Discussion: Global Warming and Other Environmental Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Global warming is a natural part of the worlds cycle. I don't see what everyone's making a fuss about. :o

Extromaniac said:
Global warming is a natural part of the worlds cycle. I don't see what everyone's making a fuss about. :o

Not current global warming. The current trend is a direct result of mans own actions and is decidedly unnatural.

Rambo said:
Not current global warming. The current trend is a direct result of mans own actions and is decidedly unnatural.
Rambo is right, the carbon dioxide build up from the gas in cars and other thing has built up in the earth's atmosphere causing rays to heat the earth and get trapped under the polution build up.

Yeah, anyone who is doing anything to help the environment is an idiot:rolleyes: How dare people insult Man-Thing so by bringing such things as global warming to our attention.

Hey, Neanderthal, wether or not you believe in it don't you think it might be better to take some steps to protect our earth or does that cut into your "getting fat on geneticaly enhanced food and driving Hummers" time? Some people are ignorant as ****.

dialog-vega2.gif
Global warming is a myth like bigfoot, female orgasms, and eskimos!!

E. Bison said:
dialog-vega2.gif
Global warming is a myth like bigfoot, female orgasms, and eskimos!!

In Canada we actually live comfortably with all three.

Reader said:
In Canada we actually live comfortably with all three.
vega_laughing.gif
HAHAHAHAHAA! HILARIOUS!! NEXT THING YOU KNOW YOU TELL ME THE BOOGY MAN IS REAL!!

I always the a combine was a grain harvester.... I think it would be pretty painful to live inside one.

Things we CAN all do to help slow down global warming (I doubt if it can be stopped at this point):

1. Drive gas powered vehicles as little as possible (bike, walk, use electrical vehicles)

2. Use gas powered tools as little as possible (Hubby and I have a battery powered electric lawn mower, not only is it cheaper to run, it is also quieter and doesn't stink up the air when you use it)

3. Do proper maintenance on you gas powered objects. A car that is running rough creates more pollution. Likewise lawnmowers, hedge trimmers, etc. They all need regular maintenance (yearly at a minimum). Filters, spark plugs, transmissions etc should all be taken care of and replaced if necessary.

4. If you use heating or air conditioning, try to keep the temperature just within your comfortable range. Air Conditioning at 24C, Heating at 21C

5. Don't build fires and use your BBQ minimally. If you have a fire, use artificial fire logs, they have less soot & smoke.

According to the latest research, global warming is caused by increased solar activity, and not industrial pollution, as previously thought. Sure, the pollution destroys the environment and makes it more difficult to breathe, but solar flares are to blame for our atmosphere heating up, so there's really nothing we can do about it, apart from hoping that the sun calms down eventually. :o

or placing a giant mirror where the ice mass at the north pole used to be

i want to live in a portable bio sphere type thing. i have a design i could use. it would also double as a vehicle.

TheSumOfGod said:
According to the latest research, global warming is caused by increased solar activity, and not industrial pollution, as previously thought. Sure, the pollution destroys the environment and makes it more difficult to breathe, but solar flares are to blame for our atmosphere heating up, so there's really nothing we can do about it, apart from hoping that the sun calms down eventually. :o

The earth (and indeed the solar system) have always gone through cycles waxing and waning solar activity, but this latest incidence of global warming - when compared to previous 'increased solar activity' periods is unprecedented. Human industry at the very least has aggravated the effect that natural solar activity has had on the environment and atmosphere. Bottom line, human activity has greatly hampered the earth's own natural defences against solar activity, to the extent that the earth as a singular biosphere will not recover for many years, if at all.

Danalys said:
i want to live in a portable bio sphere type thing. i have a design i could use. it would also double as a vehicle.
can I buy one?

Rambo said:
The earth (and indeed the solar system) have always gone through cycles waxing and waning solar activity, but this latest incidence of global warming - when compared to previous 'increased solar activity' periods is unprecedented. Human industry at the very least has aggravated the effect that natural solar activity has had on the environment and atmosphere. Bottom line, human activity has greatly hampered the earth's own natural defences against solar activity, to the extent that the earth as a singular biosphere will not recover for many years, if at all.

Yeah, deteriorating the planet's immune system wasn't a very good idea. Damn you GM Motors! :mad:

Any new research on August 3rd SoG? I'm somewhat morbidly curious as to what happens in Israel in the next couple of days.

Rambo said:
Any new research on August 3rd SoG? I'm somewhat morbidly curious as to what happens in Israel in the next couple of days.

Not really. If it happens, it happens, and I'll be back here on Sunday with an "I TOLD YOU SO!" thread. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen, and I'll be back here on Sunday with an "I was wrong (about the prediction and ONLY about the prediction), I admit it" thread.

But right now, it seems Israel is trying to piss off Syria even more. And they also seem to be targeting Red Cross ambulances in Lebanon...

I use compact floresent lightbulbs, which save energy and I have a lot of plants in my front yard which help convert CO2 into oxygen. So yeah I'm doing my part. I'm also trying to save up for a Hybrid.

Rare, mother-of-pearl colored clouds caused by extreme weather conditions above Antarctica are a possible indication of global warming, Australian scientists said on Tuesday.

Known as nacreous clouds, the spectacular formations showing delicate wisps of colors were photographed in the sky over an Australian meteorological base at Mawson Station on July 25.

Australian Antarctic Division scientist Andrew Klekociuk said such clouds are occasionally produced by air rising over Arctic and Antarctic mountains in high polar latitudes during winter.

"You have to be in the right part of the world in winter, and have the sun just below your horizon to see them," he said.
Nacreous clouds can only form in temperatures lower than minus 112 Fahrenheit.

Meteorologist Renae Baker said a weather balloon in the vicinity of the clouds in the stratosphere about 12 miles above the Earth's surface measured temperatures as low as minus 124.6 F.

"That's about as cold as the lowest temperatures ever recorded on the surface of the Earth," Baker, who photographed the clouds, said in a statement.

Klekociuk said the rarely seen clouds, also known as polar stratospheric clouds, were more than just a curiosity.

"They reveal extreme conditions in the atmosphere, and promote chemical changes that lead to destruction of vital stratospheric ozone," he said.
Klekociuk said temperatures in the stratosphere, between 5 and 31 miles above Earth, would be expected to drop as global warming increases. Data collected over the past 25 years had reflected this, he told Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio.

"Over that time there has been a small decrease in temperature and that change is actually occurring faster than the warming at the surface of the Earth," he said.

The delicate cloud colors are created at sunset when fading light passes through tiny water-ice crystals blown along on strong jets of stratospheric air.

She said winds at the same height were measured blowing at almost 143 mph.

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_...c/20060802105109990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"