Discussion: The Economy, Fiscal Cliff, National Debt, And Other Financial Issues III

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Thread Manager, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Destructus86

Destructus86 Well-Known Member

So...how do they figure if less people are filing for unemployment that means the job market is going better?

Seems to me like most people I've talked to ran out of unemployment and saw no more reason to keep applying for it.

2. CConn

CConn Fountainhead of culture.

You know that many people who've been on unemployment for over 99 weeks?

3. Destructus86

Destructus86 Well-Known Member

Yup, I actually do. And they job hunt every single day.

4. CConn

CConn Fountainhead of culture.

Where do you live?

The only people I know on unemployment are there because its actually more lucrative than getting a new job.

5. enterthemadness

enterthemadness The Triumvirate

While it's down, not all is good.

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20130308_U_S__unemployment_rate_falls_to_7_7_percent.html

Unemployment rate goes down from 7.9% to 7.7%.

6. Kelly

Kelly #RESIST

Since they cannot calculate in those that have given up, retired before they were supposed to, teachers, church workers, other government employees, as well as those working in jobs far below their education simply to have a job?????? that number up there means absolutely nothing.

7. enterthemadness

Unofficial is or was 14.5% in Jan or Dec. Soooo...

8. Kelly

Kelly #RESIST

Nah, I believe its more around 17%....that 14% doesn't include those, like teachers, that are laid off, but do not receive unemployment in any form....

9. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

Where do all the entrepreneurs comes from in a down economy? Well, here's one answer. They're sometimes people who are so fed up with not being able to find a job, that they create one for themselves.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/class-2012-young-spaniards-launch-startups

This is why it's so important to minimize regulations and taxes for startups and small companies. It's ok to not get revenue (taxes) if it means you can cut spending (unemployment) and get people back to work.

10. Kelly

Kelly #RESIST

The same thing happened after the Bubonic Plague....:yay:

11. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

wha...?

12. enterthemadness

Lots of people dead = job openings. Boom to the middle ages job market. Those rats. :o

13. Kelly

Kelly #RESIST

lol.....there was alot of new innovations, new ideas, etc....AFTER the Bubonic Plague...

14. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

well, necessity is the mother of invention...

and competition drive necessity...

15. MrMonk

MrMonk Member

http://www.cbo.gov/publication/43907
    The Budget and Economic Outlook: Fiscal Years 2013 to 2023

february 5, 2013
    read complete document (pdf, 846 kb)
    Economic growth will remain slow this year, CBO anticipates, as gradual improvement in many of the forces that drive the economy is offset by the effects of budgetary changes that are scheduled to occur under current law. After this year, economic growth will speed up, CBO projects, causing the unemployment rate to decline and inflation and interest rates to eventually rise from their current low levels. Nevertheless, the unemployment rate is expected to remain above 7½ percent through next year; if that happens, 2014 will be the sixth consecutive year with unemployment exceeding 7½ percent of the labor force—the longest such period in the past 70 years.

If the current laws that govern federal taxes and spending do not change, the budget deficit will shrink this year to $845 billion, or 5.3 percent of gross domestic product (GDP), its smallest size since 2008. In CBO’s baseline projections, deficits continue to shrink over the next few years, falling to 2.4 percent of GDP by 2015. Deficits are projected to increase later in the coming decade, however, because of the pressures of an aging population, rising health care costs, an expansion of federal subsidies for health insurance, and growing interest payments on federal debt. As a result, federal debt held by the public is projected to remain historically high relative to the size of the economy for the next decade. By 2023, if current laws remain in place, debt will equal 77 percent of GDP and be on an upward path, CBO projects (see figure below).

16. Kelly

Kelly #RESIST

And questioning the government/church/whatever is in power at the moment...

I think we dearly need to be doing a lot of questioning of our government at the moment....and I mean LOUD QUESTIONS....because the media is not doing its job at all.

17. enterthemadness

18. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

19. enterthemadness

Min wage: I need to be increased...I am your Father.

Economy: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

20. enterthemadness

There is a saying that Good triumphs over Evil. Or Karma is a *****. Well..

http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?post=482ad53f-46bb-4b0e-9a19-97a6cf7c99fc

Walmart shows signs of self-destructing.

Here in Havelock, most of the time I go window shopping at the dvd aisle....they don't have all the new releases. Just a few or more empty rack base.

I had to order the new Van Damme movie months ago when it came out in 2012...on Amazon instead of buying it in person. Got another Van Damme movie with it. Forget the name, Assassin something. Decent, has Scott Adkins in it and that weird color yellowish look to it.

But yeah, they got it in for 5 bucks recently lol.

21. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

There are only so much costs you can cut out before there's nothing left to cut. It's the main way Wal-Mart has been functioning, and I'm not sure why investors hadn't realized this was coming (probably too busy counting their money).

Basically, Wal-Mart has finally reached the point where it can't cut employee pay/hours anymore. In fact, it passed that point, so now the supply/demand equilibrium is above what they are spending, hence a shortage.

So, Wal-Mart has a choice. Increase costs by hiring/paying more. Or continue to lose potential sales.

But they won't self destruct. They'll eventually cave in and start spending. And then they'll be able to play it up for PR when the press starts reporting that Wal-Mart is hiring in a down economy.

In the meantime, it's a good opportunity for other retailers to exploit this weakness.

22. moviedoors

moviedoors Well-Known Member

Hallelujah!

23. enterthemadness

24. mikey1974

mikey1974 Hit Paydirt With KDRT!

good.

I'll give you a perfect example - my Wal-Mart rarely puts out new DVD or Blu releases on the release date. hell, WM has a WrestleMania promo going on right now where they have a ton of disks for cheap to tie into the WWE event next weekend. this promo has been going on for nearly a month now at stores all over America. except,of course,mine, or any within 45 miles of me,that have not put any of this stuff out. Oh! and they did the same thing last year for that WrestleMania promo as well! guess that means more money that I WOULD spend at their store stays in my pocket.

25. Kelly

Kelly #RESIST

Then apparently, they make more money on the WrestleMania stuff than they do on a new DVD or Blu ray release on the release date....so what? they are in the business to make money....that is what they are supposed to do.

I think that they have simply done what Starbucks did a while back....they over built and they are now paying for it......they will do what Starbucks did, what any good business would do....look at the stores that are making the most and cut those that are not...and they will come out just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.