.

Idiots.

So I'm confused, is the woman above crying because her kid/kids are failures or is she crying out of happiness because she helped lower the standard again via race card??

They need Joe Clark.

leanonmespch2-95.JPG

Eastside.......

Afrocentrism is a lie.

I've been to black websites, lots of them for my research, and lots of them all have the same BS list of "black inventions", which credits blacks with the invention of everything from ice cream to cell phones to the helicopter.

How about the roflcopter?

56693475.roflcopter.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"